Bluefin Trauma on A4 B7 30TDI CAB

Bubblefish777

Reaction score
Just a quick heads up and sharing the news on a Bluefin incident I had.

Bought the Bluefin for my Audi A4 30TDI CAB B8 2009 final edition (full spec as given)

Friday night Bluefin arrives.
Download original MAP onto Bluefin and uploaded to Bluefin/Superchips site.
10 Mins later reply received. New Map ready for download.
Loaded up remap and then connected to car.

Mid upload all error lights and fan comes on. Bluefin dies mid upload. Car ECU immobilises car.

No one available at Superchips until Monday morning.
Loss of car all weekend. Monday morning taken off from work

8am Monday called Bluefin. techie ... no idea what's wrong wait till James/Jamie Technical director comes in.

0830 Speak to jamie. Quick conversation and advised to open up BlueFin and CUT the yellow wire on the loom inside BLUEFIN.

Done. 0900 Car back up and running in original condition, 0910 Remap loaded up (I think). No noticeable difference. Considering returning BlueFin.

Only 2 comments. DON'T do a BLUEFIN upgrade over a weekend or on a Friday night. :motz:
The guys at Bluefin were very nice and polite. :) No beef whatsoever with them. Just frustrating to have car locked all weekend when a 2 minute fix could have solved all my grief.

You need to put this in the B7 section as your car isn't a B8

This is one reason why i wont touch those do it yourself map thingys.

Your better off going somewhere where they can do a full custom map and use a rolling road to fine tune, much safer.

Cheers for the heads up, did they state what the reason for cutting the wire was?

Yes ... Jamie (Tech director) says the bluefin communicates via 2 different ways. Mine apparently needed to communicate in a non-standard way or alternative way. The cutting of the wire (yellow in loom) made it communicate in a different way. This worked and my car finally went back to standard, immobiisor came off and all the error lights and fan etc reverted to normal ... worried for a few days though ... Brand new A4 Cab just sitting on the driveway dead :sorry:

Odd ... Log Book Says B8
I think your log book must have been printed incorrectly unfortunately. There is no such thing as an A4 B8 Cabriolet...the B7 was the last of the A4 cabrios (final edition still being sold now). Audi decided not to make a cabrio version of the A4 B8, and instead they have released a soft-top version of the A5.

This sounds like a bit of a nightmare regarding the Bluefin. I was considering this for my 2006 A6 3.0TDi, as well as my A4 2.0T cab....however, I think I'll take Dazmo's advice, and get them done by a professional installer. If I do something, and it can possibly go wrong....then I can guarantee it will go wrong!!!