A4 Avant mileage

TripleD

Audi S4 Avant Owner
Reaction score
Hi all!

Having just got a puppy, he's growing quite quickly, so a 3 door A3 isn't really practical anymore!

I've been looking about for an A4 Avant, trying to stick with diesel because I'm doing about 25k a year.
I've seen a nice 05 plate Avant S line 2.0 TDi, it's going for £9995 which isn't too bad, but has just over 100k on the clock apparently has Full Audi Service History.

Considering the mileage I do, and it's already some 100k, do you think it's better to get an older A4 with less miles, or try to get a newer one with high miles?

I'd seriously reconsider swapping your A3 just for your dog unless he's some sort of monster St Benard!

I've got a BIG 2 year old labrador and there isn't that much more boot space in the A4 avant we've got now compared to the A3 my partner used to have.

In fact our dog hates large spaces when travelling about because there's more chance of him being thrown about when going around corners. We've just had a baby as well and I was really disappointed when I tried to fit the pram and dog in the boot and grand parents in the rear, it just wasn't happening. Our pram isn't the largest in the world but it wouldn't fit in the boot length ways with the rear seat up.

Go and have a proper look at the A4 avant before deciding. Having said that I'm more than happy with ours, its just not a massive leap forward in space.

And I'd hold out for a lower mileage TDI s-line for £10k, when I was looking in June 100k motors were around £8.5k price range. They will do the miles but it will just affect the resale value.

We brought a A4 avant for when we got our pup. Though now hes a bigger than normal Doberman with more growing to go yet...

Alot of the Avants seem to have high mileage, as I found whilst looking for mine.

Like Mike says, they'll do the miles if looked after

Bought a 05 TDI S-Line last month with 90k, had to have a wheel bearing done, but it's a great motor. :)
clip_image001.gif

I also had an A3 previously (1.8T Sport) and the space has helped us since the arrival of our son, though as the other post states - The boot isn't that big in the A4. :faint:

How about an 05 final edition A6 avant, i looked at one with 60k, leather, sat-nav, etc, etc?!
clip_image002.gif

Or if you can stomach not having climate, we found various new shape a6 avants in S-Line spec, but all had no climate.... :wtf:
clip_image003.gif
£30k motor and they didn't tick the poxy £800 climate option!

100k is only just run in :), will affect resale though, not sure how much though, well maintained, descent specced ones are still a at the higher end and the market seems more stable now.

It's well known that diesels will do the miles, especially the VAG group, there are alot of B6's on other forums with mileage well above 250k, and B5 much more. Spacewise though, you maybe better with a newer A6 (the older one isn't that much bigger in the boot than the A4 though but better cabin space).

Thanks for your input guys. I thought the TDI's could handle the mileage, I guess it's just in two years time when it has 150k+ on the clock resale would be difficult.
Done some valuations and it came out around the £8-9k mark not £10k! I guess the dealer is just trying it on as the spec is really good. They have another 2006 one with 56k on the clock but are asking £16k for it!

I'll do as you say and have a good look round and think of space first. My A3 is okay, but being a 3 door, and the dog currently sitting on the back seat it's a nightmare trying to get him in and out!

Just been thinking....
Know the diesels can do the miles, but how about the petrol's?

Im considering a B6 S4 and wondered how these are with 100+ miles on them?

I hear the S4 is good for 100k+ mileage, butr you need to change the chain at 160k which is an engine out job = ££££