Badger5EM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

Vibration at idle, flywheel?

Hi folks, ive had my a4 1.9tdi for a few weeks now and although the mileage is high (130k) the car is lovely. However a couple of days ago i noticed the car has been vibrating at idle mainly through the clutch pedal. When the revs rise and the car is driven the vibration goes away.

My mechanic had a quick look and thought it was probably the dual mass flywheel on its way out, does this sound right?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Yes it does on past experience.

An easy way to tell is, press the clutch pedal to the floor, and if the vibration goes off, it'll be the fly wheel.
    Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi (140) S Line, Brilliant Red, 18 inch RS4 Alloy's, PCD etc etc Mint!!!

4th Gear

Status
    Could also be an engine mount. One of the mounts has an internal damper that is soft below 1100rpm and then stiffens up above that. If the valve is stuck in the stiff position you'll feel more vibration at idle.

Only way to tell is to get the fault codes scanned as it will come up if the mount is faulty.

Dave

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thank you for the feedback guys. Just another ques, how would the diagnostics tell if the mount is faulty?

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmickid View Post
    Thank you for the feedback guys. Just another ques, how would the diagnostics tell if the mount is faulty?
    Because the stiffness of the mount is controlled by the ECU. So if it's not working properly it should flag up as a fault.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    Because the stiffness of the mount is controlled by the ECU. So if it's not working properly it should flag up as a fault.
    Ok thanks mate. Its more of a rumble through the clutch pedal and gearstick, almost like a clutch bearing. When i depress the clutch pedal fully it isnt as pronounced.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    IS there a way of reading fault codes without a diag. machine?