Just fitted an RS4 Rear Sway Bar - WOW!

Richardesty

loves quattro
Reaction score
As it was a little bit cooler today, I've backed the Quattro onto my ramps and swapped my standard rear sway bar for an OE RS4 version......

Here's how they compare off the car (bearing in mind the top one looks loads thicker in real life!):

arb1.jpg

And on it:

arb2.jpg

And boy does it make a difference in corners! She sits a lot flatter, and turns in far better. No surprises there to be honest - I fitted something similar on my last car - and it came with a warning label cos it transforms the handling that much:beerchug:
If you wanna have a go yourself, here's what you need from your Audi Stealer:

2no A8AO 511 439 Clip @ 4.16 ea + vat
1no A8EO 511 409 AL Stabilizer Bar @ £53.77 ea + vat
2no A8EO 511 327 D Y34 Mounting Bush @ 2.44 ea + vat
4no AN 101 277 07 Z21 Bolt Hex @ 0.64 ea + vat (although can use old ones)

Total 79.96 inc Vat

Here's a quick how to:

You'll need:
a 13mm ratchet spanner and extensions
a 16mm ratchet spanner and extensions (for top bolt on arb drop link)

Removing

– Remove rear underbody trim - where applicable.

Cabriolet models only

– Remove rear diagonal strut

Vehicles with 2 rear silencers

- Undo rear silencer bracket bolts and alloy system to hang loose.

Vehicles with heavy-duty suspension

– Remove stone deflector from trapezium link.

All vehicles (continued):

– Remove bolts -1-.

– Remove bolts -2-. Counterhold joint with open-end spanner (although mine didn't need this)

– Remove bolts -3-.

– Remove anti-roll bar with bushes.

arb3.jpg

Installing:

– Rubber bush must make contact with collar -arrow- on anti-roll bar.

arb4.jpg

– Fit bolts -3- and initially tighten hand-tight only.

– Fit and tighten bolts -2-

– Fit and tighten bolts -1-

– Lower vehicle onto its wheels and bounce suspension several times.

– Tighten bolts -3- to specified torque.

Vehicles with heavy-duty suspension

– Install stone deflector and tighten bolts

Vehicles with 2 rear silencers

– Re - install and align exhaust system

Cabriolet models only

– Install rear diagonal strut.

All vehicles (where applicable):

– Install rear underbody trim.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: martinivw, Rodgeri and dentdonkey
My steeler came up with a price £96 odd, but will cross reference those part numbers.

Did you get them from your local?

Its next on my list! :)

Is it worth fitting both front and back struts or just rear? will the rs4 parts fit any engine b7 a4?

It's always considered that the front one is thick enough as standard - so only the rear.

As far as I'm aware - they're all the same fitment on the rear - just the bar thickness is different - hence needing the bushes/brackets.

Was this fitted to an s line? I've just found out the RS4 bar is only 2mm thicker than the s line version so don't actually know if it would be worth changing mine. It Is 6mm thicker than the SE version so the difference would be noticeable. Can anyone who has upgraded their s line to the RS4 version notice that much difference and recommend doing it?

I went from the standard S4 one to the RS4 one and there wasn't a lot of size difference....but it certainly dialed out a lot of understeer.

p.s. I've the S4 one in Essex if anyone wants it for £20.

Was this fitted to an s line? I've just found out the RS4 bar is only 2mm thicker than the s line version so don't actually know if it would be worth changing mine.

I can't remember the maths...but 2mm can be something like 1 1/2 to 2 times stiffer. Quite a noticable amount...

When people are serious about messing about with ARBs, they are looking at bars with 1mm difference and multi-adjustable leverage points to in effect get between sizes.

I'm sure you'd notice a step up 2mm in diameter.

Reactions: Pete42 and Pedrödelabongo
Was this fitted to an s line? I've just found out the RS4 bar is only 2mm thicker than the s line version so don't actually know if it would be worth changing mine. It Is 6mm thicker than the SE version so the difference would be noticeable. Can anyone who has upgraded their s line to the RS4 version notice that much difference and recommend doing it?

SE bar = 16mm
S Line bar = 18mm
S4 bar = 20mm
RS4 bar = 22mm

So the RS4 bar is 4mm thicker than the S line bar, so even more of a difference will be noticed.

