What to look for....

njonesn

Reaction score
Hi.
I am considering trading in my Hyundai Coupe for an A4 Avant.

Previous to my Coupe I owned a TDi Bora which I loved. Have always said that I would return to a German Diesel and I think now is the time (little one on the way).

I am looking to spend between £6000 and £8000 which I think should get me a 2004/2005 model.

I would expect mileage to be around 50K-60K however I have found many other newer models with much higher mileage.

Can anyone advise on what to look out for in a 2004/2005 model A4?
I.e. known issues, timing/cam belt changes, other expensive mileage dependant service work etc.

Any advise welcomed as well as thoughts about newer but +100K mileage TDi's.

Thanks
Nathan

Hi.
I am considering trading in my Hyundai Coupe for an A4 Avant.

Previous to my Coupe I owned a TDi Bora which I loved. Have always said that I would return to a German Diesel and I think now is the time (little one on the way).

I am looking to spend between £6000 and £8000 which I think should get me a 2004/2005 model.

I would expect mileage to be around 50K-60K however I have found many other newer models with much higher mileage.

Can anyone advise on what to look out for in a 2004/2005 model A4?
I.e. known issues, timing/cam belt changes, other expensive mileage dependant service work etc.

Any advise welcomed as well as thoughts about newer but +100K mileage TDi's.

Thanks
Nathan

Hi Nath,

I recently bought a 2005 2.0 TDI S-Line Avant.
90,000 miles with full history and all old receipts etc, cruise control, nice and clean for £9000.
I'd looked at a few but they go soooo fast, literally the same day they're sold! :ohmy:

TDI’s are best for resale also, and return 45/50mpg easy – If though you live in a built up area, i.e. London etc, I’d be tempted with a 2.0T as they return 30mpg and are cheaper to buy, but more to tax (TDI £140 a year).
Cam-Belt's for Petrol’s are 60k and 80k for the oil-burner.
If you google Audi fixed price servicing then it'll show decent prices for servicing, full major service £200 all in, minor service £100, and cam-belts are around £300 i think, plus you get free MOT's for life.

I had been looking at the B6 (pre-facelift) and had found a few, all had 45/55k on the clock with various extra's - Expect/Aim to pay no more than £7500, don't be fooled into thinking it's just a facelift though.
It's a completely different car underneath with regards to handling etc.

If you can afford/find the B7 (SE's are good value, £8k should find you a tidy one) then I’d get the B7, simply because of resale.
I had a 2001 A3 1.8T, bought it when it was just over 3 years old, but due to the new shape it took a bit of a hit on resale (That said I only lost 5k in 5 years).

Good luck with it, and good luck with the impending arrival - Enjoy, it's the best thing that will ever happen to you (Being a Dad that is, not buying an A4...!)
My Son is now 7 months old! :)

P.S. The guy i bought my car from a guy who only sells A4's, he told me to stay away from the autos as they can go wrong - Something to do woth oil breaking into an ecu thing in the autobox!

Look out for Door handles on the outside, they come loose... :think:
And the glove box hinges are sh*t!

Last edited:
I have had mine from new, April 2006, 50k and no probs at all.

Averaged overall low-mid 40's to the gallon, tyres 15k per pair of fronts and servicing costs (2) very good.

B8 on order and just machined polished and waxed to sell and it looks better than new.

Couldn't recomend 'em enough.

Good luck

Thanks guys. Very helpful infomation. Will let you know if I end up changing cars.
CHeers.