Which A4 Avant?

think.different

Reaction score
I currently have an S reg A3 1.8T Sport 3dr which I have had for 7 years and it's creeping up to 125k on the clock. I have been thinking about getting a newer car, practicality and a kid point towards an estate. I'm quiet picky and really like Audi so a 55+ reg A4 avant would seem an obvious replacement (also looking into a Volvo V50 R Design).

What I want is the same nippiness as what I have now, it doesn't need to be any quicker. I'm thinking about the 2.0T but what engine would you suggest, I've only had petrol in the past but am open to a diesel to expand the search pool.

Thanks for any suggestions.
progress.gif
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=428601

I had a B7 2006 sline 2.o tdi 140 avant.****** marvellous, although if I still had it id have it mapped to 180bhp.Great car.loved it.

3.0 tdi avant, very good. They arn't massive though. I looked at the volvo before i got mine, they are even smaller inside by quite a large amount. Depends what you want it for i suppose.

I had an A3 18T also, and bought a 05 2.0 TDI S-Line, it's just as rapid but comes in with 45/50mpg :happy:

I did think about the 2.0T but as i live in the sticks mpg was a big factor, along with resale - Plus it's only £90 for 6 months tax on the TDI :think:

As for the Volvo, the floating dash is nice - but it's a Volvo... Do you wear cords, Beige suits with black shoes?!?! They’re not for me, S-Lines can still catch your eye in the right spec - A Volvo's just a bit bland!
I did look at a few A6’s in S-Line spec, but they didn’t have climate….!

I have just bought a 2008 TDI Avant SLine and it is top quality. I bought it for family reasons and it works well in that respect. A4 Avants in my opinion are the best looking estate on the market and mine with its 18" wheels & privacy glass looks amazing, this coupled with very good running costs makes it a winner, for me anyway. The one flaw though is the sat nav which is no way as good as a TomTom, but i do like the sd card slots however.
Nik.

@ john herman
Why would you map it to 180bhp? was the 140 not enough for the car or for your taste?

@rowdyboy
Others hav suggested the 3.0TDI but though it may be a little over kill powerwise, but you think it's not too bad. I'm not really after a load lugger. I'm quiet happy with the load space in a A3, it will just be nice to have more room in the back for a growing family. A saloon I would find impractical which is why it's the avant I'm looking at. I know the Volvo V50 is actually based on a Focus so the cabin is probably not that bigger than the A3 but the load space is just a little smaller than an A4 Avant.

@Good to be a gooner.
I was only adding the V50 into the mix to open the search pool a little. The R-Design spec does take off the rather dullness of the standard look and you don't see that many around, but they only came out early '08 so they may be a little out of budget although their prices do drop quick than an Audi.

@S3nik
What is the engine in your A4?

-----

I'm not to worried about mpg, as I don't do the miles, what I get from the 1.8T is fine - I think all the engines I would look at are an improvement on that as they are more modern.

Last edited:
@ john herman
Why would you map it to 180bhp? was the 140 not enough for the car or for your taste?

@rowdyboy
Others hav suggested the 3.0TDI but though it may be a little over kill powerwise, but you think it's not too bad. I'm not really after a load lugger. I'm quiet happy with the load space in a A3, it will just be nice to have more room in the back for a growing family. A saloon I would find impractical which is why it's the avant I'm looking at. I know the Volvo V50 is actually based on a Focus so the cabin is probably not that bigger than the A3 but the load space is just a little smaller than an A4 Avant.

@Good to be a gooner.
I was only adding the V50 into the mix to open the search pool a little. The R-Design spec does take off the rather dullness of the standard look and you don't see that many around, but they only came out early '08 so they may be a little out of budget although their prices do drop quick than an Audi.

@S3nik
What is the engine in your A4?

-----

I'm not to worried about mpg, as I don't do the miles, what I get from the 1.8T is fine - I think all the engines I would look at are an improvement on that as they are more modern.

If MPG is not a problem then i would definitely recommend the 3.0 tdi, you can have the best of both worlds, power when you need it and a certain amount of economy if you do ever go on a long run.
I totally agree aswell, the A4 is one of the only cars that actually looks better in avant form than saloon. In my opinion.

@think differant....Its not just the power gain, but the power comes in lower down the revs, and the engine is soooo smooth.Even if i had the 3.0 id have it remapped just for the refinement

@ john herman

I'm afraid that side of things just goes over my head, and to be honest I would never really go down the route of aftermarket alterations, I'm more a as it comes out the box type person. Was the standards 2.0tdi 140 powerful enough for a car that size. On paper the 2.0tdi seems noticeably slower than the 1.8T on my A3 (I know on paper is not like the real world).

@ john herman

I'm afraid that side of things just goes over my head, and to be honest I would never really go down the route of aftermarket alterations, I'm more a as it comes out the box type person. Was the standards 2.0tdi 140 powerful enough for a car that size. On paper the 2.0tdi seems noticeably slower than the 1.8T on my A3 (I know on paper is not like the real world).

In real world performance, it's just a quick - better at overtaking etc as the torque helps.

Re-mapping isn't my thing either, but you could think about the 170 tdi also.

The 3.0 would be rappid though!

Fair comment guys.Ive always been a 'out the box' guy, and felt unsure and uncomfortable with mucking about with stock.But.I tried it and liked it, just the remap though, as im certainly not going to change the exhaust, suspension(although it could do with it).Sure there is an arguement as to why dont you just buy the bigger engine in the first place, but it was a seven grand differance between my 170 and the 3.0.I didnt want the 2.7 cos its auto_On paper means nowt..especially mpg figures.I was hitting 60% of audis official paper figures, and still am.At least ive a bit more boot!!

Fair comment guys.Ive always been a 'out the box' guy, and felt unsure and uncomfortable with mucking about with stock.But.I tried it and liked it, just the remap though, as im certainly not going to change the exhaust, suspension(although it could do with it).Sure there is an arguement as to why dont you just buy the bigger engine in the first place, but it was a seven grand differance between my 170 and the 3.0.I didnt want the 2.7 cos its auto_On paper means nowt..especially mpg figures.I was hitting 60% of audis official paper figures, and still am.At least ive a bit more boot!!

It's the talk i hear of new clutches etc due to remap's that put me off!

The B7 Avant is a lovely car, you won't be dissapointed. I have the 2.0T FSI and have owned a 2.0 TDI B7 and can be honest about both. Don't rule out a remap as this is truely an out of this world improvement n both diesel and petrol engned cars.

I owned a 2007 diesel S-line Avant first and had it mapped after a month. I must say it was a truely fanastic car and even better mpg after the remap. Up to another 100mles per tank with the missus driving. The reason I got the petrol version after was because the diesel was covering some 400miles plus a week and I wanted a faster version. I do now wish I had got a 3.0 diesel now though as the jump from an economical diesel to a remapped petrol was a shock to the wallet.

Don't get me wrong the petrol is such a fastastic drive considering it's only a 2.0 and it's an estate! I do love it to bits. It's really down to your needs and preferences. Diesel is plenty fast enough, likely to be quicker than your A3 and superb on fuel. The petrol, once mapped, is BRILLIANT!!

Just please, please don't rule out a remap as it transforms the car and even you Audi dealer can get this done for you and not affect your warranty!!

@The_Golfather
I have also come across your car in the classifieds, a very nice looking car - but a little too high mileage for me as I'm planning on keeping it for over 5 years so really want something under 50k.