Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    Reverse Gear

Status

A4 1.6lt Engine comments

I would like your comments on the 1.6l 8valve engine that the A4 carries with.
    Regards [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

imported_dumpvalve

Re: A4 1.6lt Engine comments

Not stong enough for a car of the A4's weight. I thought the 1.6 was 16 valve? Maybe I'm wrong. But a 1.6, whether 8 valve 16 valve or whatever is not really the engine of choice. Even just a 1.8 would be much better.

Drew.

1st Gear

Status

1.6 developing 75 kW (102 bhp), 148 Nm. 0-100 km/h: 12.6 s; top speed: 190 km/h

OMG, i hadn't noticed that engine was an option! Whoever suggested installing that relic in the B7 should be shot.

imported_apcourtenay

i've got a 1.6 b5 and it's not too bad once it gets going, good for economy. but its quite fruhstrating at times when you could really do with a bit more power. mid-range is fairly good and not too bad at pulling off due to the low gear ratios in 1st and 2nd!

smoking a6

Status

in the a3 fwd i'd think it'd be ok, but in an a4 thats asking a lot from a 1.6, i'm sure it'd be put under a lot of stress with passengers
    why not go for a tdi? or 1.8 if going for a4

tdi will be much cheaper if you do a lot of miles in and out of town, if you only have it for the 5 min shopping run once a week, thats different

imported_Macduff

[ QUOTE ]
    i have seen many new a4s now, but i have never seen a 1.6 one yet and im shocked to find out that they actually do one, its just good to see that no-one is wasting their money buying one of the underpowered cars, the resale value of the car would drop like a stone!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure they're sold. People buy these to get the badge just like BMW 316i. The resale value is as good as any A4

3rd Gear

Status

The 1.9tdi is only just over a grand more and I bet it would be worth 2 or maybe 3k more after 3 years so you may find it is actually cheaper monthly than the 1.6.