Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    178

    SD CARD HELP!!!!

    Hi i bought a 2gb sd card, loaded about 18-20 albums. When inserted in my sd slot in my ride says 188mb and i can only get 2 albums up and playing.. Can someone help me out on this on getting me to see all my albums or sounds.. thank you

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Dazmo's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by jaceyq View Post
    Hi i bought a 2gb sd card, loaded about 18-20 albums. When inserted in my sd slot in my ride says 188mb and i can only get 2 albums up and playing.. Can someone help me out on this on getting me to see all my albums or sounds.. thank you

    Dont all the files have to have a limited amount of characters in their names otherwise they dont show up? im sure its something about the number of letters/characters in a title that causes it not to show.

    Its either that or how the files have been recorded, google it mate because i had the same problem but it was ages ago and i cant remember how i fixed it.


    Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

  4. #3
    AuldReekie's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by jaceyq View Post
    Hi i bought a 2gb sd card, loaded about 18-20 albums. When inserted in my sd slot in my ride says 188mb and i can only get 2 albums up and playing.. Can someone help me out on this on getting me to see all my albums or sounds.. thank you

    I assume we are talking RNSe/A4 equiv here: You can only have 8 directories/folders one any one card, therefore 18-20 albums is a no go in a folder each. You could create 8 folders and put multiple tracks in it i.e. two albums. The max amount of files/tracks is 256 (iirc) per card, irrespective of card size.

    Not had a coffee yet, but I am sure that is all accurate; you can double check by searching the forum as it has been posted previously.

  5. #4
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    178
    ok, think i got what you saying now.. I should put the other album or songs into the other 2 folders that are showing up on my rsne... I will give it go and see..thanks

  6. #5
    AuldReekie's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by jaceyq View Post
    ok, think i got what you saying now.. I should put the other album or songs into the other 2 folders that are showing up on my rsne... I will give it go and see..thanks
    Sorry Jace, I have just re-read my pre-coffee post and see I haven't made it all that clear. What I mean is you should really start again and create 8 folders - so if you only had 8 albums it would be fine as each one would have its own folder.

    But as you have 18 or so albums, you are going to have to put at least two albums in each folder.

    I appreciate that isn't a great solution as you will have to rename all the tracks beginning with numbers (001, 002, etc) otherwise the songs from different albums will be jumbled.

    I get around this by having a couple of cards, each with a maximum of 8 folders/albums on it. Hope that's clearer bud.

  7. #6
    Wrath's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    1,147
    I didn't realise they had that restriction, how annoying.
    Nathan

    Red Audi A4 B7 S-Line with Leather/Alcantara interior

    Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

  8. #7
    PetrolDave's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    1,467
    Quote Originally Posted by AuldReekie View Post
    You can only have 8 directories/folders one any one card.
    Sorry but that's not true.

    I have a SD card with 25 folders - and they all played in my previous RNS-E without any problem.

    (I say previous RNS-E because I now have a 2010 RNS-E which uses SDHC cards and doesn't have this restriction.)

    Quote Originally Posted by AuldReekie View Post
    The max amount of files/tracks is 256 (iirc) per card, irrespective of card size.
    Spot on - 256 is the limt but in that 256 you have to incldue MP3 files, folders and M3U playlists (if you use them).

    The other restrictions are:

    1) no file must have a pathname of longer than 64 characters.

    2) with some (older) versions of RNS-E software some characters in a filename or folder name can make the tracks unplayable - characters such as pling "!".
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

  9. #8
    AuldReekie's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    Sorry but that's not true.

    I have a SD card with 25 folders - and they all played in my previous RNS-E without any problem.
    If it's not true (and I have no reason to not believe what you say of course), then Audi are responsible for the duff info as my user manual states, "Max 400 files per medium, max 255 files per directory with a max. of 8 directories."

    I understand directories to mean folders, if that is not the case I will be rather annoyed as I bought multiple cards on that basis.

    Can you advise further please Dave? Thanks.
    Last edited by AuldReekie; 15th January 2010 at 15:57. Reason: typo

  10. #9
    Wrath's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    1,147
    I wonder if that means 8 directories/folders deep.
    Nathan

    Red Audi A4 B7 S-Line with Leather/Alcantara interior

    Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

  11. #10
    AuldReekie's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    I wonder if that means 8 directories/folders deep.
    Ah yes, I hadn't though of it that way before I must admit; I took it literally as 8 folders total. I will have a mess around this weekend (as I can get to my car now) and report back.

    OP: Any joy at your end?

  12. #11
    PetrolDave's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    1,467
    Quote Originally Posted by AuldReekie View Post
    If it's not true (and I have no reason to not believe what you say of course), then Audi are responsible for the duff info as my user manual states, "Max 400 files per medium, max 255 files per directory with a max. of 8 directories."

    I understand directories to mean folders, if that is not the case I will be rather annoyed as I bought multiple cards on that basis.
    Not to beat about the bush, the manual is b*ll*cks!

    I've got 9 SD cards, all with well over 8 folders/directories, all with over 400 files - and they all play fine on the RNS-E.

    I use a directory structure of //artist/album so I only go 2 folder/directories deep, and I store all my playlist in the root folder so they can be easily selected.

    In earlier manuals Audi were saying that the maximum size of SD card supported was 512MB...

    Basically, don't trust a word the manuals say about the electronics in our cars.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO