Crabriolet Rattle

itsgrimupnorth

Reaction score
I've got a problem with my 2006 A4 Cab 2.0Tdi. The car has been owned since new, used as a second car and has not yet done 10K. The car was registered late March 2006, so is out of warranty.
A rattle has started at the front near side hood, where the plastic cover is over the locking system. It sounds like a loose nut & bolt moving about inside the plastic cover?
I can see if you raise the hood, there are several screw heads that appear to hold the rubber seal & plastic cover in place.
Is it safe to undo these screws? or will bits & pieces fly out and never fit back.
Any ideas what has come loose, is it a known problem?
If I need to visit a dealer, I won't go to Bolton, Manchester or Stockport as they have been very poor/caused more problems than they fix, on previous vehicles. Have used Blackburn for servicing this car, they appear average, only spilling used engine oil on the front windscreen to assist my heartbeat whilst driving in rain on the motorway on the way home! It beats Exlax. Is there any near North Manchester you would trust. Or any indies or hood experts?
If there is a major problem, do you think Audi would help with the costs, as the car has been fully serviced, in fact had one extra one? plus I'm looking to buy another car and might go BMW instead.

Also a couple of weeks back I found what look like a unused plastic locking type nut on the floor in the rear, about a 10mm, are these used in the hood mech?

Sorry if I rambled on.:blahblah1:

This sounds like it's the locking catch for sure. Mine did it a while ago but has now stopped.

I read on another forum that it happended to someone else and they had to get a whole new locking catch! Seems yours only has 10k on the clock I'd get Audi to check it and for it to be looked at under good will because of the milage being so low.

I wouldn't use Blackburn Audi again. The sales guys were great (got my A4 cab from them), but service is a disgrace. I took my 2006 A6 there to have a small warranty paint issue sorted, and they gave it back to me completely covered in a grainy overspray of clear lacquer. It was on the paintwork, plastic, glass - everywhere. It took 3 visits to get it all polished off, which resulted in badly scratched windscreen (so bad that I paid to have a new one), and scuffed paintwork. The whole episode ended with a big argument with their service manager, Audi themselves paying for a front-end respray and full paint-correction, and me promising to myself I would never set foot in that place again!

I now use Preston (good), Liverpool (good) or Cheshire Oaks (very good). However, following my recent visit, combined with the fact that the A6 is now out-of-warranty, I think I'll be using Awesome GTI in Manchester for as much as possible from now on. Much cheaper labour costs, great staff, and super facilities. Might be worth a try.

My B6 roof latches have been changed 3 times under warranty always passenger side.

I have sprayed wd40 on the latches seems to quieten them down