Can I change a Non Multi Function Steering Wheel to a FBMFSW

StagsyA4

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Hope the title makes sense.

Basically, i've got an A4 TDi S-Line (B7 model) but the steering wheel I have is a standard 3 spoke but with no multi-function facility on it.

I want to change to the flat bottom multi-function steering wheel. If I do this, will I be able to use the multi-function facility for volume control etc etc. My concern is that because I don't already have the multi-function will it then work if I fit a steering wheel with multi-function.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

I'm about to do this...... if I ever get the damn wheel (ebay purchase hasn't turned up yet )

From what I understand what you need is dependent on what steering wheel controller you have and slip ring connections. You'll also need VAGCOM to code the controller to tell it about the steering wheel controls.

Edit... looks like you need an airbag to slip ring loom which has the mfsw connectors on as well.

Okey dokey! No problem. Hopefully someone that has done this successfully will be able to give us both some more info! I'll watch this space! Cheers.

You'll also need to re-wire the harness from the steering wheel to the slipring as the A4 is different to the A3/TT (which is where the FBMFSW will be from)

If you already have cruise then you might get lucky and have the correct controller already.

No I don't have cruise. Do you recommend that I get someone who really knows what they are doing to do this?

Well yes I'd talk to mate MattAndrew whose near you & he'll do it for you & I can sort the wheel with him if you need one, he has vagcom & all the tools to do the job, B7's all have the same slip ring & steering module so you'll be fine & also as Isaac says the wires need moving but Matt can do this aswell.

OK that's great! Cheers guys for all the info. I'll be in touch when I have the funds for this mod! Bit skint at the moment with xmas etc.:ohmy:

Right..... retro - fitted my mfsw yesterday. Only took 3 steering wheels (one went missing in the post, next one didn't fit the airbag I bought), an airbag, wiring loom, clock ring and some playing with vagcom.

Total cost was £233... (not including an extra wheel). Only thing left to by is a guide ring to fit between the steering wheel and airbag to stop is wobbling over bumps... which I'll need from Audi as the wheel didn't come with one.

So I now have the following left over to sell;

Old clock ring, old airbag loom, airbag with normal loom (4 spoke type) and 4 spoke wheel.

I also have a 3 spoke mfsw with red stiching that I picked up from a breakers.... for sale.