Sky InsuranceChris Nott

Thread: Red Calipers

6th Gear

Status

Red Calipers

Ok it was a nice day so i cracked on with painting my calipers also while my wheels were off i cleaned them and coated them in 2 layers of poorboys sealent,Will attempt to finish them tommorow also have my mirrors currently underway, heres some pics

Once dry i am apply my white S-LIne decals and polish them with metal polish.
    Last edited by Dazmo; 9th September 2009 at 21:01.

Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Dazmo,

Do you have a trustfund.... Where do you find the time!

What's Poorboys?!

I use wonderwheels then a wax for brake dust, Cleaned my car on Sunday - Started at 11 finished at 3

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Good 2 B A Gooner View Post
    Dazmo,

Do you have a trustfund.... Where do you find the time!

What's Poorboys?!

I use wonderwheels then a wax for brake dust, Cleaned my car on Sunday - Started at 11 finished at 3

Lol a trust fund, i wish.

I work nights mate

Its poor boys wheel sealent some of the best stuff you can buy!!

See here mate

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels...nt/prod_9.html

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Nice, looking forward to the finished pics
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

loves quattro

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    Nice, looking forward to the finished pics
    Me too

3rd Gear

Status
    Did mine at the weekend but mine is Akoya silver avant so I went with gloss black thought red would be a bit too much especialy with the sixe of my calipers they are the same as yours they are huge !
    Red looks great on yours though mate nice contrast with the blue. I tried to put the Sline stickers on but the calipers are a really strage shape couldnt get them to look right so ended up just putting the "S" on the centre clip wehich I think actually looks better will post pics up to show you what I mean soon.
    Top job though mate cant wait to see the mirrors when they are done !

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrow View Post
    Did mine at the weekend but mine is Akoya silver avant so I went with gloss black thought red would be a bit too much especialy with the sixe of my calipers they are the same as yours they are huge !
    Red looks great on yours though mate nice contrast with the blue. I tried to put the Sline stickers on but the calipers are a really strage shape couldnt get them to look right so ended up just putting the "S" on the centre clip wehich I think actually looks better will post pics up to show you what I mean soon.
    Top job though mate cant wait to see the mirrors when they are done !
    Im having the same problem with the S-line decals mate as you just cant put them on at the right angle. There simply isnt the room.

Thanks for that suggestion i might just put the S on now.

3rd Gear

Status
    Looks top mate but even thats a squeeze on the clip if you have the large stickers.
    I have only put the front ones on for now will see how they wear such a squeeze not convinced they have bonded that well at the edges. So if they start to lift I will take them off cut down the smaller rears and stick the smaller "S" on the front clip and just leave the rears clear or buy another set when I can be bothered ?

6th Gear

Status
    Marrow i bought a load of them from the guy.

I got 4 different size decals, all in white in a pack, i got 2-3 of each size for about 5.00

Ive managed to get the bige S on no problem and then i coated it with 2 coats of metal polish which im hoping will keep it stuck on but we will see.

6th Gear

Status
    Update....Finished the fronts now but caused some minor damage when i put the alloys back on and had to touch them up.

Also now started the rears, will post up pics once finished.

loves quattro

Status
    They look sweet mate........especially with the 'S' on them - and far more visible than mine are cos of your wheel design.

How do you get on with the red stuff pads? I'm still on the original pads and they dust like hell.......desperately need to change!

3rd Gear

Status
    I stuck my "S" on the other way round 90 degrees to yours but yours looks like it fits better ?
    Like Richard asked how do you find the red stuff pads ? I had them on my old T sport celica with vented disks and they screeched alot ? Been thinking of upgarding mine to vented or drilled with red stuff pads but cant be assed with noisy brakes again !

On a seprate note how do you post up pics I have a load I want to put up put cant find an upload function ?

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazmo View Post
    I work nights mate
    I work shifts too, but I could never find the energy after a night shift to paint my calipers!

They look really good btw
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    I work shifts too, but I could never find the energy after a night shift to paint my calipers!

They look really good btw
    Ive been sitting on this job for months, ive had everything ready but it just wouldnt stop raining and now the sun is out it has given me the best chance to get cracking, 10 days of nice weather means im going to get as much done as humanly possible.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardesty View Post
    They look sweet mate........especially with the 'S' on them - and far more visible than mine are cos of your wheel design.

How do you get on with the red stuff pads? I'm still on the original pads and they dust like hell.......desperately need to change!

Not sure what i think yet mate, ive only done 60 miles on them and im still bedding them in.

