JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
    5th Gear

Status

Can you retro fit auto boot opening?

It's a little thing that's annoying me, and it's only a Ł30 option when new, can you (or a garage) retro fit the automatic boot opening mechanism? It'll be more important when I've got the little one with me and therefore easier to press a button and not have to try and juggle things to lift it myself.
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Yes if you have the saloon?

You need 2 new boot hinges and the springs for each side. About Ł130 in parts + the new hinges may need painting.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

5th Gear

Status
    Have the saloon, it has the remote unlocking already which opens the boot ever so slightly but it doesn't spring open wide. Do I just need the springs then? If so what's the part numbers and price?

If it's the Ł130 mentioned above then I'll forget it, thought that since it was only a Ł30 option then it wouldn't be too expensive to do retrospectively
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

6th Gear

Status
    How about the Avant? Is it possible on that?
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

6th Gear

Status
    If you had springs strong enought to lift the avant lid, you'll most likely be launched 20 foot from the car when it opened.
    MY15 8V S3 Sportback with options

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by auroan View Post
    If you had springs strong enought to lift the avant lid, you'll most likely be launched 20 foot from the car when it opened.

lol! Do I need just to add the springs then, I'm not bothered about it closing automatically, I'll have a free hand by then, it's just the opening part...?

6th Gear

Status
    from what I understand the uprated springs fasten to the hinges in a different way (which are also different) And ... but I'll need to confirm this... I think the uprated spring hinges mount to the body in different posistions to the std spring/hinge combination

5th Gear

Status
    bugger.

6th Gear

Status
    right a bit more digging and I think all you need it the following;

4F5827665A x 2 (springs)
    8E5827552K x2 (Struts - different gas pressure to std struts)
    8E5 827 302 RIGHT hinge
    8E5 827 301 LEFT hinge

No change in hinge mount point
    Last edited by auroan; 19th March 2009 at 14:54.

5th Gear

Status
    and prices please although I suspect it's as Isaac mentioned below... maybe a scrap yard is a better bet...

5th Gear

Status
    I doubt you'll find them in a scrapyard but you never know I guess! Ł30 when ordered new was a bargain!

IIRC the struts were Ł25 each and the hinges about Ł40 (+vat) I cant recall if the hinges come painted but I very much doubt it.

It only opens the boot though - there never was an option for it to be closed automatically.

IIRC the option was saloon only on the B7. Maybe with a lot of work you could fit the electric openers from the C6 A6 Avant onto the B7? Never seen it done yet though....
    Last edited by Issac Hunt; 19th March 2009 at 15:09.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

5th Gear

Status
    Maybe I read it wrong, I'm sure when I checked the parkers spec for the B7 it had it as an optional extra which was only Ł30. Clearly that would save the cost of the normal struts and hinges and would only be the difference in cost between the two.

It's the new models that have automatic opening and closing according the audi website, so wondered if it was the same for the B7, obviously not.

Thanks guys for your help and the info around this :thumbs:, but it looks too expensive for a nice to have. I'd rather put that towards a remap.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by razza1 View Post
    Maybe I read it wrong, I'm sure when I checked the parkers spec for the B7 it had it as an optional extra which was only Ł30.
    Yup it was a Ł30 option. Audi option prices dont always relate directly to the value of the extra parts fitted though.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Issac Hunt View Post
    Yup it was a Ł30 option. Audi option prices dont always relate directly to the value of the extra parts fitted though.
    Prices of options like this are, at best, the DIFFERENCE in price between the parts that are normally fitted and the parts for the option.

For example, IF the price of the normal struts = Ł200 and the price of the option struts = Ł230 then the price of the option could be Ł30, but it would cost Ł230 to retrofit it.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5