SE bar = 16mm
S Line bar = 18mm
S4 bar = 20mm
RS4 bar = 22mm

So the RS4 bar is 4mm thicker than the S line bar, so even more of a difference will be noticed.

I was told the 3.0 Tdi S LINE avant bar was 20mm, im not sure if the 3.0 is different to the 2.0? I also read one thread stating the 3.0 tdi has the same chassis set up as the S4, so that makes the case even stronger that it is 20mm.
I know its not a lot of money, but i cant justify the time (even though it wont take long) if it wont make that much difference.

I've never heard of a RS4 SS+??? I'm pretty sure the reason peolple havn't fitted the RARB from that is down to expense. The "standard RS4" is very cheap. Does anyone know the price for the RS4 SS+ bar???

The RS4 SS+ rear ARB is slightly thicker than the standard one. Any reason why folk aren't fitting that one?

I'm really not sure what you are talking about mate, i've just done a thorough search on google for this and it comes up with nothing.
Are you saying the RS4 SS+ is a special edition model or its just a type of RARB, either way you need to enlighten me cus i can't find anything out about it. If its a racing or Super sports RARB it will be way to harsh for road use anyway, thats why people wont use it.:uhm:

Sports Suspension Plus (SS+) was an option on the RS4. It consists of lower (-10mm), firmer springs and a thicker ARB (24mm IIRC) . Same shocks and DRC system.

Last edited:
Sports Suspension Plus (SS+) was an option on the RS4. It consists of lower (-10mm), firmer springs and a thicker ARB (24mm IIRC) . Same shocks and DRC system.

I learn something everyday, fair play mate i had never heard of that before. There is not too much information on it but i have found out it was a £500+ option so i dare say the RARB will be a lot more than the "standard one", that is probably why its not used (plus the fact not many people know about it). If anyone can find a price for this, it might be a better alternative. However depending on the price, DPM sell a front and rear ARB kit for £290 and the rear one is 24mm in that so it might be a cheaper route to go down if you want "serious" performance.

I've looked into this today as was told that there is only ONE size RS4 rear anti roll bar and that's the standard 22mm. Even got them to double check and they said it's the same on the SS+!

ChriS3 - If you have a RS4 and you think your 100% sure then please PM me the reg plate (as long as it's not a private plate) or the chassis number so I can double double check. thanks

I was told the 3.0 Tdi S LINE avant bar was 20mm, im not sure if the 3.0 is different to the 2.0? I also read one thread stating the 3.0 tdi has the same chassis set up as the S4, so that makes the case even stronger that it is 20mm.
I know its not a lot of money, but i cant justify the time (even though it wont take long) if it wont make that much difference.

I've never heard of a RS4 SS+??? I'm pretty sure the reason peolple havn't fitted the RARB from that is down to expense. The "standard RS4" is very cheap. Does anyone know the price for the RS4 SS+ bar???

Can you confirm the 3.0 s line is 20mm? if so i wont bother upgrading to 22mm.

I've looked into this today as was told that there is only ONE size RS4 rear anti roll bar and that's the standard 22mm. Even got them to double check and they said it's the same on the SS+!

ChriS3 - If you have a RS4 and you think your 100% sure then please PM me the reg plate (as long as it's not a private plate) or the chassis number so I can double double check. thanks

Have a look at this, details of the SS+ kit.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=23501547

Not sure what size the 3.0TDI is, but your local parts guy at the dealership should be able to tell you.

As for whether the extra 2mm will make a difference, Ess Three covered this earlier:-

I can't remember the maths...but 2mm can be something like 1 1/2 to 2 times stiffer. Quite a noticable amount...

When people are serious about messing about with ARBs, they are looking at bars with 1mm difference and multi-adjustable leverage points to in effect get between sizes.

I'm sure you'd notice a step up 2mm in diameter.

In short, if you want to reduce some of the body roll and understeer the RS4 bar is a good upgrade at at reasonable price without sacrificing your ride quality.

