Chris NottAH Fabrications
    Neutral

Status

Brighter Headlamp Bulbs

Has anyone swapped out standard fit headlamp bulbs on an 07 plate for something brighter? Any recommendations on what and where to buy?

2. # ADS
    ADS

cabriolet

Status
    ask richardesky on this thred, hes done the lot on the same model,very polite helpful guy im sure he will sort you out.

I've been busy - chin spoiler and led's.......
    LOTS DONE, LOTS SPENT !!!!

loves quattro

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by IainP View Post
    Has anyone swapped out standard fit headlamp bulbs on an 07 plate for something brighter? Any recommendations on what and where to buy?
    I haven't swapped the actual headlamp bulbs on my B7 as I have Xenon's.

However - if you're thinking of upgrading either your dipped beam or headlight bulb I'd strongly recommend you consider installing a HID Xenon upgrade kit.This is a kit that connects to your existing loom, but replaces your standard halogen bulbs with HID Xenon bulbs.........

However - they're technically illegal because they should be fitted with a self leveling system and headlight washers.

Saying that - I had them on my last car, in both the headlight and dipped beam without either and they passed about 4 MOT's without fail.

If you want the 'safe' route - just replace them with some 'performance' upgrade halogen bulbs, remembering you get what you pay for.

I'd highly recommend PIAA Xtreme white (premium bulbs) or Philips Xtreme Power Bulbs.............just don't buy Halfords!

Rich

Neutral

Status
    Great, thanks both, i'll let you know how I get on!

1st Gear

Status
    I want to do this also.... Let me know how you get on, What parts you get, and where from....

FYI - http://www.harddrive.plus.com/Docume...%20Upgrade.pdf
    Steve

Done: | Ambient Light | 18" Audi RS6 Alloys | Westfalia Detachable Tow Bar & ECU | De-Egg | RNS-E | Bluetooth Kit | RS4 Anti Roll Bar | Audi Torch | Full Rear De-Badge |

To Come: | Audi A6 3.0TDi Le Mans - When I can find the right one!|

Neutral

Status
    Hi,

I bought a set of PIAA H7 Type Chrome Mirror White to use in the A4 but popped them into the wife's Golf instead (easier fit and to see how good they were). So far very impressed, much brighter/clearer light compared to the old lamps and will definitely be doing the same upgrade to main and dipped in the A4.

I got them from http://www.motaman.co.uk as a quck web search showed them to be cheapest. Mega fast next day delivery too despite quoting up to 14 days!

1st Gear

Status
    Tempted to get some as well now.
    XTREME WHITE BULBS
    Philips X-Treme Power H7

I have considered these below but they are not E certified! Is that going to cause a problem?

CHROME MIRROR WHITE BULBS

Is it worth getting both low and high beams swapped with these H7s or just the low beams?
    Report to VOSA:
    www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/onlineservices/vehicledefects.htm

You are covered by the Sale of Goods Act 1979:
    • Goods must "conform to contract", without an error in manufacturing where a faulty component was inserted
    • The seller is responsible for up to six years after purchase

Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fix-th...56033921135623

Reverse Gear

Status
    I found that the Philips Extreme Power, although quite white, gave poorer visibility than Halfords Super Brilliance (which are actually GE Megalight Plus bulbs).

That said I have't tried Osram Night Breakers, which look good.

Neutral

Status
    I put the PIAA Type Chrome Mirror White in the Golf for main and dipped - very impressed so have bought a set for the A4. Hope to get them in this w/e if the kids have stopped throwing up by then!!

1st Gear

Status
    I've just ordered a set of Philips X-Treme Power H7 from Powerbulbs, I also helped myself to a 15% discount code available online through a quick google search.

AutoExpress article

Tempted to video a before and after run down the same route to compare...

Report to VOSA:

• Goods must "conform to contract", without an error in manufacturing where a faulty component was inserted

Facebook:

1st Gear

Status

what are these like

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beerglass View Post

"It outputs an HID-like color tone & attracts a lot of attention at shows because of its 'mysterious deep ocean' feel."

Fookin' hell, how pretentious is that?!
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

3rd Gear

Status
    I was thinking of installing a HID kit, but i don't have projector headlights, so would the light get scattered everywhere and blind the oncoming cars? Is there any aftermarket projector lensed headlights for the B7 or is it just the audi xenons, cos they're pretty rare and probably expensive!

loves quattro

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhat View Post
    I was thinking of installing a HID kit, but i don't have projector headlights, so would the light get scattered everywhere and blind the oncoming cars? Is there any aftermarket projector lensed headlights for the B7 or is it just the audi xenons, cos they're pretty rare and probably expensive!
    DEPO do an aftermarket projector lensed headlight for the B7.....
    http://www.streetwerke.com/xcart/pro...cat=761&page=1 Not sure if you can get it through a uk supplier, but I know that www.sel-imperial.co.uk do depo products.

As for the HID kit into a standard lens - technically it's illegal as you should have washer jets and a self leveling system in there.........

However - we have a set in my partner's Clio and they give stunning output, and when correctly adjusted don't blind on coming drivers, and have passed an MOT without a problem.

Rich

1st Gear

Status
    I'd assume they would still be illegal even if you got the correct headlights because the vehicle should be fitted with headlight washers and auto levelers too.

That's why I just went for brighter bulbs, the total cost of doing the HID conversion correctly was a bit too much.
    Report to VOSA:

Facebook:

3rd Gear

Status
    Ah i know they are illegal without washers and levelers but over here they wouldn't notice. I just wanted some projectors to help woth the beam cut off. yeah i saw the depo ones before but i presume they are set up for left hand drive and i was wondeing if there was anything for rhd, other that oem but i'll keep an eye out on ebay for some. and leave and bother with putting some into the normal lenses.

