Just fitted an RS4 Rear Sway Bar - WOW!

I think the lot of you should just do what I did.......
Stop talking about it

Get your wallet out

Get your spanners out

Enjoy the improved cornering ability

:whistle2:

i think I agree, apart from I'm not confident with fixing my audi xD I don't want to break it xD fancy helping me out? Also is there a front arb too?

i think I agree, apart from I'm not confident with fixing my audi xD I don't want to break it xD fancy helping me out? Also is there a front arb too?

Reading the whole thread i think someone mentioned that most of the Front ARB's are the same size, but i'm not going to confrm that lol, as for fitting it, it is a pretty easy job you cant really go wrong... altho.. sometimes it does lol

Also is there a front arb too?

You don't need to change the front anti-roll bar. The front bar is the same for all models. Keep in mind that increasing rear roll stiffness reduces understeer. So it follows that increasing front roll stiffness (by fitting a thicker front bar) would have the opposite effect.

Seems like this needs to be done! I will check the drop links this weekend to see whether I need new ones or not. Will post with results when fitted also

If you're fitting them yourselves (or at a garage) remember the wheels should be supporting the weight of the car and not any ramps, axles stands etc.

If you don't do this, once you've fitted the bar the rubbers, etc will twist as the wiegh goes back on. Basically you'll be clamping it in a position that's not it's normal resting place.

This is why the Audi instructions make it clear not to do it with the wheels hanging.

Being old-fashioned, I think of ramps as being the wedge shaped metal frameworks that cause teh wheels to continue to support the weight of the vehicle, but approx 10" above the ground.
And the original hydraulic ramps are moving "wheel tracks" that can be raise many feet into the air.
Can you not use either of these to install the RARB, or will I *have* to get the car on the ground to bounce the suspension to settle the mounts before completing the clamp tightening?

A hoist, however, may allow the wheel to be hanging free, as is needed for many servicing operations (but not this one)
Obviously, if you let the wheels hang down, then the shape of the ARB is extended slightly (end to end), and so cannot be fitted without excessive force.

I'm surprised about the comment about the bush sizes; too much sticking and there will be residual lean, but too slack, and the roll-resistance will be decreased. So fitting the "A" bushes to the 22mm ARB might be slightly sticky, and will be worst when initially fitted, and will only wear into a "better" more nominal state. Of course, fitting the right "D" bushes to the 22mm ARB will have the right level of "give" to reduce vibration, etc.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Got mine in today to get this done. Can't wait to get it back.

Ordered the bits on Saturday from Audi for just under 140 GBP (including bolts for exhaust and drop-links)
Awaiting delivery, and then good enough weather to get out and install.

Ordered the bits on Saturday from Audi for just under 140 GBP (including bolts for exhaust and drop-links)
Awaiting delivery, and then good enough weather to get out and install.

Bits have arrived, but then so has the weather.
Next stage is to get some free space in the garage, and then some free time to enjoy that space!

Reactions: maikysupra
Fitted mine last Saturday. Roundabouts are now a completely different experience.

Best description I can come up with is that fitting an RS4 ARB "sure's up the back end".

In two minds wether to get this done...Luke from east Kent Audi said the cabs only show an S4 as the biggest bar but on the avant of course they have the rs4 bar...does anyone think the rs4 version would be a problem for the cab?

Fitted mine last Saturday. Roundabouts are now a completely different experience.

Best description I can come up with is that fitting an RS4 ARB "sure's up the back end".

One of the benefits is meant to be that it reduces the understeer, so it "sures up the front end", as well.

Moving the action of keeping the car flat to the rear wheels means the front can be left with lower task loading, and can keep the two tyres at even contact force, so both wheels contribute to the steering. When the rear is softer, the front has to help keep the car flat, and so the inner wheel has lower contact force, and helps less with the steering.

Ultimate is when an inside rear wheel lifts, and the car is in tripod mode; at this point, the rear axle has done (almost) all it can to keep things stable, and the front has to start compromising its down-forces.

Just been reading start to finish on this , sounds like the way to go.
As there has been no updates for over a year i wanted to check what the situation is re part numbers.
I was going to order parts this week but would like to check the definative parts listing /reqiurements as of june 2014 to ensure i get the correct part numbers etc.
any updates would be great guys .
rob

Where do people reccomend getting these parts? the ARB from Audi has literally doubled since this post

Usual Audi tactic of supply & demand pricing structure :mad:

I can imagine the yearly Audi pricing meeting probably goes like this....

"Soooooo a lot of people really want these hey, hmmmm, I know rather than lower the price to encourage higher turn over we shall increase the price to punish our loyal customers! great idea ya? "

Vorsch sprung durch technik my ****, more like progress through extortionate pricing structures :audibash:

Reactions: darren t and gary_a4_quattro
yep, rushed out just after getting the car to get one, ordered it up, went to fit it and found out i allready had one fitted:think:, anyway took it back and got a refund, but a great mod:cool::) .

If you wanna have a go yourself, here's what you need from your Audi Stealer:

2no A8AO 511 439 Clip @ 4.16 ea + vat
1no A8EO 511 409 AL Stabilizer Bar @ £53.77 ea + vat
2no A8EO 511 327 D Y34 Mounting Bush @ 2.44 ea + vat
4no AN 101 277 07 Z21 Bolt Hex @ 0.64 ea + vat (although can use old ones)

Total 79.96 inc Vat

!

This is the WRONG code. It is exactly the stock part number we all have on our cars!!!
The correct upgrade/RS4 part number is: 8EO 511 439.

Someone please double check and edit the original post.

Reactions: Jeebsy
Good to know, thought it would be just be same as the RS4 so for similar money the 034 is worth going for

After looking on audizine, the guys there rate the 034 kit as much of a difference again as they noticed when going from stock to rs4, so from what ive seen id say the 034 arb is worth the money and i will be getting one in a couple of months after a few more important jobs.

My advice would be don't believe everything you read. What people say is one thing but the effect it has may be another.

And that's not to say the 034 kit isn't good. I am just saying its kinda ripple effect and causing the opposite effect well in theory at least.

So you may be thinking what is this guy going on about.

Well let me help explain the stock ARB on a saloon Quattro or estate Quattro is tiny in comparison to the RS4 on the rear, were as the DTM edition and s4 have thicker bars at the rear. You will notice there is no mention of anyone changing the front bar and the reason for this is physics.

The physics of putting a thicker bar on a 4wd car helps prevent understeer and will aid for front end turn in. That's not to say it will remove all the understeer as naturally the rear of the vehicle will be pushing forward and the front wheels will be turning so the nature of Quattro is understeer. That said not everyone will experience this limit on a public road.

But the point I am trying to get across is if you going to put a thicker bar at the rear great. If you going to replace both you kinda defeating the point of putting a thicker bar in the front. Yes the vehicle will feel more solid and planted in corners but the over steer will be more pronounced than a vehicle with a smaller bar in the front.

I hope this helps and that the explanation is easy to understand.

Reactions: maxdrz400
well put that man , also allways check with a gauge what size arb you have fitted as it may not be as expected.

Reactions: maxdrz400
Yeah i get what you are saying, i was planning on leaving the front alone anyway.
My thoughts at the moment are stock bar is 18mm i believe, rs4 is 21mm? And 034 is 25mm, surely if you are going to upgrade anyway it makes sense to get the best you can afford.
Now i have also read, that different manufacturers bars will handle differently with different size in mm's
Say a 25mm 034 bar might not be any stiffer than a 22mm h&r bar (purely an example)
So assuming the 034 bar isnt much stiffer than an rs4 (even though people report it to be) its got to be a good investment for £160 when compared with the cost of other arb's on the market

Reactions: Jeebsy
But the point I am trying to get across is if you going to put a thicker bar at the rear great. If you going to replace both you kinda defeating the point of putting a thicker bar in the front. Yes the vehicle will feel more solid and planted in corners but the over steer will be more pronounced than a vehicle with a smaller bar in the front.

"In addition, the 034Motorsport B6/B7 Audi A4/S4/RS4 Rear Sway Bar is engineered to be used effectively with the stock front sway bar. No upgrade in the front is needed or required."

Damn, wish I'd seen that link before I got my RS4 one.

On second thoughts, I've read it's so rigid, it shatters the sway bar links, making it imperative to also get the 034Motorsport links. Think I'll stick with the RS4 one for now :)

Damn, wish I'd seen that link before I got my RS4 one.

On second thoughts, I've read it's so rigid, it shatters the sway bar links, making it imperative to also get the 034Motorsport links. Think I'll stick with the RS4 one for now :)

had mine fitted for well over a year on standard roll bar links and i have no problems with them being broken, car gets plenty of stick too as well

yep, rushed out just after getting the car to get one, ordered it up, went to fit it and found out i allready had one fitted:think:, anyway took it back and got a refund, but a great mod:cool::) .

Anyone know if "quattro gmbh" built 2007 s-line special edition quattro cars come with RS4 size roll bars as standard?

Last edited:
no they dont, i havent found out why mine had one fitted yet but audi say it was a factory fitment for some reason, and i'm not the only special ed quattro to have one either they say ,so i cant really complain, maybe they were short on stock and fitted the next available ARB at the factory.