2005 7 speed auto lcd gear selection display problem

stubby

Reaction score
hi can anybody please help i have a 2005 2.0 cvt diesel with the 7speed auto/tip,the problem is an intermitant one, the gear selection display on the instrument cluster work fine sometimes highlighting the gear your in in an orange box then out of the blue the whole gear selection lights up orange (park drive reverse etc) then 5 mins later works fine again,its not flashing as in other posts and the car runs fine,has anyone come across this problem before?? i thought it might be damp or a bad connection somewhere,but dont know where to begin any help/sugestions would be great?thanks

I'd start by getting a VAG-COM scan of the gearbox ECU done to see what fault codes are showing. That will give you a clue where to start looking.

Sounds like a dodgy cluster connection or actual lcd if the cars running fine cause if was gearbox I would hazard it would run wrong & you would know straight away, you can take the cluster apart & check connections if you're that technically minded, just take time & care & should be fine, I've done mine many times & not problem touch wood to date

But Dave's right, give it a scan 1st anyway as nothings impossible these days huh.

thanks guys i have had it on the computor today and the fault showed was speed sensor 2 intermitant fault,is this the one on the front near side hub? im a bit worried its the gearbox ecu but the display isnt flashing any help is much appreciated?

If its intermittant I cant imagine the abs/speed sensor causing the cluster to go funny, I assume you've now cleared this fault or any & driven again & tested to see if that fault comes back at the same time as the cluster issue?

A logged intermittent fault can cause some funny things to happen, clear it and see if the gear display goes funny again.

If/when it does check to see if the same fault code comes back.

hi guys tried stripping clocks down and checking contacts also took gear selector cover off cleaned the switching/magnets under there still got the problem it only comes on when up to running temp what this means i have no idea,im getting it back on the diagnostic next week,in the mean time if anyone has any ideas i will try anything.cheers