Newbie 2.0 TFSI worries

slinepej

Reaction score
I am the proud new owner of a 2006 A4 2.0TFSI S-Line, so far its fantastic however;

There are probably posts about this somewhere, but my searches are so far fruitless.

On idle the engine sounds rough and has definate diesel clatter, and when setting off from low revs its sounds very much like a diesel. Coming from the old 1.8t in my old Skoda Octavia VRS, it sounds rough, the skoda was smoother when accelerating from low revs.

Is this an inherant trait of the FSI fuel injection system, I have taken the car to Derby Audi, who say its fine, and taken it to Nottingham Autotechnik (Ex-John fox master technitions - Fantastic garage; solved all sorts of freaky faults with the old skoda!) who say it runs fine, however does run noisily.

Am I being paranoid?, and are there explainations to the TFSI diesel clatter? I drove a new octavia VRS before buying the audi, and was seemingly smoother.

Cheers,

Phil

hi mate i too have the same engine in my a3, its down to it having the same injector layout as the diesel. So eveybody has the same noise as you even the new s3s:icon_thumright:

mine isnt noisy! very smooth running car..

I would have to agree with the comments on the 2.0 tsfi being noisy.Maybe i'm just to super critical too,but my 2008 b7 a4 2.0 tfsi sounds a little bit rattly on tickover. Again maybe being a bit too fusy but it was one of the first thing i noticed when i colected the car from brand new.

I test drove a 2.0T FSI just yesterday. I have to admit, the noise at start engine sounded like a diesel/ very clattery. Honestly it did not sound like a petrol but rather like a "quiet" diesel.

I guess it is just where you put the bar, I am not a great fan of this clattering noise so I notice it right away but it's just a matter of taste!

I test drove a 2.0T FSI just yesterday. I have to admit, the noise at start engine sounded like a diesel/ very clattery. Honestly it did not sound like a petrol but rather like a "quiet" diesel.
That's the effect of FSI - the direct injection of petrol into the cylinder causes the engine to make much the same noise as the direct injection of diesel into the cylinder on a PD/TDI. Makes you wonder what the Mercedes "DiesOtto" engine will sound like?

When I had an A2 FSI as a courtesy car a few years ago I said "it sounds more like a diesel than a petrol" and the Audi technician said "yes, we'll have to get used to petrol engines sounding more like diesels".

I am so envious of the sound of your RS4 !!!:hubbahubba:

sigh....

the 2.0T FSI is no doubt a very good engine. But then again with a stupid sound (No Offence to Diesel Lovers).

Cheers for the help,

Having it looked at, has been in once and they say it is notably louder that other 2.0tfsi's, I started and ran an A3 tfsi they had on the forecourt, and was a lot quieter. They predict it may be a faulty VVT unit, or injectors, is going back in later in the week

Anybody know if these sound like known problems with a relatively high mileage 2.0t ? (60k)

Having done much research seems like the diesel trait is common.....maybe i'm just being a perfectionist and my sound is same as others.

Cheers

... I had an S-Class Merc yesterday... I have not realised that it was a diesel before going to the pump !

Silence was on board...

Been doing a little more reading, and seems as though the 2.0tfsi has cam lobe wear problems. Will get the garage to check the lifters as this seems to identify if this is the problems, would this be indicative of the diesel noise? or if this was the problem would I also notice a drop in performance?

Ta.

They predict it may be a faulty VVT unit, or injectors, is going back in later in the week
If it was the injectors that would be a loud ticking sound, so a VVT problem or cam wear seems more likely. Unless the mileage is very high I would suspect the VVT gear more than anything else...

Did this issue ever get resolved. My a4 tfsi is very diesel like at idol.

Ste

I've had my 2.0T FSI for 3 years now and I've often questioned it. Basically it is normal and there is nothing to worry about.
Enjoy the car, they are superb !. I'm now looking at tuning mine with a STS kit from Shark Performance. It gives you an extra 40 BHP !!!!

I had the same feelings when i got my 2.0T FSI, but i also got told that she was fine! Now coming upto the big 100k with no major problems!

Dont know about you guys but did any of you notice the car opening up a bit after 55k ish. Mine seems to have !!!

Yep its true, a noisy engine as the miles climb. Mine had been serviced by Audi its whole life and is noisy on tick over. Some times the manifold heat shield rattles. Try holding it while the engine is running to see if it makes a difference. Obviously be careful not to burn yourself!