Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 161920212223242526272829 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,040 of 1140
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 2.0 TDI oil pump / balance shaft failure?

  1. #1001
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrier1964 View Post
    A4 on a 55 plate - had a full indy service end of May before a holiday in France which added about 850 miles.
    Week last Friday on my way to work Low pressure light came on in the M62 roadworks - unable to stop - scary drive with HGVS right up my rear end !

    Carried on in "limp mode" to work - approx 5 miles and checked oil. Was okay on dipstick.

    Left all morning.....started okay in the afternoon but as soon as any revs applied red warning light came on - low oil pressure
    Car stopped and towed to my reliable indy garage.

    One week later (as per pics) - front end off and oil pump out.....seems as though I have the chain driven pump even though my Vin shows as a "later" wauzzz 8E96A model !!!!! (one to be aware of for those who think they might get away with it )....

    Attachment 17692

    and my poor car in bits !!


    Attachment 17693


    Upshot is the mechanic has contacted Audi WHO OPENLY ADMITTED THERE WAS AN ISSUE WITH CHAIN DRIVEN PUMPS and replacement parts costing £136 are going to be here next Tues to convert it to a gear driven version (well thats what I understand anyway) - Mechanic says engine is spotless inside - he showed me the sump and he said there was no swarf and he was amazed at how clean the whole engine was !

    Just a couple of questions

    1) How likely is my engine to be knackered even after all this work (considering I ran it for about 5 miles in limp mode - my mechanic seems to think I might just have got away with it as my oil levels were good and I didnt thrape the internals off it when I limped to work - He cannot see any scoring on the pump and the temp never rose above normal

    2) This conversion on the oil pump.....seems very cheap considering the prices some unfortunates have had to shell out in this forum - and can some put it in simple terms how it can be converted at such a good price ?

    3) Car has done 67k - just how good a fix will this be - never had a moment bother with it at all - usual tyres and brakes - only thing to go before this was a rear indicator light in May this year - I have agreed to have timing belt done and a new water pump whilst it is in bits .......is there anything else he should change at this stage ?

    4) Honest opinion - keep or get shut ? - I did look at a new Mazda 6 today......beautiful car

    5) Last question - I also took a test drive in one of the 2013 face lifted Skoda Superbs - wonderful car as well.....BUT is the TDI engine in that likely to have oil pump problems as well ? - I understand its a VAG engine in that and I would like to know if the chain /balancer problems have been fixed ?

    Sorry for all the questions.....just a bit sickened over the "illness" to what has been a very good motor

    Thanks

    In response to your questions and using the same notation my answers are as follows;

    1) Your mans the mechanic, Iam not and have not seen the car but when mine went I needed new bearing shells.I got away with out replacing the turbo.

    2) Conversion from a chain driven unit to a gear driven unit is EXPENSIVE and cannot be done for the price of the parts you are quoting period! The cost of the parts from Audi is circa £1000-1400 from my own recollections going back to late 2011.Please note what I am saying , parts for a full chain to gear conversion using approved Audi parts.

    3) My own BLB chain driven unit failed at 68k and after the repair which cost me circa £2000 including a new water pump and timing belt kit at Audi Teesside ( this was with 50% off labour and 20% off the parts) my car is (in the engine department) fine after nearly 90k.That said I have recently replaced the turbo at a further £850 and the EGR valve for £250.........geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

    4) My opinion is get shot if you can afford to ( then again can you afford to keep it ............)

    5) No idea.