Apparently they take up to 1000 miles to bed in as they are a hard wearing pad.

So far im annoyed because my brake pedal is quite soft and apparently once the pads are bedded in the pad is suppoosed to harden, i just hope what im feeling is not AIR in the new brake lines!!.

But i did a few very fast brake tests and they seem to stop me much better than stock pads, they have a very firm bite to them. Red stuff are also very low/almost no dust and so far they seem very good.

Bearing in mind you can get red stuff for less than ausi charge for stock pads so why would you go stock?

6th Gear

Status
    I stuck my "S" on the other way round 90 degrees to yours but yours looks like it fits better ?
    Like Richard asked how do you find the red stuff pads ? I had them on my old T sport celica with vented disks and they screeched alot ? Been thinking of upgarding mine to vented or drilled with red stuff pads but cant be assed with noisy brakes again !

On a seprate note how do you post up pics I have a load I want to put up put cant find an upload function ?

Mine screech abit at low speed 5mph-0mph when stopping but apparently they screech only during the bedding in stage and this can be up to 1000 miles apparently to get the full potenial.

They dont screech at speed so far as ive only done 60 miles on them but they seem fine at speeds its just when stopping but if you do a search this is apparently normal at low speed while they bed in.

Red stuff combined with a wheel coated in poor boys sealent should be brilliant as ill just need a cloth to wipe the minor brake dust away as these are supposed to be such low dust rating.

So far i like them, they are 100% better than stock already and i have not even bed them in yet, but also bear in mind i have new discs all round and new brake lines to bed in aswell so i doubt ill get any real performance gains until at least 400-600 miles.

3rd Gear

Status
    Hmm not sure I put them on my celica because the brakes on that were terrible and they did improve things but the screeching at low speeds drove me mad let me know how you get on with them over the next few months if you can mate.
    I was only really going to change the disks for cosmetyic reasons and the pads for performance but have been impressed with the stock Audi set up so far.

6th Gear

Status
    Hmm not sure I put them on my celica because the brakes on that were terrible and they did improve things but the screeching at low speeds drove me mad let me know how you get on with them over the next few months if you can mate.
    I was only really going to change the disks for cosmetyic reasons and the pads for performance but have been impressed with the stock Audi set up so far.
    I will mate, i actually looked at buying grooved discs for mine but apparently no one makes any for the A4 yet!!

So i stuck with the standard discs, i was also told that grooved discs will wear pads quicker and will be very noisy!!

6th Gear

Status
    Ok heres the final few pics of the rear calipers:-

3rd Gear

Status
    Red on blue looks spot on mate job well done !

1st Gear

Status
    Could you post a linky to where you got the decals from mate..gonna be doing this on Friday if the weather holds...
    A4 2.0T FSI S-Line Special Edition, Misano Red / Black Graphite Volterra Leather.
    Retrofitted : Cruise Control, Rear Parking Sensors, RNS-E, Bluetooth, SDS. Ambient Light Mod, Chipped UK Fast Road Remap. (262 BHP), Red Brake Calipers c/w S-Line Decals, Coming Soon... ??

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Line_Wales View Post
    Could you post a linky to where you got the decals from mate..gonna be doing this on Friday if the weather holds...
    Sure here ya go mate

http://www.qhstore.co.uk/

1st Gear

Status
    Sweet..ordered..thanks..
    A4 2.0T FSI S-Line Special Edition, Misano Red / Black Graphite Volterra Leather.
    Retrofitted : Cruise Control, Rear Parking Sensors, RNS-E, Bluetooth, SDS. Ambient Light Mod, Chipped UK Fast Road Remap. (262 BHP), Red Brake Calipers c/w S-Line Decals, Coming Soon... ??

1st Gear

Status
    Woohoo..decals ordered, brake cleaner purchased, caliper paint purchased..roll on Friday when I have some damn time to do them...

06 A4 2.0T FSi S-Line SE

Status
    I painted my calipers red last night... only I couldn't get the driver's front wheel off even though I was jumping up & down on the wrench so I only did the passenger side.

Need to figure out how to get an over-tightened bolt out! Any suggestions?

Good job it wasn't a puncture scenario at the side of a motorway!
    Phantom Black Audi A4 2.0T FSi Quattro S-Line Special Edition
    RS4 grill | S4 mirrors | Tints: 45% sides, 35% rear screen | EasyStreet AutoPilot + AirLift struts/bags | Touareg ET60 9x19" on 215/35/19 all round | 25mm front, 35mm PCD adapters | EBC Red Stuff pads | Red calipers | RS4 pedals | Late-spec clear corner OEM bi-xenons | Leon Cupra R splitter | RNS-E | Ambient lighting | R8 oil cap | Carbonio & more

1st Gear

Status
    Minor imperfections aren't noticeable from a distance.

