Chris NottAH Fabrications

Thread: Snow chains?

Neutral

Status

Snow chains?

Morning all - has anyone purchased/used snow chains on a Avant 2.0T Special Edition (or any other for that matter!). Any reccommendations on where's a good place to get them/type to use etc.?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Just out of curiosity why exactly do you need snow chains? Do you live out in the countryside or have to go anywhere in the countryside? If not, then I'm a little confused!

Neutral

Status
    Yes, down a 2 mile farm track that has several inches of compacted snow and ice on it!

Reverse Gear

Status

Neutral

Status
    Don't risk chains and the damage they can cause (not to mention the pain in the ar$e fitting/removal). Try http://www.roofbox.co.uk/car-snow-socks/

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by IainP View Post
    Yes, down a 2 mile farm track that has several inches of compacted snow and ice on it!
    Ahh, thats okay then! Am getting annoyed by all the city folk panicking because there's a little bit fluffy water on the roads... Its snow, not the white death from above!

Its no wonder, for a country that "regularly" has snow, we become the laughing stock of Europe when faced with a bit of very cold rain.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have a set of spikes spider sport chains and they work v. well with the alloys on my S4. The chains clip on to a plate that you attach to the wheel nuts so protect them completely from scratches. They are fairly pricey though, but the snow socks mentioned wear out quickly so it may be worth it if this stuff happens every year!! Heres where I got mine: Spikes Spider 'Sport'

Hope that helps!

Gievf Buckets

Status
    i have a set of all weather tyres which i paid 30 quid to have studded, theyre on my stock set of alloys so when the bad weather comes i swap over i also have a set of ice tyres for extra grip on the rear, theyre at least 1000 times better and well worth it, i think chains are perhaps ott