    Good luck with the car and with whatever you decide.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #1002
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    28
    Hi all I have an 05 PD140. I'm the 2nd owner and at 86k it seems fine. No rattles etc. I bought it from an independent dealer but it was previously owned as an Audi fleet car. My question is, has anyone got a b7 2.0tdi and not had a problem? I'm un aware if my chain has been changed and I'm not too sure how to find out (but touch wood all is well at the minute) but its always at the back of my mind on long journeys / on motorways. I love the car and would love to trust it but reading all these reviews is slightly alarming especially as I don't have 2k+ to spend on repairs.

    any help is appreciated

  4. #1003
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt10160 View Post
    Hi all I have an 05 PD140. I'm the 2nd owner and at 86k it seems fine. No rattles etc. I bought it from an independent dealer but it was previously owned as an Audi fleet car. My question is, has anyone got a b7 2.0tdi and not had a problem? I'm un aware if my chain has been changed and I'm not too sure how to find out (but touch wood all is well at the minute) but its always at the back of my mind on long journeys / on motorways. I love the car and would love to trust it but reading all these reviews is slightly alarming especially as I don't have 2k+ to spend on repairs.

    any help is appreciated
    I would suggest you take some time to read this whole thread and then make your own conclusions.
    There are lots of cars out there that haven't had this problem and there are quite a few that have and will have it.......................
    Luck of the draw for the majority.

  5. #1004
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    11
    mines a 54 2.0 tdi 140 blb although i have other problems with car its done 174,000 miles and oil pump is fine

  6. #1005
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by ifsot View Post
    mines a 54 2.0 tdi 140 blb although i have other problems with car its done 174,000 miles and oil pump is fine
    You may have been lucky and the oil pump issue resolved by others and before you bought the car.
    Either way at 174,000 that's a respectable mileage and good luck to you.

  7. #1006
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    36
    Hi Guys,

    Gutted to have just found this thread - I bought a late 2005 (Nov) Audi A4 2.0 140 about a month ago, looking at the HPI check it appears to have the BCB engine (BLB 106840). How can I confirm this? Firstly is this issue only on automatic models or manuals too? The car has done 72k and has full Audi main dealer service history, it drives perfectly but now i've spotted this thread i'm already contemplating selling it! Is there an easy way I can confirm if my engine won't suffer the failure? There's a pretty good specialist garage near me so wondering if it's worth taking it there for them to have a look?

    Thanks,

    Alex

  8. #1007
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    607
    [QUOTE=alex350r;1943021]Hi Guys,

    Gutted to have just found this thread - I bought a late 2005 (Nov) Audi A4 2.0 140 about a month ago, looking at the HPI check it appears to have the BCB engine (BLB 106840). How can I confirm this? Firstly is this issue only on automatic models or manuals too? The car has done 72k and has full Audi main dealer service history, it drives perfectly but now i've spotted this thread i'm already contemplating selling it! Is there an easy way I can confirm if my engine won't suffer the failure? There's a pretty good specialist garage near me so wondering if it's worth taking it there for them to have a look?

    Thanks,

    Alex[/QUOTE

    I would suggest you read the last 5-10 pages of this thread and then make up your own mind what's best for you.
    Good luck .

  9. #1008
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    36
    Thanks Paul - I've read as many pages of this thread as I can without going crazy! Basically what I've decided to do is go and speak to my local Audi dealer - Nottingham Audi. I've booked an appointment with one of their managers and have made him aware what it is regarding. I'm going to go in and try to reason with them at first but I'm willing to kick up a fuss if they won't help me out. My car has FASH and I shall be making it clear that I want the conversion to a geared unit done for free and that I'm not 'waiting' for it to fail. Or I'm going to get them to give me something in writing that says if I suffer the fault they will carry out the work FOC. I'm planning on printing out some info to take it in with me - just in case they start denying it etc.

    Can anyone point me in the direction of some good blogs or posts which describe the issues in detail?

    Also can someone explain to me in more detail what the issue with the balance shaft is exactly? I understand the oil pump failure as this is due to the plastic tensioner breaking therefore the oil pump doesn't pump enough oil around the engine etc etc. I shall talk to them about both these issues, am I right in saying that the preventative fix for the latter of the two (balance shaft) is cheaper than the conversion to gears on the oil pump?

    I'll let you know how I get on - fingers crossed.

