how smokey is your 2.0 tdi?

M7R

Type Approval Engineer,
Reaction score
Website
www.dubclique.com
when I boot it on the motorway to over take things my 140 tdi seems vveeryy smokey some times, its not remapped - yet - and I know its due a service soon (ive cleaned the air box out as its full and have removed some of the loose crap from the filter too, but i have a KN coming next week anyway - but i know that filters have to be extemely full to effect the peformance plus shouldnt the maf balance the fuel delively with the air flow?

Ive dumped a load of redex cleaner in the tank and its made a bit of a improvement, but im still a bit hacked off the shiney tale pipes are back again in a week - done about 400 miles - and the back of the car is ditched again!

any views?

Be careful using a K&N as they've been known to ****** up the MAF. Possibly only an issue if they're over oiled but just thought you should know.

No idea on the smoke. our 1.9 130 can be a bit smokey when booting through the gears but overtaking at motorway speeds doesn't seem to produce any smoke.

Mine is super-chipped and no smoke visible when booting it on the motorway, The tailpipes are always going black within a few weeks of cleaning them though - not much can be done about that.

Be careful using a K&N as they've been known to ****** up the MAF. Possibly only an issue if they're over oiled but just thought you should know.

No idea on the smoke. our 1.9 130 can be a bit smokey when booting through the gears but overtaking at motorway speeds doesn't seem to produce any smoke.

Ive read about that, the prob seems to be when people re-oil them and go over the top. my old 1.9 was ok, so ill see how it goes. i may have a 2.0 maff kicking around anyways.

when I boot it on the motorway to over take things my 140 tdi seems vveeryy smokey some times, its not remapped - yet - and I know its due a service soon (ive cleaned the air box out as its full and have removed some of the loose crap from the filter too, but i have a KN coming next week anyway - but i know that filters have to be extemely full to effect the peformance plus shouldnt the maf balance the fuel delively with the air flow?

Ive dumped a load of redex cleaner in the tank and its made a bit of a improvement, but im still a bit hacked off the shiney tale pipes are back again in a week - done about 400 miles - and the back of the car is ditched again!

any views?

I'm glad mine isnt the only TDi to smoke like this, Audi (Derby then Chesterfield) have had the car and the report back was most A4 TDi's smoke like that, sorry it's the design of the engine...bit hard to believe and swallow but hey ho, Audi (dont) know there vehicles.
I try the Miller Sport4 Diesel additive now and again and this too helps short term.
Bit of a ****** about the exhaust tips, I guess we will have to keep polishing regularly

after a few hundred miles of running redex at double strength mine appears to be getting better, so im going to dump some more in and will see what happens. (fitting the KN didnt make any change to the smoking..just for referance)

I'd disagree with that. Audi dealers have some HUGE gaps in their knowledge about Audi cars. Audi themselves know their cars inside out.
No disrespect but I dont...simple reason, popped into Derby Audi with brake warning going off. Answer from them, "nothing wrong with the car, you will have to live with the fault". Chesterfield Audi "theres a problem with your car sir, Audi did a recall on your fault, we will fix it while you have your car serviced, its a known fault on the A4's".
The only reason Audi themselves know there cars inside out is coz they built the f**kin things, dealers however & a main dealer at that (Chessie Audi is an approved franchie) SHOULD be able to fix it.
If anyone uses Chesterfield Audi, the service is excellent however, dont use Derby Audi unless, a, you want at least a three week wait or have a huge wad of cash and wear a flash suit :sign_unfair: