'05 S4 Frustrating Engine Whine - only when cold......HELP!

Richardesty

loves quattro
Reaction score
Guys - I have a work colleague whom has a frustrating problem with his 2005 S4 as below - can anyone help?

"I've an '05 model S4 that I bought from an Audi dealer last summer. Shortly after I got it I noticed that, when starting from cold, there was a whining noise a bit like a vacuum cleaner from under the bonnet. This varies with engine speed, and stops altogether after I've driven a mile or so.

I booked the car into my local Audi dealer, who agreed that it made a noise, but said it was nothing to worry about, and they had serviced several A4s that did that. If it got worse I should bring it back.

Over the last few weeks, with the bad weather, it has got much louder, so that neighbours comment on it when I drive off in the morning. I've booked it in for Thursday night so the dealer can do a cold start on Friday.

I've had a look on the internet, and there is talk of a secondary air pump whining, but I unplugged this and it made no difference.

Have you come across this before? If you've got any ideas or suggestions, I'd be grateful. I don't want to be fobbed off with the 'they're all like that sir' response again, and will contact Audi direct if the dealer won't help."

Cheers

Rich

HI there,

I have a 2005 S4 and mine makes that noise too. I have taken to to Audi and they told me its nothing to worry about and it will make that noise.

So I guess its nothing to worry about (I hope)