    Cheers

    Alex

  10. #1009
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by alex350r View Post
    Thanks Paul - I've read as many pages of this thread as I can without going crazy! Basically what I've decided to do is go and speak to my local Audi dealer - Nottingham Audi. I've booked an appointment with one of their managers and have made him aware what it is regarding. I'm going to go in and try to reason with them at first but I'm willing to kick up a fuss if they won't help me out. My car has FASH and I shall be making it clear that I want the conversion to a geared unit done for free and that I'm not 'waiting' for it to fail. Or I'm going to get them to give me something in writing that says if I suffer the fault they will carry out the work FOC. I'm planning on printing out some info to take it in with me - just in case they start denying it etc.

    Can anyone point me in the direction of some good blogs or posts which describe the issues in detail?

    Also can someone explain to me in more detail what the issue with the balance shaft is exactly? I understand the oil pump failure as this is due to the plastic tensioner breaking therefore the oil pump doesn't pump enough oil around the engine etc etc. I shall talk to them about both these issues, am I right in saying that the preventative fix for the latter of the two (balance shaft) is cheaper than the conversion to gears on the oil pump?

    I'll let you know how I get on - fingers crossed.

    Cheers

    Alex
    Hello Alex,

    I for one am more than a little tired of this thread as all the answers to your questions are in it to be read by all.
    Rant over, here's a quick summary of your situation :

    1) Audi will give you nothing , period !
    2) There are no preventative measures on the BLB units. Either get it converted to a Geared unit or have the existing tensioner , gears, cogged wheels and chain replaced as per the original design intent or perhaps engineer a 1.9 tdi type oil pump conversion.
    3) Do buggerall and trust to fortune.

    Good luck, I am now finished with this thread in its entirety as Iam naffed off answering similar questions again and again ..................
    CHEZ likes this.

  11. #1010
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    36
    Hi Paul,

    Thanks for your reply and I'm sorry for making you answer the same questions again - thanks for taking the time too though.

    I'm pretty keen on keeping the car as I really like it, one thing I'm considering now is an extended warranty - either from Audi or Warranty Direct. Has anyone had any luck claiming for a BLB Oil Pump failure on one of these warranties? Most now cover wear & tear too so I can't see it being a problem. I'd happily pay per month in the knowledge that if it does fail I won't have to fork out.

    Let's see what Audi say tomorrow!!

    Cheers

    Alex

  12. #1011
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    17
    hi guys

    i haven't read all the posts but my mate Bobby who works for Audi told me to to stay away from the early b7 2.0 tdi mainly because of this reason( he has done alot of repairs to these engines) he also told the dual mass flywheel clutch is pretty crap and doesn't last long common problem

    Marco

  13. #1012
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Saddleworth ,England
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by alex350r View Post
    Hi Paul,

    Thanks for your reply and I'm sorry for making you answer the same questions again - thanks for taking the time too though.

    I'm pretty keen on keeping the car as I really like it, one thing I'm considering now is an extended warranty - either from Audi or Warranty Direct. Has anyone had any luck claiming for a BLB Oil Pump failure on one of these warranties? Most now cover wear & tear too so I can't see it being a problem. I'd happily pay per month in the knowledge that if it does fail I won't have to fork out.

    Let's see what Audi say tomorrow!!

    Cheers

    Alex
    And what did your garage say when you went to see them ?

  14. #1013
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by gradwells View Post
    And what did your garage say when you went to see them ?
    Well as predicted they won't do anything for me. The guy I spoke to (the aftersales manager) took me into his office because he knew I was going to kick off, I'd taken in a stack of paperwork regarding the faults. Basically they aren't prepared to do a 'preventative' repair for something that may never happen. Anyhow after the meeting I got in touch by e-mail and CC'ed the Dealer Principal in from Nottingham Audi. An e-mail thread between us has been going on for some time now and they've just opened a case with Audi UK and say I have to deal with them now. I've sent an e-mail to Audi UK along with a letter to the CEO (Martin Sander) and received a reply yesterday to say I will receive a reply from him soon. I won't give up and will continue the fight until they either do a preventative repair or give me the assurance that if it happens they will fix it FOC.

    I'll keep you updated!

    Cheers

    Alex
    ShuB7 likes this.

  15. #1014
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Saddleworth ,England
    Posts
    79
    Its a difficult situation for us owners as if we run the cars for long enough they will fail , its almost as if these problems were designed in from day one --- at least I got the injectors under the recall . As there is nothing else on the market that I want I probably will get the preventative word done by a indi specialist . As I cant bear driving around in something that could go low / no oil pressure at any moment wrecking the whole engine and if that happened I would never trust it again so better to pay now . But the shaft at least should be a recall and free .

  16. #1015
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by gradwells View Post
    Its a difficult situation for us owners as if we run the cars for long enough they will fail , its almost as if these problems were designed in from day one --- at least I got the injectors under the recall . As there is nothing else on the market that I want I probably will get the preventative word done by a indi specialist . As I cant bear driving around in something that could go low / no oil pressure at any moment wrecking the whole engine and if that happened I would never trust it again so better to pay now . But the shaft at least should be a recall and free .
    Yes it's a very difficult situation indeed. Audi can't deny that it's a poor design otherwise why replace the tensioner and chain with a spur drive. And as for the shaft yes that should also be a recall. Have you considered a warranty with someone like Warranty Direct to protect you against these failures? I've actually got it in writing from them that they will cover these particular failures. I'm thinking about taking it up myself but am kind of waiting to see how I get on with Audi UK.

  17. #1016
    mehtaman's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wembley, Middlesex
    Posts
    63
    What is the average cost of getting the balance shaft repaired?

    After a quick skim-read of this topic and an online valuation of my car, it could be close to effectively writing off the car in terms of the value of a repair job against the value of the car.
    I can only hope my car doesn’t suffer from this failure…
    | Audi A4/B7 2007 | 2.0TDi | S-Line | RNS-E | 18" S-Line Alloys |
    | Modifications | Pure Highway 300Di DAB | BlueFin Remap |


  18. #1017
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3
    Hi
    just bought my first ever Audi A4 S line 2.0 Tdi Quattro 170 2007 BRD028485 -

    never cared about my previous car but now after joining this form im well worried about all the problem thats been mention here.

    spoke with Audi yesterday and they did confirm the car did have all 4 injectores replaced last year.

    my question is, what i need to do to take good care of this car.. im planing to keep it for 5 more years...

    many thanks in advance
    Shu

  19. #1018
    tut_gareth's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuB7 View Post
    Hi
    just bought my first ever Audi A4 S line 2.0 Tdi Quattro 170 2007 BRD028485 -

    never cared about my previous car but now after joining this form im well worried about all the problem thats been mention here.

    spoke with Audi yesterday and they did confirm the car did have all 4 injectores replaced last year.

    my question is, what i need to do to take good care of this car.. im planing to keep it for 5 more years...

    many thanks in advance
    Shu
    Hi Shu In my B7 2.0tdi Quattro pre-purchase research,, as I too plan to keep it for 5+yrs I have concluded that the B7 2.0Tdi Q will need to have a DPF delete, EGR delete and a remap to remove dpf regeneration program and a mild power tweek of course, then oil pump hex shaft upgrade along with timing belts etc... oh and i'm thinking that the dual mass flywheel and clutch may need to be looked into too... just a couple of things....


    I have recently heard but not really found much info about a possible oil pump conversion on the 2.0tdi to one from a 1.9tdi PD (aka old fashioned but reliable without a balancer shaft)... Can anyone confirm if this has been succesfully done??

  20. #1019
    Macdoon's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,569
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuB7 View Post
    Hi
    just bought my first ever Audi A4 S line 2.0 Tdi Quattro 170 2007 BRD028485 -

    never cared about my previous car but now after joining this form im well worried about all the problem thats been mention here.

    spoke with Audi yesterday and they did confirm the car did have all 4 injectores replaced last year.

    my question is, what i need to do to take good care of this car.. im planing to keep it for 5 more years...

    many thanks in advance
    Shu
    I have the 170, had it 3 yrs and still love it. Injectors done under recall, I have had the oil pump balancer shaft and hex key drive swapped out for a remanufactured one with the 100mm hex key a preventative measure.

    EGR valve has a tendency to block up, so have it cleaned out it causes rough idle on cold start up and a bit of smoke.

    Keep up to date with oil and filter services, I also replace the fuel filter once a year.

    Having owned 20 Audi's since 1987, the B7 Tdi is not the best they have come up with, that said there are thousands on the road with no issues.

    Preventative measures is the way forward with this motor.
    ShuB7 likes this.
    A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

    Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior.

  21. #1020
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    58

    Help oil pump headache

    Hi I'm new to this forum and am looking for some advice. I've just bought a 2007 2.0L tdi sline Quattro and am hearing horror stories about oil pump failure. My engine code is BRD. Can someone tell me if mine suffers with this problem and if so whats the cheapest preventative measures to take..?. Thanks in advance

  22. #1021
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbowers1979 View Post
    Hi I'm new to this forum and am looking for some advice. I've just bought a 2007 2.0L tdi sline Quattro and am hearing horror stories about oil pump failure. My engine code is BRD. Can someone tell me if mine suffers with this problem and if so whats the cheapest preventative measures to take..?. Thanks in advance

    I would respectfully suggest you read the last 10 pages of this thread and then make your own mind up.
    I would also get a back issue of Audi Driver November 2012 for a reasonably concise summary. If you have an iphone you can get an Audi Driver app and buy the back copy.

  23. #1022
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2
    I have a 170 Sline special edition A4 Avant Quattro, 07 plate owned from new with full service history by Audi dealer. 97000 miles

    Last week the car suffered oil pressure loss and was towed to the dealers, have been informed that it needs new engine and turbo, £9000, but they will do it for half because of the service history............had a new clutch and flywheel in July, transfer pump (?) failed in Jan which needed a new fuel system, spent thousands on this car this year

    Then I found this forum, and this thread! Imagine my surprise shock and horror at the contents.

    Is there no recompense to be had from VAG? Is there any way to determine how many cars have been affected, would trading standards be interested?

  24. #1023
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyboy View Post
    I have a 170 Sline special edition A4 Avant Quattro, 07 plate owned from new with full service history by Audi dealer. 97000 miles

    Last week the car suffered oil pressure loss and was towed to the dealers, have been informed that it needs new engine and turbo, £9000, but they will do it for half because of the service history............had a new clutch and flywheel in July, transfer pump (?) failed in Jan which needed a new fuel system, spent thousands on this car this year

    Then I found this forum, and this thread! Imagine my surprise shock and horror at the contents.

    Is there no recompense to be had from VAG? Is there any way to determine how many cars have been affected, would trading standards be interested?
    Audi do not care - do not waste your breath.

    However, you have 6 years from date of purchase to claim from dealer under sale of goods act - but only if you bought from a dealer, as you and I did. A £25/30k car from Audi would be expected to last more than 6 years and 97,000 miles ergo you have a genuine claim. The test is what the man in the street would expect. See a solicitor fast - 6 yrs is critical.

    I claimed successfully - about 80% of costs. But still they didn't take me seriously until my solicitor wrote a letter - then it was settled inside a week. My posts are over a year ago on this site.

    Good luck

  25. #1024
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    59
    I have today had my gear drive replaced prior to failure. I brought the replacement gear drive and balance shaft from KMB parts in Sheffield and they recommended MB Services in Sheffield to replace the drive. Dropped car off this morning picked it up at tea time. Courtesy car for the day and when I got back i said that I had had enough of having to multi press the unlock key on the fob to unlock the whole car so they just plugged the computer in and changed it so that it would all unlock on one press of the button.

    Superb service.

    I know that it is not much help to those on here with problems already but for £600 supplied and fitted it takes the worry out of the oil pump and the what seems to be inevitable blow up.

    I spoke to the owner and he stated that the cars generally go bang between 75,000 - 100,000 miles and he is doing lots of them, generally takes out the turbo and costs £2,500 - £3,000 to fix. They one on the ramps whilst I was there.

    My drive was worn and the hex clearly should 'polishing' where it fits into the balance shaft. i would say 3 millimeters rotational movement, which doesn't sound alot but when you've only got the smallest of edges to drive the oil pump thats more than enough in my mind. The refurbished drive is a 8mm hex drive instead of 6mm and the depth is 100mm not the 74mm. Its strange but when you physically see the difference it brings home how fragile the oil drive is as standard prior to modification. i looked at the new one prior to fixture and the unit taken from my car.

    Its alot of money for something thats not broke agreed, but reading 26 pages of bad news meant i could either bury my head in the sand and say that it wont happen to me, and if it did try and find £3000 plus the finance payments to fix a paperweight or 20% of the possible failure price insure against it.

    Just my comments
    tut_gareth likes this.

  26. #1025
    Macdoon's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,569
    Exactly the reason why I took the pre-emptive measure, can't fault the service from KMB
    A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

    Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior.

  27. #1026
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    59
    Any issues since ?, and does the constant thinking about the oil pump wear off after a while ?

  28. #1027
    Macdoon's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald man View Post
    Any issues since ?, and does the constant thinking about the oil pump wear off after a while ?
    No issues at all, and yes it does wear off lol
    A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

    Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior.

  29. #1028
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by RH172 View Post
    Audi do not care - do not waste your breath.

    However, you have 6 years from date of purchase to claim from dealer under sale of goods act - but only if you bought from a dealer, as you and I did. A £25/30k car from Audi would be expected to last more than 6 years and 97,000 miles ergo you have a genuine claim. The test is what the man in the street would expect. See a solicitor fast - 6 yrs is critical.

    I claimed successfully - about 80% of costs. But still they didn't take me seriously until my solicitor wrote a letter - then it was settled inside a week. My posts are over a year ago on this site.

    Good luck
    Thanks for the advice. I have had the car repaired, am waiting for the Audi Branch manager to return from hols to discuss with him the issues I have had.
    Have contacted Audi UK and had a response that they will investigate.
    Hve emailed Breakdown agencies, 3 biggest to see if they have any record of the frequency/numbers of VAG problems of this type
    Sinilarly VOSA
    Have enquired of Syntners, JCT600, and Vertu as to whether they are aware of the problem and if they are what remedial action they have in place.
    Lastly have spoken with top solicitor.
    Will let you all know any outcomes.

  30. #1029
    mbb
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    READING
    Posts
    9
    Hi folks,

    Can anybody in the Reading/Berkshire area recommend anybody to fit the kit supplied by KMB for a BLB engine?

    Gonna take the preventative measure as fed up with the sleepless nights and I really love the car and spent loads already getting it to how I want it!!

  31. #1030
    tut_gareth's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    81
    Was in sjb autotech near Basingstoke and they said they did one recently. Not used them yet just went for an emergency oil top up on the way home and they seemed very knowledgeable and the workshop was very nice and tidy.. Worth a try.

  32. #1031
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    6
    Has anyone tried to doing the parts upgreade themselves? Or is this something way to complicated?

  33. #1032
    tut_gareth's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    81
    Doesn't look particularly complicated tbh, just the correct / job specific tools, a nice clean and dry place i.e. not on the road outside, will prevent me from doing it myself..

  34. #1033
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by tut_gareth View Post
    Doesn't look particularly complicated tbh, just the correct / job specific tools, a nice clean and dry place i.e. not on the road outside, will prevent me from doing it myself..
    i checked for a how to in the stickys but no luck.. Have you seen a how to on this before?
    thanks

  35. #1034
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NW London
    Posts
    141
    Balance shaft inspection by adamss24

    i had it done on another forum members front drive. Might help you see what's involved. I'm sure there are other ways but this was his way plus I had new clutch and flywheel at same time.
    Audi A4 2lt 170 TDI Quattro s-line, B7, BRD engine code. Mods so far; cruise control, DPF delete, EGR delete, unicorn remap, B5 perches, RS4 rear arb, RNSE with SDS, 2013 maps with speed cams, aux in, powermax remanufactured balancer, Sachs SRE organic clutch and pressure plate with LUK flywheel. Mods to do; s4 break upgrade, glove box fridge perhaps...

