Dunlop SP Sport maxx tyres

landylout

Reaction score
Hi

I have dunlop Sport Maxx tyres fitted to my 2006 s line avant . I am wondereing if these are the correct tyes for the car ,as the the part where the inside tyre wall and the tread meet seems to be wearing out faster . Not too drastict ,but i have twice now been caught out where there is still tread on the outside of the tyre ,but the inside has been showing exposed wire . Is this a tracking or camber problem . The car has covered 26k and i have replaced the tyres again with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 235 40 18 .As these were what the car came with .Has anyone else experienced problems with theses tyres .This has happened to all four tyres .

Thanks

Craig .

Yes the dunlops are factory fit. If the inside edges are worn the tracking is out. The car is toe-out. Car tracking needs adjusting.

I would have thought this if it was only the front tyres doing this ,but the back tyres are the same . Thats why i was thinking about camber or correct offset . The wheels are standard fitment . :think:

Yes the dunlops are factory fit. If the inside edges are worn the tracking is out. The car is toe-out. Car tracking needs adjusting.

The Dunlops aren't always factory fit. Audi will always fit a premium brand but it will depend on the best deal they can get from the manufacturer.

Unless this person is wearing the chords out in less than 10000 miles then it;'s extremely unlikely his tracking is out. B7's have a slightly more aggressive camber than a B5/B6 in order to improve handling. We don't even know how many miles he's done on these tyres in question so I can't work out how we've come to the conclusion his tracking is out :idea:

I have a B7 sline Saloon and I had that problem, I had Dunlop SP Sport maxx tyres as well. Like you, I had no idea the tyres were balding until I lazily parked it with the wheels angled out one day... as I walk past, I noticed there was no tread on the inside of either front tyres! That was at about 26k I think.

I did a like for like tyre change so have the same brand on. I will see how they do and maybe switch to the Goodyear Asymmetricals that were the rave a year ago (or whatever equivalent is around when I next change them). HiQ who swapped my tyres stuck the usual weights on the wheel, so I'll have to wait and see if it makes any difference to the wear.

Google it and I'm sure you'll come accross a great many people who have had the same issues with them, me included.

Those tyres are dangerous IMHO.

Google it and I'm sure you'll come accross a great many people who have had the same issues with them, me included.

Those tyres are dangerous IMHO.

Damn, I thought I did enough research on the tyres before I went for them. What have you got on now just out of intererst and how are they holding up? Part of my decision to get these was because they were the original ones on the car, and they were within my price range.

It does sound like a geometry issue to me, how much difference in tread depth are you talking about across the tyre?

I'd get the car onto a 4 wheel laser alignment system and get a print off of the camber and toe settings on all four wheels and see whats going on.

I've got Michelin Pilot Sport 2's on this car. Very good tyre IMHO.

Lots of people with VAG cars have reported issues with the SporMaxx, it seems to be that they last ok and then very quickly give out on the inner edges.

Thanks for the replies guys,The front tyres were replaced after 18k and rears after 24k .I think i will be looking futher into the laser tracking just to have the car checked out .I bought it about 18 months ago with 12k on it ,and theses tyres were fitted . As was prevoiusly said i to wanted to leave the original spec tyres on ,this is why i went for them again .Can anyone else recomend a more suitable tyre .As reading othere revies off google etc other people are finding this also .The tyre is lasting well up to appox 16k then wearing out very quickly and the inside edge going .When this happened on my rear one i initually thought i had a slow puncture ,as it was a sunday moring i just pumped it up again ,as i was going to get a new one the following day .The outside edge was just a bit worn and maybe just proud of the wear indicators ,but then after closer inspection i pricked my finger on the inside edge ,due to wire showing . This was on a rear wheel .This is a lesson now for me to be more vigilent with these tyres , and i think i will be changing them for another manufacture after 16k .

You don't have a load of those pad speed humps round your way do you?

Where we used to live had loads of them and the wore the insides of the front tyres down to the wire on our VW Lupo second car. I always tried to line up the lump to make it smoother but that wasn't doing the fronts any good. Didn't affect the rears since there wasn't much weight on them.

Didn't have that issue with our Bora and we didn't live there very long with the A4 so not sure if it would have affected it but just a thought.

or perhaps the lupo had something wrong with its front geometry? I cant see driving over some rubberised bumps could wear the tyre significantly more than the thousands of miles its doing on tarmac tbh...

Afaik the tolerances on the suspension of Audis is very wide. Its quite possible for the tracking to be out but still fall within what audi calls normal, and this would result in abnormal tyre wear. Another example of this is engine oil use, most manufacturers, including audi, specify upto 1L every 1000miles is "normal", in reality a good engine will use very little, and i'm sure if your brand new A4's motor was needing a litre top up every 1001 miles you'd be a little ******!

Hence getting a proper INDEPENDANT laser alignment done is advisable.

As for other tyres, i can recommend Goodyear Eagle F1's as being an excellent grippy tyre and pretty keenly priced too. They dont last as long as some of the other tyres around, but this is largely due to the compound used to make them stick like glue, and the fact that they're pretty cheap often makes up for it.

or perhaps the lupo had something wrong with its front geometry? I cant see driving over some rubberised bumps could wear the tyre significantly more than the thousands of miles its doing on tarmac tbh...

It was checked and was within tolerances. After getting new tyres and aware of what the bumps did, I had no problems.

The tyre fitter commented that this type of wear was becoming more common with all the speed humps being built.

Well to add to my comments on these tyres I drove SWMBO's car yesterday for the first time since she had the front tyres changed (Co Car) and guess what, sounds like the wheel bearings have failed so I got out and checked - Dunlop SP SportMaxx!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhh

My first Octavia had both wheel bearings replaced under warranty because of the noise and it was only after that that we realised it was the tyres.

:iagree: with aragorn that a proper 4 wheel geometry check is essential, for one it will eliminate damage from any mistreatment or possibly maladjustment during previous ownership.
Whatever tyres you go for are likely to be expensive so why would you risk ruining another set?