Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Can I change a Non Multi Function Steering Wheel to a FBMFSW

Hi Guys,

Hope the title makes sense.

Basically, i've got an A4 TDi S-Line (B7 model) but the steering wheel I have is a standard 3 spoke but with no multi-function facility on it.

I want to change to the flat bottom multi-function steering wheel. If I do this, will I be able to use the multi-function facility for volume control etc etc. My concern is that because I don't already have the multi-function will it then work if I fit a steering wheel with multi-function.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers
    StagsyA4
    Audi A4 (B7) 2.0 TDi S-Line (140 bhp), Saloon, Moro Blue Pearl Effect with...
    Black Leather w/ Alcantara | Rear Parking Sensors | BT Handsfree w/ iPhone 4 Dock | RS4 Pedals | RNS-E | Tints
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To come: OEM Xenon's | FB Steering Wheel | Centre Armrest | Bluefin | New RS6 rep's 19"

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I'm about to do this...... if I ever get the damn wheel (ebay purchase hasn't turned up yet )

From what I understand what you need is dependent on what steering wheel controller you have and slip ring connections. You'll also need VAGCOM to code the controller to tell it about the steering wheel controls.

Edit... looks like you need an airbag to slip ring loom which has the mfsw connectors on as well.
    Last edited by auroan; 19th November 2008 at 15:16.
    MY15 8V S3 Sportback with options

Neutral

Status
    Okey dokey! No problem. Hopefully someone that has done this successfully will be able to give us both some more info! I'll watch this space! Cheers.
    StagsyA4
    Black Leather w/ Alcantara | Rear Parking Sensors | BT Handsfree w/ iPhone 4 Dock | RS4 Pedals | RNS-E | Tints
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To come: OEM Xenon's | FB Steering Wheel | Centre Armrest | Bluefin | New RS6 rep's 19"

5th Gear

Status
    You'll also need to re-wire the harness from the steering wheel to the slipring as the A4 is different to the A3/TT (which is where the FBMFSW will be from)

If you already have cruise then you might get lucky and have the correct controller already.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

Neutral

Status
    No I don't have cruise. Do you recommend that I get someone who really knows what they are doing to do this?
    StagsyA4

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Well yes I'd talk to mate MattAndrew whose near you & he'll do it for you & I can sort the wheel with him if you need one, he has vagcom & all the tools to do the job, B7's all have the same slip ring & steering module so you'll be fine & also as Isaac says the wires need moving but Matt can do this aswell.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    OK that's great! Cheers guys for all the info. I'll be in touch when I have the funds for this mod! Bit skint at the moment with xmas etc.
    StagsyA4

6th Gear

Status
    Right..... retro - fitted my mfsw yesterday. Only took 3 steering wheels (one went missing in the post, next one didn't fit the airbag I bought), an airbag, wiring loom, clock ring and some playing with vagcom.

Total cost was 233... (not including an extra wheel). Only thing left to by is a guide ring to fit between the steering wheel and airbag to stop is wobbling over bumps... which I'll need from Audi as the wheel didn't come with one.

So I now have the following left over to sell;

Old clock ring, old airbag loom, airbag with normal loom (4 spoke type) and 4 spoke wheel.

I also have a 3 spoke mfsw with red stiching that I picked up from a breakers.... for sale.
    Last edited by auroan; 24th November 2008 at 15:52.
    MY15 8V S3 Sportback with options