Soot from exhaust when revving the 2.0 TDI Audi engine - normal?

sclamb

Reaction score
Hi

When I rev the engine while the car is sitting on my drive (by blipping the throttle) I see some black stuff (which I presume is soot) coming out of the exhausts and I wonder if this is normal. If I blip it hard then the amount of black is more than if I blip it more gently - it is like a puff of black smoke. If I press the accelerator gently to build up the revs then there is no black stuff at all.

Last Saturday I drove to Wiltshire and back, so a lot of fast motorway driving of around 200 miles. Then during this last week I have done five days of a mile to the station in the morning and a mile back in the evening. I read that this is bad for the DPF, and so I took the Audi advice and did a 15 minute each way run up the motorway with the gearbox in Sport mode and with the revs at between 2,500 and 3,000 rpm, to regenerate the DPF.

Having got back home I still see some soot when I blip the throttle to rev the engine, the same as described above. Is it normal to see some soot when you do this?

The other thing to mention is that I have a Chipped UK Fast Road remap loaded. If the soot is normal then that is fine. If I shouldn't see anything black when revving the car then I will remove the map and put the original back and speak to Chipped UK.

Thanks for any advice.

Simon

Bit of advice, dont use your email address as your username, trust me it opens up all kinds of cans, ask admin to amend if you want to.

Sounds like a fuel issue tbh, she's running a tad rich, maybe the map is causing this, maybe map needs tweaking, check this link, has some info & mostly says fuel rich:

http://www.audi-forums.com/general-a4-rs4-s4-discussion/40455-need-some-advice-black-smoke-a4.html

Thanks for the link. I don't see any black smoke during normal driving, even if I boot it in sport mode. Just seems to be if the car is sitting stationary and I blip the throttle, the harder the blip the bigger the initial black cloud. As an example, if I blip to 3,500 rpm quickly and then hold it there I see the black cloud on the initial blip but then it goes and there is nothing more to be seen.

I did ask the admins to change my screen name but they didn't respond. Anyone in particular I should ask?

email a mod, there's 3 I know of on here & ask them to email an admin, FactionOne is an admin, Rob is his name, see if he will reply.

email a mod, there's 3 I know of on here & ask them to email an admin, FactionOne is an admin, Rob is his name, see if he will reply.

Sorry, being a bit dense here. How do I email a mod or admin? Is there a menu item for this?

go into your account by clicking messages top right of this page, then on left is send/new message, in username start typing the username of the person & it has a script that auto shows you any users that have those letters you type, then select FactionOne, sorted.

go into your account by clicking messages top right of this page, then on left is send/new message, in username start typing the username of the person & it has a script that auto shows you any users that have those letters you type, then select FactionOne, sorted.

Thanks, I'll try again. I did actually send FactionOne a message on the 24th Jan to ask for my username to be changed and I didn't get a response. I have just set another PM so hopefully I can get it done soon.

With regard to my earlier response, which was:

"I don't see any black smoke during normal driving, even if I boot it in sport mode. Just seems to be if the car is sitting stationary and I blip the throttle, the harder the blip the bigger the initial black cloud. As an example, if I blip to 3,500 rpm quickly and then hold it there I see the black cloud on the initial blip but then it goes and there is nothing more to be seen."

Does that still sound like running too rich or just that blipping the throttle when not moving like that is a stupid thing to do :banghead:

Thanks for all your help.

You got the black smoke issue too mate - I took mine in to Derby Audi as it smoked bad when you accelerate hard in third (such as joining a motorway from the slip road). The response was its normal..****** Audi!!
Had a Milltek System fitted and it seems to have sorted itself out plus changing from Castrol to Mobil Oil helped.