Moving back to Petrol!

dickys3

Staff member
Reaction score
I love my A4, but recently i've been thinking of moving back to a petrol version as I don't really do the miles anymore.

I'm going to get a 2.0 T FSI engine, but can't decide yet whether or not to go for Quattro or 2WD. I suppose I will just see what comes up and decide from there.

What i'm hoping to do is sell my TDI and replace with a 2.0 T FSI for pretty much the same money. Do you think this is possible? I did some quick used car valuations on parkers and using the exact same specs for both Diesel and Petrol, the TDI was worth £250 more than the 2WD 2.0 T FSI and £200 less than the Quattro version.

Does this sound about right in the real world?

Cheers
Rich.

I've been looking about at A4 Avant TDI prices recently as I want to try and get one either latter this year/early next year.
TDI prices are a lot higher than petrol, and more that £250 difference.

Obviously if your going to trade in you'll have to put some extra £'s towards the new one, but if your planning to sell privately and then buy the petrol one, you should get some money back.
Trouble is finding one of the spec you want!

Could anyone help me value my car so I can begin the "For Sale" process?

Spec:

2006 (06 Plate) Audi A4 2.0TDI S-Line.
48K Miles
1 Previous Owner (I'm the 2nd)
Silver
Black cloth seats
MFSW
18 inch 5 Arms
Audi Bluetooth Phone / Cradle
Cruise Control
Concert 2 with Glovebox 6CD Changer

Full Audi Service History
3 - 4 Months Audi Warranty remaining

Excellent Condition

Cheers
Rich.

Glass's Guide says:

Vehicle details Valuation details
Make: Audi
Model: A4
Variant: 4 door Saloon Manual
Engine 2.0TD Diesel
Trim S Line
Year/Plate 2006 06
Mileage 48,000
Excellent condition £11350
Average condition £10250
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Below average condition
spacer.gif
£9010
Retail £13650

Cost new £23157
But prices vary on area's massively, just browse autotrader adverts close to you and see.

You could always have a look for the petrol version you like, and price it around that :icon_thumright:

I don't think it's a great time to sell due to the time til xmas, but it's worth a shot.

Last edited:
TBH mate 4wd depends on what you want from it, 2wd as you know would be more edge of seat rides if chucking rounding corners where as 4wd is more controlled, upto you mate, but for me I'd go with 4wd if I had the choice as I loved it in my S3 8L & S4 B6 which is same as the B7 pretty much.

I recently went through this dilemma. When deciding which to buy I test drove a 2wd 2.0T fsi and found it slightly smoother than a quattro. The 2WD will save you 3 or 4 mpg too. However in the end I read a lot of reports about the 2WD eating front tyres. In the end I got a quattro, the 'launch' and acceleration in first gear (that you wont get with the 2WD) is pretty spectacular plus the grip, even in the wet, is awesome. You also get a little 'quattro' badge on the dash - that has to be worth something!!

You really need to test drive both, I found the dealers that I went to were very understanding and that you needed a good long test drive (by yourself)

cheers for the info, think your right about driving both and going from there. I think i'l end up going for the quattro as i'm definately going to remap it, so the 4wd will help there. Just got to sell my derv now!

Good decision; 250/260 bhp through front wheel drive only will not be pretty.....

I've been looking at autotrader and the prices are all over the place. I'm having real difficulty at the moment trying to price my car for selling.

I originally thought of putting the car up for sale at £11,500 and then taking offers, which lines up with the Glasses guide report above. However when I look at autorader, they are advertised at 12K - 13K which I think is too much.

Also the petrol versions (which i'm trying to purchase) are all at 12 - 13K+ which again seem high.

Granted most of the cars on autotrader are trade.

If I sell my car for 11K - 11,500, I will have to add money to get the equivelant spec Petrol! And I thought diesels were higher value than petrol!

Perhaps there isn't as much choice at the moment (as its nearing xmas and people arn't buying/selling)?

Perhaps I should wait until the new year and try again?

What you think?

Cheers
Rich.

i thought about swapping mine with a diesel , but after spending close to 3 grand on it think ill be keeping :)

Quattro is a must on 2.0T engine, the ability to go almost perpendicular on intersection is awesome! :) As for sport suspension or s-line option, your current car is s-line and if ride is comfortable for you, stay with s-line.

Quattro is a must on 2.0T engine, the ability to go almost perpendicular on intersection is awesome! :) As for sport suspension or s-line option, your current car is s-line and if ride is comfortable for you, stay with s-line.

Cheers. I've decided i'm gonna get a Quattro.

Just got to advertise mine now lol!

There's no rush. Wait for the right car to come along. You will find the petrol is brutal on the pocket to run compared to your diesel. I made the same swap 6 months ago and was crippled by the economy! You can do so much to diesels now, you could spend abit on that and get it as fast.....just a thought