Car Covers

gjwell

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I ‘m after some advice.

I drive about 100 miles round trip to work every day, I bought my Cab in February and have already racked up 11K miles. I know you are only eligible for the third year warrantee if the car has done under 40K by the end of the 2nd year. So it seems pointless running my car to work and back over the winter months when there is very little chance of getting the roof down :unsure:

So I am going to get a run around towards the end of the year (hopefully a cheap diesel).

So my question is what’s the best thing to do with the cab. I was thinking of buying a good cover, but I gather that these are prone to scratching paint work? Any advice?

I guess the other option would be to use it one day a week and use a run-around the rest of the time. That way I would keep the battery toped up and the brakes from rusting.

1 word, NO.
I had a custom made kimberly clark car cover from the states imported and it was excellent to start with but then became a pain in the ****.
You need to make sure the car is spotless before you put the cover on or any grit on the body will be ground into the paint by the wind acting on the cover.

carcover001no0.jpg
carcover005yo1.jpg

Thanks, I thought that might be the case. I had heard that you could buy expensive covers with a soft padded lining to stop scratching, but I imagine you would still get scratches. I guess it’s best to keep it waxed well and leave it exposed to the elements. I don’t think the wife will ever come around to the idea of parking into in the lounge. :sob:

The one in the pictures about was 230 quid and it was nowhere near the most expensive.

Much better to use it 1 day a week as you say and just keep it clean.

No matter how clean the car is you'll always get scratches.

I know you are only eligible for the third year warrantee if the car has done under 40K by the end of the 2nd year.

Who told you that? Audi warranty is 3 years or 60k miles, whichever comes first, theres no stipulation whatsoever other than that.

I was told if you have done under 40K at the end of Y2 you get Y3 free by the sales man when I bought the car. Is this not the case?

Its 3 years or 60,000 miles, but you can pay to extend it to 5 years