Looking at buying an S4 Avant very soon....

Daxcossie

Daxcossie
Reaction score
Website
www.daxsportingclub.com
Hi All,

I am looking to buy an S4 Avant (Manual) as my family has just got a whole person bigger and the wife tells me that the Golf PD150 wont be big enough.

Cannot decide if I should spend 15k on an 04 model thats done approx 45-50,000 miles or push the boat out and get a facelift 05/06 model thats done 30/35,000 miles.

Any advice on the difference in model years would be great and any other pros and cons between them aswell as what to look out for on used models around this age ?

:s4addict:

Hello! This might be completely irrelevant but I owned a b6 v6 tdi avant last year then moved to the same car but facelift and the difference was massive, even though they look very similar the b7 feels a lot more modern and lighter!

Best try them both and see for yourself. Whats the price difference?

Chris

I have never driven either, but IMO the B6 S4's look a lot more "S" than the B7's - unless you are close up it's hard to distinguish a B7 S4 from any other B7, whereas the B6 S4's seem to stand out as a lot more aggressive.

5k is a lot (to me) but I suspect it might be worth it for the drive.

I'd give them both a go and make your mind up.

Looking forward to the report and photos!

Chris

Welcome to the site.

I had the B6 S4 & it was lovely but the B7 is more modern looking & worth the extra as resale value aswell would be affected, but just also & seriously think about the fuel bill mate, we're talking realistically between 16-21mpg, mostly below 20, it drinks like a fish so if you want to watch the pocket aswell then get yourself a nice 3.0TDI V6 B7 Avant that has a lovely engine & same chassis as the S4 mostly, plus tuning possibilities which would also compare with the S4 but with 2-3 times the fuel economy, so the money you save can be put to good use somewhere else or on car upgrades & continue to save year after year.