  36. #1035
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2
    Hi my BLB engine failed with this problem at 77k only 2 weeks after Wakefield Audi had serviced it and told me the rattle noise from the engine front was the AC clutch. This was in 2010 and as I had just taken delivery of a new A6 lemans Avant Audi UK paid for all the parts when I took the car back to Wakefield. The total repair cost then was £1800 so I stumped up £800. Audi only offered 25% at first which I rejected.
    If you have one of these dreadful chain driven engines beware it will eventually fail. As mine did even though my car had full Audi service history. I still believe it was the A6 purchase that swayed this as Audi seemed more interested in getting the details of the A6 than the problems I had had with the BLB engine in the A4 Avant. The repair was a complete conversion to gear driven assemblies as the chain and associated components were no longer available. But Audi assured me it was not a design Fault Yeah Yeah

  37. #1036
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    London UK, Cannes FR
    Posts
    15
    Hi Guys,
    I am new here, I discover this long thread....sorry to hear about all the bad stories ...I think I just jump on this boat....
    I both last week a A6 manual 2L TDI avant S line, silver/blue from 2006 with 100 k, remapped it and done 1000 miles, driving down to Cannes France,
    it seam that I haven't done all my home work before buying this car, it doesn't sound to noisy, just vibrating a bit so I will get it checked next week by my local garage, for the ERG, engine mounts and the DMF....
    from what I read I may be lucky and have the gear oil pump ...my engine number is BLB 123800 and VIN finish by 063423 so I am hoping this is the gear oil pump, I will call Audi on Monday to ask...
    I am intended to keep the car for a few years, so if its not the gear pump I will convert it ASAP...

    all the best
    Konstantin

  38. #1037
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    London UK, Cannes FR
    Posts
    15
    I phoned Audi this morning, and give them my vin number to find out if my engine was fitted with gears or chain, and they could not tell me, they said you can not even tell from outside you have to dismantle the oil pump unit....
    does anyone have more info ?
    my VIN numero; WAUZZZ4F*6*063423,
    ENGINE NUMBER . BLB 123800

    I booked my car to have a check up at a VAG specialist Thursday, I read that apparently you can cary out a pressure test from somewhere near the filter assembly...
    just wonder if it is possible to fit an oil pressure gauge ..

  39. #1038
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by kos11-12 View Post
    I phoned Audi this morning, and give them my vin number to find out if my engine was fitted with gears or chain, and they could not tell me, they said you can not even tell from outside you have to dismantle the oil pump unit....
    does anyone have more info ?
    my VIN numero; WAUZZZ4F*6*063423,
    ENGINE NUMBER . BLB 123800

    I booked my car to have a check up at a VAG specialist Thursday, I read that apparently you can cary out a pressure test from somewhere near the filter assembly...
    just wonder if it is possible to fit an oil pressure gauge ..
    Almost ALL the BLB coded engines have a chain driven pump. very few were factory fitted with the geared unit. The only way to be sure what you have is to drop the sump off the engine period !
    Good luck.

  40. #1039
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    London UK, Cannes FR
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B7 View Post
    Almost ALL the BLB coded engines have a chain driven pump. very few were factory fitted with the geared unit. The only way to be sure what you have is to drop the sump off the engine period !
    Good luck.
    Thanks a lot,
    I will ask the garage what's the cost to check it, in the mean time I have asked Audi Stratford that did most of the services to dig me all the invoices ....and I email the single owner of the car...

    Konstantin

  41. #1040
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    London UK, Cannes FR
    Posts
    15
    just been reading a few people with 07 (170 bhp ) cars had the same issue ,
    it's rather confusing; are the 2007 BRE engines still fitted with the chain oil pump ?

    thanks

    just came a cross on ebay with a company that refurb and convert oil pump to gears, "power max engineering"
    I though for a reasonable price...
    Last edited by kos11-12; 3rd December 2013 at 14:18.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO