A4 S-line - is it my tyres? - rubbish in the snow

MSJ

Reaction score
Hi

This is my first post but I have had my A4 for a few years. It is a A4 Sline 2006 2.0 TDI with the 18" alloys and it has done 36k with full leather.

This year with the combination of failling snow and ice I have been very dissapointed with its performance and grip in the snow.

The car has michelin pilot sports all around and the fronts are new with 7mm of tread. Last week I had to be recoverd as the car could not get traction up a hill which many other cars could (renault laguna, Passat TDI sport, Corsa etc). It was beyond embarrasing but had comfort that a Lexus Is220 was in the same position as me.

The recovery guy could not beleive how bad the A4 was and said it was the tyres, I had traction control on, oFF, setting off in second but the wheels were just spinning and even after getting going the car going it would just come to a stop and start to polish the surface.

The conditions were snow and ice and not show stopping a inch and 1/2".

I told my wife maybe I should trade up to a RS4 :think:

On a serious note is it the tyres? any advice appreciated, running perm snow tyres is not a option in winter. I have seen a few other similar A4's struggling like me also.

Thanks

It's not so much the tyres (although Michelin have a notoriously rigid compound which means they last forever, but aren't very 'sticky') more the wheels.

You were overtaken by 'lesser vehicles' because they don't have 245-width tyres. Narrow tyres are needed to cut through snow, and on top of that, good traction on ice. The likelihood is that your wider wheels were spinning on the snow and, as you say, polishing it to an ice-like condition, on top of the layer of ice that was already there.

Would Quattro have helped? Possibly. Although there's a good chance that with the same wheels and tyres, you'd have just had more fun spinning four wheels, not two.

Winter-spec tyres and a set of 16" alloys with a narrower profile might be the solution to your (and everyone else's) problems in this sort of weather.

quattro makes a big difference, having been in the same situation with my octavia vRS last year, not having a dead set of wheels to drag makes a big difference,

get some cheap wheels off ebay and get yourself a set of winter tyres, makes a huge difference, im doing the same even with quattro, just so i can stop

I have Michelin PS2's allround on mine and I didn't get stuck even doing a hill start in thick snow and ice. I know mine is quattro and it makes a big difference but I was well impressed how the tyres performed.
I can assure you that the PS2's are a "sticky" compound, the wear rate on mine will bear testament to that and in no way "last forever" as previously stated.

Even though mines a quatty, it's aweful in this weather. It's defo. the wheel/tyre combination. I'm scouring the net for a decent set of winter wheels/tyres which are the right offset/PCD for a decent price.

Last edited:
In the snow and ice last winter I had 275 Goodyear F1 tyres on my RS4 and had no traction problems at all, this year I'm back to 255 Michelin PS2s and they're noticeably less grippy. But then the PS2s last 15,000 miles and the F1s last 10,000 miles - so the PS2s are a harder compound.

Been looking at Vredestein Wintrac tyres...

A lad at work has Vredestein Wintracs on his A5q. He's running 19 inch alloys though and paid £1K for the tyres :sign_omg:

Bit too much money for me.....

Last edited:
Use PS2's on my 3.2 A4 Cab and have had no issues at all this year, great tyres (and mine are close to the wear bars now !!) -

PS2's are a good all rounder but no summer tyre is any good in these conditions. If you try winter tyres you won't belive the difference, and they're still pretty good up to about 10 degrees so almost worth having a set on all the time!

This is my first post but I have had my A4 for a few years. It is a A4 Sline 2006 2.0 TDI with the 18" alloys and it has done 36k with full leather.

This year with the combination of failling snow and ice I have been very dissapointed with its performance and grip in the snow.

The car has michelin pilot sports all around and the fronts are new with 7mm of tread. Last week I had to be recoverd as the car could not get traction up a hill which many other cars could (renault laguna, Passat TDI sport, Corsa etc). It was beyond embarrasing but had comfort that a Lexus Is220 was in the same position as me.

I am pleased in a way that someone else has exactly the same problem. My car is appalling in the snow. Mines shod with Dunlops and I've been stuck several times. Just before Christmas I had 5 men pushing me up a hill which other "lesser" cars were going up and still I couldn't make it. Not sure if ESP makes it more troublesome or actually helps but I'm very disappointed.

It feels much worse when the wife's C-Max gets off the drive and I can't.

PS2's are a good all rounder but no summer tyre is any good in these conditions.
I was commenting that not all summer tyres are as bad - certainly the F1 Asymmetrics are better than the PS2s in my experience.

Without a doubt a set of winter tyres is looking like a better idea all the time - the forecast for the South for the end of the week and into next week is night time temperatures down to -10 or -11.

I agree with you guys, mine is the same with my conti 3s and michellin pilot exaltos, there great even in the rain but in the snow i cant go round a round about without almost sliding off it!

Theres no point in me buying winter tyres now as winter is almost gone, but i think the idea of cheap wheels and winter tyres just for next winter is a good idea!

So can someone recommend a good winter tyre? and do i keep the same profile or will i need a different profile tyre? as opposed to 235/40/18?

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys, glad I am not alone on this one. the hunt for some winter tyres starts :)

Hi there ! Snap ! My first post too and I'm on to lament the horror of the past few weeks when my A4 TFSi has been totally out of control when other cars are having no problems at all . I had to be rescued twice and on several occaisions couldnt get to work as could not get up a hill with a minimal incline .Like you my tyres were just spinning embedding deeper into the snow!More worryingly half an hour later when I did get going the car was weaving uncontrollably form side to side .Its a miracle I did not hit a pedestrian.I have lost confidence in the car ,feeling I had more control at the dodgems at the carnival! Like you I suspect it is the tyres but to for out money for a few weeks would prove quite expensive but what price safety??

Been talking to an RS6 owner who said his has been total crap in the snow but must say my front wheel drive with cheap FEDARALS on was ok then put 4 new UNIROYALS on and the difference is superb :thumbsup:

this is a bit bizzare.....

I've got Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's which are down to the wear limiters and my car has been impeccable in the ice and snow..........doesn't like lots of water mind!

I do have quattro but surely that doesn't make THAT much differece?