Thanks for the quick replys lads

1st Gear

Status
    Ooh the bulbs are waiting at the post office! Can't wait for tomorrow (which is in a minute)
    Report to VOSA:

Facebook:

Neutral

Status
    I've finaly fitted the PIAA Type Chrome Mirror White - very impressed.

Neutral

Status
    Ordered the below yesterday, hoping they arrive today

1 x PIAA H7 Type Chrome Mirror White 55.99
    1 x PIAA W5W Chrome Mirror White Sidelight Bulbs 19.99
    Sub Total 75.98
    Shipping Amount 0.00
    Total 75.98
    Last edited by btcc2000; 21st January 2009 at 07:58.

Dude, what's mine say ?

Status
    I too ordered the Philips X-Treme Power H7 from Powerbulbs last week with the 15% discount code. Also got a set of Philips Blue vision side light bulbs free of charge.

I am pleased with both of these.... My sidelights are 100% better without a doubt as when I took my old ones out they had gone black at the ends. As for the dipped beam ones, I can notice they are better than my old ones for sure but there not 80% brighter as the description/product suggested they would be!

Like you say you get what you pay for! The reason I didn't go down the HID route was that I didn't want any bulb failure warning errors on the dash and the only kit I found which guaranteed not to give you that was 190 but I have since found one for 75 so I may well get that in the end now anyway.

So if any more of you are thinking about doing this and you have the projector headlights spend the extra 50 and get the HID's.
    Audi A4 1.8T Sport Cabriolet-Full black leather(Electric & heated),RNS-E,BOSE, OEM Bluetooth,RS4 Mirrors,RS4 FBMFSW,RS4 Pedals,RS4 RARB,Cruise Control,B7 Rear Lights,Ally Inlays,18" RS6 Alloys,HID's/Auto lights with dimming rear view mirror,Coming home lights,Ambient light pack & Rear parking sensors.

For all your VAG OEM PARTS send me a PM or e-mail me at vagoemparts@ymail.com

loves quattro

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by IainP View Post
    I've finaly fitted the PIAA Type Chrome Mirror White - very impressed.
    Any pics?

I may try these in my fogs

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmspeedy View Post

Like you say you get what you pay for! The reason I didn't go down the HID route was that I didn't want any bulb failure warning errors on the dash and the only kit I found which guaranteed not to give you that was 190 but I have since found one for 75 so I may well get that in the end now anyway.

which kit is that?
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

Dude, what's mine say ?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by razza1 View Post
    which kit is that?
    HIDS-DIRECT Ultra HID xenon converison kit
    Audi A3 & A4 kit 74.99 inc VAT
    http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-products.html
    Audi A4 1.8T Sport Cabriolet-Full black leather(Electric & heated),RNS-E,BOSE, OEM Bluetooth,RS4 Mirrors,RS4 FBMFSW,RS4 Pedals,RS4 RARB,Cruise Control,B7 Rear Lights,Ally Inlays,18" RS6 Alloys,HID's/Auto lights with dimming rear view mirror,Coming home lights,Ambient light pack & Rear parking sensors.

For all your VAG OEM PARTS send me a PM or e-mail me at vagoemparts@ymail.com

4th Gear

Status
    I already have Xenons as standard in my B6....but would love to change the main beam bulbs to something a little brighter - to get my own back on the twats who insist on driving with their badly adjusted foglamps on - in particular large 4x4's and anything french
    Last edited by JohnboyC; 21st January 2009 at 21:25.
    Monza Silver A4 2.0TDi S-Line Avant Quattro (170) - Heated Alcantara Leather, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Folding Door Miirrors, Electric Tailgate, Privacy Glass, etc

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    I bought some of these for mine:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A4-from00-H7-Xenon-Car-Light-Bulbs-Lamp-100W_W0QQitemZ140294426759QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item140294426759 &_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12 |39:1|240:1318

Obviously they are 100w and I have considered both the legal and wiring inplications. But they match the 6000k HID's perfectly and are pretty bright.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

4th Gear

Status
    OK..to change the Main Beam bulbs from 55W (I am assuming they are 55W) to 100W will hav ethe following effect :
    12V @ 55W = 4.6 Amps
    12V @ 100W = 8.3333 Amps

With a 10A fuse you have 54% headroom....but only 17% headroom with the 100W bulbs, so the wiring will get warmer as will the fuse.....

Question is can you get 75W bulbs ?
    Monza Silver A4 2.0TDi S-Line Avant Quattro (170) - Heated Alcantara Leather, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Folding Door Miirrors, Electric Tailgate, Privacy Glass, etc

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Johnboy: the car runs at somewhere around 14.1v with the engine on (thats the optimal charging voltage for a 6 cell lead acid battery)

Also, re: the mentions of depo lamps above, steer clear. The projectors they use are awful, and give a horrendous beam pattern. If you want to upgrade to projectors then keep your eyes on ebay and find a set from another B7.

I'm quite surprised the cooking spec B7's didnt have projectors tbh, especially as the B6 had them as standard as did 99> model B5's

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by btcc2000 View Post
    Ordered the below yesterday, hoping they arrive today

1 x PIAA H7 Type Chrome Mirror White 55.99
    1 x PIAA W5W Chrome Mirror White Sidelight Bulbs 19.99
    Sub Total 75.98
    Shipping Amount 0.00
    Total 75.98
    Fitted mine yesterday and christ what a difference. I had read that to do it you need to remove the bumper to get the light units out - what a load of tosh!! Also de-badged it which looks great. Now for the re-map...