tdi140 engine stutter

smithysmith

Reaction score
Car is a 55plate sline avant with 24000miles, the problem usually occurs at motorway cruising speed when the engine is fully warmed up, it is a very subtle stuttering type vibration, initially i thought it was wheel balancing but this has been checked twice and is spot on, it feels more like its the engine itself, usually feels a bit worse going up hill (more engine load).

Any ideas:uhm:

I am not speaking from any experience, but could it be an engine mount?

i initially thought that too, it does seem probable, but it only does it when the engine is up to temp

Do you get the stutter around 2000rpm and usually (as you say when warm) in 2nd and 3rd gears?
Mine did this especially when accelerating more gently but only as it passed the 2k rev mark, it went away when it had a service at 41,000 miles, I thought it was the fuel filter as this was cleaned at the same time.
Have you tried cleaning/replacing?

Just a thought...

It is around 2000 rpm, but doesnt seem to manifest itself in lower gears, a friend suggested clogged egr, but it may be speed related after all, not rpm, which leads me down the wheel balancing route again, but as im sure they are good whats next, perhaps suspension bushes, wheel bearings? are there any common front end issues with this model.

Maybe its egr system then, i was suspected that this caused the idle shaking on my previous b7, my friend reckons its common, i may just remove the whole system, cooler and all. Wish i had never sold my BMW really :(