Good effort mate. Nice contrast with the blue paintwork.

loves quattro

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramodz View Post
    only I couldn't get the driver's front wheel off even though I was jumping up & down on the wrench so I only did the passenger side.

Need to figure out how to get an over-tightened bolt out! Any suggestions?
    You need to increase your leverage - by somehow extending the wrench.....

06 A4 2.0T FSi S-Line SE

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardesty View Post
    You need to increase your leverage - by somehow extending the wrench.....
    yeah that's what i thought - spray WD-40 in there & have a go with a longer wrench... though I couldn't find anything to extend it with last night
    RS4 grill | S4 mirrors | Tints: 45% sides, 35% rear screen | EasyStreet AutoPilot + AirLift struts/bags | Touareg ET60 9x19" on 215/35/19 all round | 25mm front, 35mm PCD adapters | EBC Red Stuff pads | Red calipers | RS4 pedals | Late-spec clear corner OEM bi-xenons | Leon Cupra R splitter | RNS-E | Ambient lighting | R8 oil cap | Carbonio & more

1st Gear

Status
    And before you put the wheels back on..dab a bit of copper grease on the hub..then go round and kick the hell out of whoever had the wheels off for you last time for not using it..

I managed some time out to get mine done today, though my decals havent arrived as yet, so unable to fully complete the task..not bothered though, as it gives me an excuse to get the wheels back off and pressure wash them thoroughly, both front and insides as well..pics will follow once fully cleaned..

06 A4 2.0T FSi S-Line SE

Status
    God damn it! I bought an extendable wrench & it just sheared off trying to undo the bolt... Gonna have to get someone with air tools to loosen them for me. Argh!

3rd Gear

Status
    And before you put the wheels back on..dab a bit of copper grease on the hub..then go round and kick the hell out of whoever had the wheels off for you last time for not using it..

I managed some time out to get mine done today, though my decals havent arrived as yet, so unable to fully complete the task..not bothered though, as it gives me an excuse to get the wheels back off and pressure wash them thoroughly, both front and insides as well..pics will follow once fully cleaned..

put some copper grease down the thread of the bolts as well

s-line - get some poorboys wheel sealer and whack a few coats on wjen you've finished cleaning them

Available soon in the For Sale Section.....

RS4 Pedals - Drivers side mirror mounting/wiring
    B6 Cab Front Grills - Drivers side B6 Cab Headlamp
    Moro Blue Mirror Caps - Full set of Cab Windscreen Surrounds
    Symphony 6 disc Head - Unit Full set of B6 Cab Manuals inc Leather Wallet
    N/S B6 Rear Lamp - RS6 Auto Brake Pedal

PM for more details.......

1st Gear

Status
    Still waiting on my decals to arrive ..not impressed !! Itching to take the wheels off and give them a good clean..

6th Gear

Status
    Still waiting on my decals to arrive ..not impressed !! Itching to take the wheels off and give them a good clean..
    How long have you been waiting mate, mine arrived within 3 days and were pretty quick

1st Gear

Status
    Ordered last Monday..Ive emailed them asking whats going on..no reply..

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by markyzs180 View Post
    s-line - get some poorboys wheel sealer and whack a few coats on wjen you've finished cleaning them
    I normally use AutoGlym alloy wheel sealer..its an easy spray on application and lasts quite well..is poorboys that much better for the work involved ?

3rd Gear

Status
    I normally use AutoGlym alloy wheel sealer..its an easy spray on application and lasts quite well..is poorboys that much better for the work involved ?
    easy, wipe on, allow to dry to a haze then wipe off and nothing sticks to it!!

Available soon in the For Sale Section.....

RS4 Pedals - Drivers side mirror mounting/wiring
    B6 Cab Front Grills - Drivers side B6 Cab Headlamp
    Moro Blue Mirror Caps - Full set of Cab Windscreen Surrounds
    Symphony 6 disc Head - Unit Full set of B6 Cab Manuals inc Leather Wallet
    N/S B6 Rear Lamp - RS6 Auto Brake Pedal

PM for more details.......

1st Gear

Status
    Oooh...decals arrived whilst I was in work...hope to get em on and wheels cleaned as soon as...