Strange ABS brake failure - any ideas?

r3ump

Reaction score
Hi All - I'm new to this forum having just found it trying to find out about a problem I having at present with my car. The car is a 54plate A4 1.9tdi sport avant

Under hard braking my abs and esp lights come on in the dash display. I have tried braking hard just to make sure that the display is reading correctly and the wheels lock up so there's clearly no abs assistance. The weird thing is if I turn the car off and restart it the lights go out - I have then tested the brakes and the abs works as normal. After a few miles though the lights return and abs is gone again.

Has anybody experienced this same problem or have any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Oh and does anyone know how to get rid of the airbag warning light as this has been on for ages. I have had the airbag checked out and it's apparently all OK - thanks in advance

Regards

John

the only real way is to have the car scanned with vag-com or by the dealer (find a mate with vag com its cheaper...and easier)

if your around the nottingham area let me know as I can scan it for you.

Thanks for the advice M7R and your very kind offer. Unfortunately I'm down in the South East so a little way from you. I'll look into the vag-com thing though and get it checked out.

Thank you
Best Regards

John

As above, a scan will reveal the faults.

SRS warning could be due to air bag or seat belt pre-tensioner, indicating that they may not work correctly if/when required.

If the ABS ECU detects certain faults it, as well as illuminating the warning light, disables some or all ABS/ESP functions depending on the severity of the fault and the effect it would have on system operation.

Thanks c4a5er - looks like I'm off to the scanners then!

Cheers

John

Well if you ever need vagcom yourself PM me as I sell the genuine system.

Pity as I'm in the south east but away atm, but would happily of scanned for you, check the vcds section for members with vagcom to scan for you.

Thanks NHN, maybe I'll take you up on your very kind offer - are you due back soon?

John,

It could possibly be your brake switch or something to do with it (above the brake pedal box somewhere).

I'm a bit sketchy with info because it was a problem with my dads golf 4 tdi, he had his fixed whilst on holiday in south wales a few months ago, his warning lights had been on and off for a few months. IIRC the garage said it was a common fault with the golfs so thats where I'd look to start with.

He had some part replaced for about £30 and all was well since then. I'm sure vagcom will pin point it though like the others have said

Thanks Mike - I was reading on this very forum about the Brake switch and downloaded instructions how to replace it. It looks fairly straight forward to do and I reckon it may be that which is at fault. I've driven the car today and have not had the lights come on - even when braking hard, so I suspect it's just a dodgy part rather than a major problem ( crosses fingers - touches wood!) Thanks for taking the time to reply - all the best - John