AH FabricationsBadger5
    Neutral

Status

Brake Squeak/Squeal

Hi - has anyone had brake squeak/squeal problems? I have a really annoying low speed squeak on my 07 plate A4 Avant. Is de-glazing something that still needs to happen occasionally these days or am I looking at a stuck caliper or something?

Any suggestions greatfully received before I face a trip to the local stealer!

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    also have this so keen to know the cause...
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

Neutral

Status
    Off to Edinburgh Audi tomorrow for them to take a look - they have come accross this before aparently.........will let you know how I get on!

5th Gear

Status
    Please do let me know
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

Neutral

Status
    No fault found! They had i out on a road test and on the ramp/brake tester and all OK. They re-greased calipers in case pressure washing had washed away grease just in case - no squeaks on the way home but it did only do it when the brakes were hot. I'll let you know if it comes back.

Oh, and I got a free oil change/top-up as the low oil light came on while i was on my wat to the dealer, thanks Edinburgh Audi :-)

1st Gear

Status
    I found that smearing the back of the brake pads and the sliding surfaces on the caliper with copper grease stops squeals, especially in slow traffic.
    Fiat Stilo 2.4 Abarth 170bhp and climbing!

My BM is fixed!

Status
    The squeaking is the hard compound of the pads, get a softer set of pads or grooved discs.
    Smearing copper ease on the back of the pads wont do jack.

If someone could explain how putting anti-seize compound on the back of a brake pad will stop it squeaking I'd be interested to hear it.
    Copper ease should be used sparingly only on the moving parts of the pad, anywhere else will only attract the dust.
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

5th Gear

Status
    Already got grooved discs, not sure what the pads are though

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Chris is correct, but you'll find if the pads bedded into the disk some, then this causes squeaking sometimes, I found the best option was to have the discs skimmed flat again so no ridge as such, soon resolved the problem & as my then discs were 500 on my S3 it was way cheaper, didnt squeak after that

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

My BM is fixed!

Status
    Try taking the pads out and giving the friction surface a going over with some emery cloth to deglaze them. Sometimes works.
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

Neutral

Status
    Well the car was back at the dealer today as the squeak was as bad as ever a few days after the last visit.........despit this now being the 3rd time they have seen the car for this issue they for the first time said that they had identified the problem as a build up of brake dust/debris and wanted 150 to dismantle/clean etc.!! Oh and by the say this might not work & it might need new pads! It's only done 13k miles since new!

I told them there was no way I was paying for an investigative clean and after a fairly heated discussion and escalation to the service manager they are doing it for free........i'll let you know how it is when I get it back tomorrow.....

loves quattro

Status
    Never had it on the A4 - but on all other car's I've had such noises are caused by a vibration in the pad, in turn caused by a build up of brake dust.

Removing pads, cleaning them and the caliper/pistons before smearing the back of the pad with copper grease and putting it back together generally cures the problem.

As a short term fix - take the wheel off and give the brakes a blast with an airline - you'll be amazed at how much dust you get out that way

Neutral

Status
    I'm pretty sure that's what the dealer was going to do and try and charge me 150 for!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Well if they were removing the wheels, etc on all 4 then thats expected tbh, why cant you do it yourself? These things are wear & tear tbh & if you've been braking hard then this is what happens, not to say you are but regular hard braking can cause these issues.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

5th Gear

Status
    apart from the annoying noise does this cause any damage/affect the braking effectiveness?