Can you retro fit auto boot opening?

razza1

Reaction score
Website
www.maidenhead-systema.co.uk
It's a little thing that's annoying me, and it's only a £30 option when new, can you (or a garage) retro fit the automatic boot opening mechanism? It'll be more important when I've got the little one with me and therefore easier to press a button and not have to try and juggle things to lift it myself.

Yes if you have the saloon?

You need 2 new boot hinges and the springs for each side. About £130 in parts + the new hinges may need painting.

Have the saloon, it has the remote unlocking already which opens the boot ever so slightly but it doesn't spring open wide. Do I just need the springs then? If so what's the part numbers and price?

If it's the £130 mentioned above then I'll forget it, thought that since it was only a £30 option then it wouldn't be too expensive to do retrospectively

If you had springs strong enought to lift the avant lid, you'll most likely be launched 20 foot from the car when it opened.

from what I understand the uprated springs fasten to the hinges in a different way (which are also different) And ... but I'll need to confirm this... I think the uprated spring hinges mount to the body in different posistions to the std spring/hinge combination

right a bit more digging and I think all you need it the following;

4F5827665A x 2 (springs)
8E5827552K x2 (Struts - different gas pressure to std struts)
8E5 827 302 RIGHT hinge
8E5 827 301 LEFT hinge

No change in hinge mount point

I doubt you'll find them in a scrapyard but you never know I guess! £30 when ordered new was a bargain!

IIRC the struts were £25 each and the hinges about £40 (+vat) I cant recall if the hinges come painted but I very much doubt it.

It only opens the boot though - there never was an option for it to be closed automatically.

IIRC the option was saloon only on the B7. Maybe with a lot of work you could fit the electric openers from the C6 A6 Avant onto the B7? Never seen it done yet though....

Maybe I read it wrong, I'm sure when I checked the parkers spec for the B7 it had it as an optional extra which was only £30. Clearly that would save the cost of the normal struts and hinges and would only be the difference in cost between the two.

It's the new models that have automatic opening and closing according the audi website, so wondered if it was the same for the B7, obviously not.

Thanks guys for your help and the info around this :thumbs:, but it looks too expensive for a nice to have. I'd rather put that towards a remap.

Maybe I read it wrong, I'm sure when I checked the parkers spec for the B7 it had it as an optional extra which was only £30.

Yup it was a £30 option. Audi option prices dont always relate directly to the value of the extra parts fitted though.

Yup it was a £30 option. Audi option prices dont always relate directly to the value of the extra parts fitted though.
Prices of options like this are, at best, the DIFFERENCE in price between the parts that are normally fitted and the parts for the option.

For example, IF the price of the normal struts = £200 and the price of the option struts = £230 then the price of the option could be £30, but it would cost £230 to retrofit it.