Non-MFSW to MFSW - 3-spoke wheel in B7 S4

pdt

Reaction score
hi all

i am thinking about changing my 3-spoke wheel to a MSFW 3-spoke wheel.

Has anyone done it and is it actually do-able?

I did search, but couldn't find much on the topic, only people going from B6 to B7 steering wheels.

Are there part issues? I have heard all sorts of conflicting advice...

please help!

cheers
pdt

Yes it is possible, and not a difficult mod. As you have a Non-MFSW you may need to replace the Slip ring that goes around your existing steering wheel. There is a little re-coding to do such as the steering angle sensor.

have a read of this, its not exactly based on your upgrade but it will give you an idea of what to do
http://audiforum.us/installations/5181-idiots-guide-mfsw-install-everything-you-want-know.html

If you can tell us where you live, there maybe a few members who could help you with the mod for a few beer tokents.

Thanks Cockney Boy...

Beer tokens indeed! I have some of those available and a very nice place to cash them in nearby!

I am in West London (Hammersmith).

I am also in the process of accumulating (as my wife calls it!) all the bits to do the cruise control and the RNS-E (single to double DIN as well) upgrades/retrofits...

Anyone up for some fun? :)

I am thinking of buying the Ross-Tech latest VAG-COM too, as I don't think anyone around me has one...

Cheers
pdt

hi pdt,
i too have retro fitted rns-e and had to convert from single to double din, ive also retro-ed cruise control and a fbmfsw, non of it hard to do yourself mate, the single to double is the most time consuming but not hard at all.
as for you buying VAGCOM, its deffo one of the best things to buy for your car, theres a guy on this forum that sells them and i myself and many others will vouch for him, its probably slightly cheaper from him to. hes called "NHN" send him a pm, he will sort you out mate.

I've also accumulated the relevant parts. You'll need a new slip ring (ebay.de is the best place) and a new steering wheel control module. I don't think anyone has VCDS near me (Darlington) so not sure how to get the ABS coding for the new steering module. I don't really want to fork out over £200 for VCDS at the moment.

Wrath

Where did you find your wheel?

i am buying VCDS from NHN so should have early next week...

cheers
pdt

Haven't bought it yet, I'm going to go for a 3-spoke RS4 one, not the flat-bottomed one as I'd need a new airbag. There are several on ebay.de. Just type in: audi lenkrad

There are a few kicking around on the UK ebay but most have bad looking photos from scrapyards. You're looking at just over £200 for a new one.