A4 2.0T Facts and Figures

hazey7

Reaction score
Yo all,

My 06 A4 2.0T FSI quattro s-line with 45K on it has just gone through a tank of gas averaging out at 29mpg. The 235/40 18 continentals were all at 27psi until I checked they should be at 35+psi. So halfway through the tank I raised the pressures.
Anyone notice any differences running their tyres at various pressures? Anyone think 35psi is too high or too low?! Did it affect your fuel consumption? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated?!

My avant is @41 psi as stated in the manual !?! Hope thats right !
Mines is just a front driver remapped to about 240/50 and I usualy get about 30 ish MPG alot higher on runs but around town thats about right what your getting I would say ?

So I guess 29mpg for a quattro is not too bad - 'what car' figures state a loss of about 4 mpg for a quattro over a front wheel driver. 41psi ! Wow, well if the manual says so ... but jeez that seems a lot when you've spent most of your driving days at 28/30psi !!

35psi is about right for 18's I believe, more with 3+ up or fully loaded. I'm running mine at 34psi all round on the Avant.

Under inflated tyres will have a slight negative effect on fuel consumption also.

Do you find they feel better with the 35psi now?

yeah, I did actually, noticed a big difference. Strange thing is though Visually looking at the tyres, the fronts seem to be 'squashed' lower more than the rears, weight of the engine? I also consider these noisy tyres but I don't have anything to compare with! i would definitely look to fit a quiet tyre next time, folks seeem to say the Vredestain Ultra's are quiet....

Hazey

I've got the same motor as you and a heavish right foot. Mines been remapped at the same place as marrows and is averaging out at around 27.5 on the mfa, it was nearer to 26 before the remap but most of my journeys are either short ones or hurried motorway trips.

It has done over 35 average to scotland and back the other week and I wasn't hanging about then. 29 sounds pretty good to me.

I see from your other post you're thinking of mapping it. Just do it! totally different cars when mapped, I used a place called Pendle Performance in Barnoldswick. Not sure if that is near to you (North Lancashire/Yorkshire border) but if you were considering the guys in Middlewich its not too much further (prob an hour max if coming from the south). I paid £245 for mine to be done and its spot on. Feels a lot more than a 42bhp increase to boot.

And I run my tyres at around 35/36 ish btw as well 18 inch s lines with dunlops all round.

Mine are supposed to be at 40psi all round when fully laden.

I currently have them set at 38psi as its only usually me in the car.

Mike Beech,
Some good stuff there, cheers!
Regarding your remap, Did you get any assurances or guarantees that it can be put back to original easily or cheaply? From my own experience I wouldnt like to actually buy a 2.0T that had been remapped - I would always look for a bog standard car.....just thinking of when the time comes to sell it.

TBH I didnt ask the question.

I'm sure like most tuners they take a copy of your original map file incase anything should go wrong during map writing so that it can be reverted to standard easily.

In the past I've had no problems selling the cars on with them mapped. But yes, if you ask the tuner to retain your map to transfer back when you come to sell. Most charge a nominal fee for a reflash to standard.

Might drop mine down to 38 then ? Ride is frim might soften it out alittle ?

Mr Marrow,

From the plate attached to my car:

215/55/16 32psi all round (38 when heavily loaded)
235/45/17 32psi all round (38 when heavily loaded)

235/40/18 35psi all round (39 when heavily loaded)

Were on earth have I got this 41 psi from then !?! I will look in my book and on the plate on mine tonight and drop them asap cant be doing anything any good that high !
Thanks Hazey

Tell you what, when you come to sell your remapped car the new buyer will love it! It's like a differet car once mapped! You won't wana sell the thing anyway! Lol. Or just don't tell them....just a thought!

Interesting about the tyre pressures though! Mine are 32psi I think, it tells you inside the petrol flap doesn't it?

Get a diesel if mpg is what you desire as you'll find your right foot becomes strangly heavy onced mapped!!

My tyre info plate is by the drivers door...... anyhoose, have noticed that after pressing all tyres up to 35psi, checked thenm 3 weeks later and they are at 33, 33, 31, 31, so that was a bit of a p1sser......now I'll have to check and top up at least every 2 weeks to keep everything tip-top.

For info I definitely got another one or two mpg by getting them up from 27 to 35psi. :detective2: