what tyres? a4 170 quattro

offset

Reaction score
my car has michelin tyres on ,235 -40 -18 inch heavy load. finding it hard to get cheaper quotes than £180.any help please.:kissmyrings:

do you really need to go for michelin , i have used goodyears on my last two a4s and well pleased last ones were previous tread pattern butgot them for £100 vat included they get a wee bit noisy when worn but grip is good .

Did you check camskill online? I have heard the Goodyear F1 asymmetric, vredestein ultrac sessanta are both supposed to be good. Im in the market for tyres soon but I might not be able to stretch to these so I was thinking of or Falken fk452. There is a good tyre review site here http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

I picked up 4x 235/40/18 XL Y Conti Sport Contact 3's brand new (still with stickers) for £400 off eBay. All 2009 manufacture dates. Give me a PM and I'll send you the guys contact details if your interested.

Cheapest I could find them was £145 each on mytyres.

Prior to that I picked up a couple of part worn Conti 2's with 6mm of tread, £90 the pair.

im going away from the michs as I ahve them on my A4 and hate them!! and they have been crap at lasting! in only 15k they have gone from new to the wear markers! and thats all motorway miles!

im moving over to some Accelera Phi tyres - http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b872s337p15818

my tyre guy who gets me all my tyres for my cars can get me these in 235 - 40 -18s for only £65 a corner fitted, he runs some on his 350Z and says they are pretty good. I also ran their Alpha tyre on my mk1 track car as was very impressed with the grip and feel of them,

all i will say is make sure the new tyres are extra load, and check the markings on the side wall, ie the tread wear number etc, as this will give an idea as to how good the tyre is..a low tread wear number means it will be worn out very fast, ie my mich have a tread wear number of only 220!! the scale goes from 100-500..and the traction is how well it stops on a wet concrete test track under set conditions. AA being the best.

15000 miles on the front.....id have killed for that!My conti 2's were only good for 8000.Have had goodyear eagle f1's and i loved them.No idea how they wear cos i sold my b7 after about 4000 miles.My b8 has come with bridgestone potenzas and seem ok.Would have preferred the goodyears but not at £200 a corner...i need that cash to make up for the ridiculous mpg my 2.0 tdi 170 is giving me

:kissmyrings:thanks for your input guys ,i will shop about ,ive got 3.5 mm tread left on my michelins they have covered nearly 20,000 miles .mostly motorway these where on from new,when i got the car .

I run Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's at £135 a corner.....

AUDI-vi.jpg

I picked up 4x 235/40/18 XL Y Conti Sport Contact 3's brand new (still with stickers) for £400 off eBay. All 2009 manufacture dates. Give me a PM and I'll send you the guys contact details if your interested.

Cheapest I could find them was £145 each on mytyres.

Prior to that I picked up a couple of part worn Conti 2's with 6mm of tread, £90 the pair.

Pm me those details please mate, ive taken to buying partly used myself, i picked up 2 conti contact 3s for £140 with 6mm on.

I running 4 Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's @ 120 a corner from Mytyres 2 weeks ago.
They look good and before i chose them I did a lot of research and looked at Hankooks, Falkens Kumhos and Toyo's.
All the info I found said they were very good for a tyre that a lot of people had not heard of.
I had Goodyear F1's on my old A4 and the wear rate was attrociuos!

i had the previous vredstein ultrac i think it was called good all rounder and good mileage

I running 4 Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's @ 120 a corner from Mytyres 2 weeks ago.
They look good and before i chose them I did a lot of research and looked at Hankooks, Falkens Kumhos and Toyo's.
All the info I found said they were very good for a tyre that a lot of people had not heard of.
I had Goodyear F1's on my old A4 and the wear rate was attrociuos!

Not bad i can get redestein Ultrac Sessanta's for £96.80 a corner!

A bit off topic but has anyone changed the size of their tyres from 235/40 18 to 225/40 18? The 225 are a bit cheaper and all replica alloys with tyres seem to come in that size. Would there be much difference if I changed the size of the tyres?

A bit off topic but has anyone changed the size of their tyres from 235/40 18 to 225/40 18? The 225 are a bit cheaper and all replica alloys with tyres seem to come in that size. Would there be much difference if I changed the size of the tyres?

Was thinking that the other day myself, do the 225s still come in XL (extra load)?

But to answer your question technically this is the difference

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator.htm

Or see the difference visually here-

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

Apparently with 225s your speed will be 1.2% less than indicated on your speedo.

At the end of the day you are shortening the width of the tyre so there is less rubber on the road and more weight onto less surface area so more pressure on the tyres.

Not sure how they would effect handling though, always believed wider tyres were safer.

The Vredesteins are great in the dry, but pants in the wet, had them on my TT, always use Vredesteins as I get 55% off..

It would be worth you getting a set of summer and winter tyres, then you will be fine all year round..

The sessantas tend to give a little then grip, so be aware of this, otherwise you may go to correct wheny you don'tneed to..

All vredeteins are changing next year to conform with noise standards..

I've just had 4 Michelin PS2's fitted at costco, they have got 20% off at the minute. It worked out at £166 a tyre fully fitted, which is a bargain. I had these tyres on the car before and rate them highly. The grip is fantastic and they last quite well even with my ENTHUSIASTIC driving style!

Yep, I run 2 225/40/18's on the front of my car, there are XL's available, but rare. I run non-XL's and they're OK.

I posted on another thread yesterday abouth the XL issue, and got a bit concerned, so i rang audi to ask. They said that the rteson for XL was due to the low profile, and should you get an immediate puncture, i.e. goes flat immediatley, then the side wall can cope.

Thts not the design for XL tyres, but that is the reason they fitted them as standard.

The 225/40/18 sit better and work better with the given pressures. The 235's are just too cumbersome for the pressure and i have had 3/4 michelins end up with severe flat spots on them, 1 BF Goodrich (I know, i was desperate) end up with canvas on the inside edge.

Overall, in my experience (20k on 225's) i think that they are better, and make the help the car with the euro look!

The only downside is...watch the kerbs!! :crying: