Sky InsuranceBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

Help with Alcantara

Morning All,

I have a DTM edition A4 which is great, however the alcantara trim on the steering wheel, gearstick and handbrake have given up the ghost. The car's done 40,000 miles. I took this up with Audi just before the warranty ran out, only to be told thats its fair wear and tear. Great.
    To that end i'm looking to either repair or replace said items. Any thoughts on either?
    If I replace the items I wouldn't go for alcantara again, so what style of steering wheel would you suggest?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    40,000 miles! - some RS4 owners who spec'd the suede wheel, gearstick and handbrake were seeing significant wear after a few hundred miles.

Go for the leather versions of what you have.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

5th Gear

Status
    My wheel and handbrake are ok, although I try not to use the parts on the wheel if I can help it as conscious (sp?) it would knacker it. The gear knob though is very worn and I'm on 30,000miles, not very impressed
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

Neutral

Status
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'given up the ghost' but when I bought my A4 S-Line SE which has the Alcantara steering wheel / gear nob had gone almost smooth and felt like the pile had been shaved / worn off.

I knew this wasn't the case though - its just a build up of dirt and grease from peoples hands.

Get hold of a cleaning product called Autosmart (AS) Brisk - about 6 on ebay. Spray some onto the wheel / knob and then use a microfiber cloth (this bit is importaint) and pull it back and forward around the wheel.

Mine all came up like brand new, and turned two new clothes BLACK with dirt!

5th Gear

Status
    Addie's right , I've just used some leather cleaner from my sofas and gave it a good scrub, and the grease has almost gone, the piles are back, but not in full effect, will give it another go later, but a hell of an improvement already. Cheers for that tip!!!
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

Reverse Gear

Status
    Great piece of advice. I tried it last night and the steering wheel and gearknob have come up a treat.

Nice one

Neutral

Status
    Just done my steering wheel and gearstick with Brisk and has come up great.

Thanks for the tip.

Adam
    2012 Audi A5 Sportback 3.0TDI S-Line Quattro (245PS), 7 Speed DSG • Ibis White • B&O Sound Package • Black Styling Package • 20" Alloys • TPMS • DAB • Folding & Dimming mirrors • Privacy Glass • Interior Light Package Technology Pack High
    Retrofit • Cruise Control