Should I reject this car?

jsh

Reaction score
Hi
I took delivery of my 2.0TDi S-line Cab on March 1st. It's a 57 plate (November 2007) car with 6k on the clock. It is a lovely car with great spec BUT....
The roof has jammed twice in the halfway up position requiring me to help it out manually. A couple of days ago the sun was out so I took the roof down and it refused to go back up at all, so I had to drive to my local dealer (Stoke Audi) at 5.30 in the evening to get assistance. They were not the supplying dealer but were very helpful and diagnosed it as needing a new potentiometer (the car didn't seem to know what state the roof was in!) Whilst talking to the tech, I mentioned that the steering was grinding on full lock and he admitted that this was a common problem and would need a new rack. My conundrum is this - I have 30 days to reject the car and get my money back (from Sheffield Audi) but I would find it difficult to replace with a car of the same spec at that price (I Paid £19.5K). The car is under warranty - but do I need the hassle and does this indicate the car is a "Friday afternooner"
Any comments would be helpful/welcome
Cheers
John

Get warranty to fix it & ask for an extra 30 days from the repair dates completed to test the car or you'll hand it back, audi warranty is very good usually, the stealer knew of the issues & wanted warranty to cover it I would think, but then again if its under audi warranty still anyway then the stealer would still not be out of pocket as audi cover these costs not the stealers.

If they wont give you 30 days after all repairs then refuse the car full stop, but if they agree then make sure they do a 4000 point check over the car with you aswell to check for any other issues, fine & comb are words spring to mind, if they agree then cant see why you'd refuse car then mate.

Sounds like good advice from NHM. I have a 08 (57) cab I bought from new. I had to get the steering rack replaced on the first service too, it’s been fine ever since. If you love the car give them a chance to put it right. I bought a used cab before this one I had to take it back several times for silly things that should have been right from the start, got there in the end though, and as the sun was out I even managed to blag a loan of a sales Cab while they fixed mine J

Thanks Guys
That's good advice and I concur with your views. I have just emailed the salesman and officially rejected the car in writing. However, I said that I would consider allowing the car to be repaired (preferably by my local dealer who, to be fair, were very good at 6PM in the evening) subject to a further 30 days to test the car and a full multipoint check.

TBH, I do love the car and don't want my money back really... I think that the steering should have been picked up in a PDI though. Particularly if it's a known issue.

In my experience the PDI’s are seldom carried out properly. The faults I found on mine the day I drove it out of the forecourt were as follows.

• When I initially viewed the car the driver’s door handle was missing and was one of things for the dealer to put right. After collecting the car I went to fill it up with petrol and as I shut the door the handle fell off!

• The balancing was way out and I experience judder on the steering wheel at 60 mph.

• The lever in the boot to lift the hood compartment didn’t do anything.

• One number plate light was broken the other was missing completely!

In fairness the dealer was very good and rectified all the problems promptly with no quibbles, but IMO the problems should not have been there in the first place. The annoying thing was not having my Cab while the sun was shining J

Hi Gents,

It seem that cabriolets are suffering these days, maybe this is because they are not built by Audi but by Karmann (I think that’s how you spell it) Some of you may have read my issues regarding my 58 plate S line special edition cabriolet in the dealer discussion forum (Its under subject Crawley Audi). I know that the paint issue was caused by the dealer / Delivery Company; the car was delivered with fall out all over it and to cut a long story short after acid Washing the car! In the end they had to machine polish the body to remove the contaminates. Whilst machine polishing they scratched the boot lid, all resolved now. Just had the car in for a few minor issue with my local dealer, the window on the drivers side did not always shut in to the rubber but out side it, my front fog lights were misted up, the storage box in the boot was not always recognised by the roof and so would not allow the roof to fold. The cruise control would cut out from time to time, brake pedal switch adjustment. Then the most annoying two rattles from around the roof surround and what we thought was the aircon, turned out to be the auto dimming rear view mirror switch rattling!! Also logged a issue with the gearbox being very tight when cold outside, they logged it with Audi Uk. (Currently another post going about this issue I believe it only affects the 2.0T)

Now I have owned Audi's since I was 21 (Now 26) the first being an S plate A3 1.8 sport, which was built like a brick S^&t house the doors weighed a ton and the switches had a very reassuring click to them, didn't have a fault with it in 2 years. The second was an 03 plate cabriolet 1.8T sport brought when it was 2 years old, which was fine to start off the only fault under warranty was the rear anti roll bar cracked. However towards the end of the 3 years I had it, I had to replace the radio because the display lots lines in the dot matrix. I could not listen to the tuner because the amplifier / coaxial lead had broken. As I said above the new one has had some issues in its short 6 month life and it only has 2500 miles on the clock, I'm dreading to think what it will be like 4 years down the line.
Never mind might be a good excuse with the missus to change for an A5 cabriolet!!!
Hope you have some luck. I must say I'm a lot happier now I’m back dealing with my local dealer and they have sorted all the problems, just to top it off the weather has given us a great chance to go topless :yahoo:

Sheridan