Last edited:
ive got a 2.0tdi, obviously only front wheel drive... is this going to increase my driving experience?! ive driven my mates avant (b7) and it feels more stable on the road than mine, and mines an s-line saloon!:redrs4:

great info, should be made as a sticky :)

ive got a 2.0tdi, obviously only front wheel drive... is this going to increase my driving experience?! ive driven my mates avant (b7) and it feels more stable on the road than mine, and mines an s-line saloon!:redrs4:
I totally agree with you, having been in a saloon aswell, my avant does feel a lot more stable. This makes me wonder how much improvement the stiffer bar will give on the road in the avant. I drive my car "enthusiastically" with very little roll in the corners as it is. The majority of people who have changed it on here have saloons, so i wonder if for some reason it gives better results???

I was informed by a parts guy on this forum that the s-line bar is 20mm.

This thread certainly seems to have sparked debate!!

Indeed, what difference would a front RS4 ARB put into the mix, or even an uprated RS4 ARB like one from eibach?

:banghead: I've listed the sizes across the range, I've also measured the S Line and RS 4 bars. As said, not sure if the 3.0TDI has a 20mm bar, but it shouldn't be too hard for an obliging forum member to crawl under their car and measure it for us :whip:

The rear bar will help both Saloon and Avant!

Front bar is the same throughout the A4 range including the RS4, so no point there.

Think the aftermarker RS 4 bars will be too much for road use on an A4, I think these are around 29mm upwards (rear). There may be other aftermarket bars for the A4 that are thinner, however they are all considerally more expensive than the OEM RS4 bar, so why bother? I'm sure pjmspeedy will be able to give some even better prices than the dealer parts department too.

This topic has been around since the B7 RS 4 was introduced on many forums both B7 and B6 - Try www.audizine.com for one. Similar threads for the A3 and S3 using Golf R32 ARB's. :thumbsup:

I think the lot of you should just do what I did.......

Stop talking about it

Get your wallet out

Get your spanners out

Enjoy the improved cornering ability

:whistle2:

Reactions: 46 doctor46
To clear this up..........
I measured my IT managers car this afternoon and S-Line's have 18mm RARB.

I think the lot of you should just do what I did.......
Stop talking about it

Get your wallet out

Get your spanners out

Enjoy the improved cornering ability

:whistle2:

Hear, hear!

Hear, hear!

The whole point of a forum is discussion boys, if we didnt discuss whats the point!! We are just trying to find out if certain mods are worth it. Maybe some of us dont just like doing every mod possible just for the sake of it, like some people!!:rockwoot:

In fairness in respect of this mod, I have yet to hear of anyone who has done it who hasn't claimed it to be one of the best mods they have ever done for the money.

We are just trying to find out if certain mods are worth it.

Hence why I took the time and shared my experience in my first post on this thread:

"And boy does it make a difference in corners! She sits a lot flatter, and turns in far better."

Take my word for it, it's the best £80 you could spend on improving the handling on an A4 :meeting:

well, it's the missus's 3.0 v6 tdi Quattro and i hadn't planned on messing with it tbh but after reading through this post, well, i'll be making some excuse and saying the car feels odd at the back end, that'll get me the chance to get this mod sorted LOL

I can't wait, next i'll have to get her to let me drive the dam thing as she's hooked!!

If you're fitting them yourselves (or at a garage) remember the wheels should be supporting the weight of the car and not any ramps, axles stands etc.

If you don't do this, once you've fitted the bar the rubbers, etc will twist as the wiegh goes back on. Basically you'll be clamping it in a position that's not it's normal resting place.

This is why the Audi instructions make it clear not to do it with the wheels hanging.

glad that you made that point clear, i'll be doing it myself at home.

Although I agree with this advice - and indeed fitted mine with my rear wheels up on ramps, the EPC instuctions for replacing the rear ARB don't actually mention it. They do say however at the end to 'lower your car to the ground and bounce the suspension manually several times!

:meeting:
If you're fitting them yourselves (or at a garage) remember the wheels should be supporting the weight of the car and not any ramps, axles stands etc.

If you don't do this, once you've fitted the bar the rubbers, etc will twist as the wiegh goes back on. Basically you'll be clamping it in a position that's not it's normal resting place.

This is why the Audi instructions make it clear not to do it with the wheels hanging.