JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

Audi iPod connection

Had my Audi (08 A4 2.0TDi cab) a few months now and after help from this group I was able to upgrade to heated door mirrors, based on this success I would like to ask another question.

My car came with the Audi iPod dock located in the glove box and a quick try with an iPod Nano proved it worked. I've recently tried the latest iTouch and whilst it will play it won't charge. When I was last in the dealers I'm sure I over heard a similar tale with the result being the voltage changing from 12v to 5v on later iPods and the cable not being compatible so a replacement was needed.

So my questions are:

1. Does the voltage thing sound correct and if so is there a newer cable available which will work on the latest iPod models?
    2. My other option is ebay for an older iPod just for the car but I can't determine which exact models will work with the Audi cable I have fitted. I was looking at a 6th generation classic with 80Gb.
    3. Finally do any of the Audi iPod fitting adaptors work for iTouch models as I can't get the pieces I have make it line up correctly and securely.

As usual any help most appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

VW-7 Audi-1

Status
    Hello old-man
    This is my first contribution to the forum so please be gentle.
    I am picking up my audi b7 2.0 TDI S-line Avant on Thursday and stumbled across this great forum to catch up on whats going on in the audi scene.
    I noticed your post and thought I would point you in the right direction, which hopefully would save you having to renew the entire cable as you suggest. There is a product on the market which basically plugs on to the end of your cable (or any other older speaker dock etc) then you plug your ipod/iphone into the other end and bobs your uncle. This converter basically alters the charging points on the cable end to suit the newer ipods/iphones.
    If you fancy checking out the details I have found one for sale by a uk seller on ebay for about 14. Just run a search for ipod converter 12v 5v and you should be able to find a few.
    If you dont like ebay then i am pretty sure you could find one elsewhere now you know they exist.
    Hope this helps and saves you some effort and money.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the heads up and welcome (I'm relatively new here myself) but the place is full of info. I had seen something similar but I need to buy a dock extension lead as well due to the location of the connection in the glove box.

Thanks again and good look with the new car.