Help - Speakers blown (I think)

path2

Reaction score
Looking for some advice. Bought an 55 plate S-Line a while back. The Symphony stereo unit has a max volume of 30, but when turned up past 18ish when it's playing a track with a reasonable amount of bass, the sound starts to pan in and out. This is with the bass on the equaliser set to zero.

Does this definitely mean my speakers are blown? (or does the head unit have a bass limiter on it that i can't find?!!)

if as presumed, they are blown, i have read that the bose upgrades are very good. if i want to upgrade, do i need to replace all the speakers? lastly - does anyone have a link to where i can buy these?

thanks

Pat

Looking for some advice. Bought an 55 plate S-Line a while back. The Symphony stereo unit has a max volume of 30, but when turned up past 18ish when it's playing a track with a reasonable amount of bass, the sound starts to pan in and out. This is with the bass on the equaliser set to zero.

I have exactly the same problem, I either have to turn the volume down or the bass. I've got a 05 Plate S-Line. I was hoping that my forthcoming RNS-e might stop this.

Not sure if it is the speakers or a bass limiter.

I have exactly the same problem, I either have to turn the volume down or the bass. I've got a 05 Plate S-Line. I was hoping that my forthcoming RNS-e might stop this.

Not sure if it is the speakers or a bass limiter.

let me know if you get a result with your rns-e, as this is bugging the life out of me... it's not that i want my music necessarily thumping, but i'd like to play it loud occasionally without it sounding like i have a swirling hearing imbalance!

I am afraid the std speakers are paper coned and not the best. If you replaced them with some mid priced components it would be better, Also you need to bear in mind the HU will also be pushing quite hard at over half level on the volume so distortion could be coming from there too.

Bose would be a waste without a bose HU as they are 2 ohm ,not 4 ohm like you have and won't sound right matched to your HU

I am afraid the std speakers are paper coned and not the best. If you replaced them with some mid priced components it would be better, Also you need to bear in mind the HU will also be pushing quite hard at over half level on the volume so distortion could be coming from there too.

Bose would be a waste without a bose HU as they are 2 ohm ,not 4 ohm like you have and won't sound right matched to your HU

thanks for the advice. it's good to hear from someone who knows. can you recommend any replacements?

Just to please people looking on Google, after swapping out my Symphony II unit with an RNS-e, I've not had this fading in and out problem. I've got decent bass with the RNS-e and everything is currently fine.

Agree the standard speakers are rubbish. The problem you have is the front speakers are driven from the HU & the rears from a small amp in the rear. You could go down the bose retrofit but you need to replace the amp, speakers & add a wiring harness. You also cannot just add the Bose speakers as they are a different impedance rating.

If you want a quick fix just buy some better speakers With the same impedance as the standard one (cannot remember what that is off the top of my head)