recommend me an A4 Avant Auto, budget £14k max

p1tse

Reaction score
recommend me an A4 Avant Auto, budget £14k max

something fun and practical

below average miles, so i assume an earlier example for the budget

thanks

For that budget you are looking at a 2.0 TDi or 2.0 TFSi, the 3.0TDi will be out of your budget with low mileage. Do you really need the auto ? I have the DSG A3 and i'm looking to change it because of the autobox, I did have an A4 TDi Multitronic as a loan car and whilst the box wasn't bad the DSG was more fun .... but then the reason I want to change is because the car is no fun.

from driving apart from the flappy paddles, what are the main differences in drive from multitronic and dsg?

ideally auto.

what are you thinking of changing yours too?

i'm changing mine to anything with a manual box ! at the moment its between an A4 2.0 T or the cabriolet version, possibly a Focus ST or Astra VXR.

The A3 has the DSG box as is almost manual like in its layout, it has clutches and no power sapping torque converter. The Multitronic is a CVT layout ands a series of belts, it varies from 6/7 or 8 speed there were a lot of issues with them failing around 60k so if you do get one make sure it had the fluid change at 40k. I prefer DSG but then as I want a manual thats not saying much. Try and drive one to see what you think but go for a long run and try some back roads. Autos are great if you do a lot of urban stop start work but they do lack some fun.

i've always had manuals but driven autos.

having sold my car i've borrowed a low power bmw 318 auto
even the low power, i do enjoy the ease of the auto

driven a R32 DSG and loved it, but not many in my price bracket.
i had a good go in it, and can't see myself even in a sporty dsg use the paddle shifts often to be honest, but at least it is there when required.

i can see the dsg taking away the fun of left foot clutch and going through the gearbox H pattern box though, even if the dsg is superb in it's own right.

was there a true auto i.e. non multitronic on the a4?

i can see you wanting more fun, alot of good deals on st, vxr, cabriolet etc.
for out right fun i think i would choose the st, but for a balance of everything if i could choose i would have the cab ;-)

3.0 TDI is lovely car & tbh prices have dropped a fair bit, even a 60-80k car is still very good tbh, just do all usual checks & I suspect you'd be fine, I still want one myself tbh