2.0TDi 170 Quattro Avant - worst audi ever?

Keef

Reaction score
After doing nearly 6.5k miles I’m still just about getting an average of 36mpg (450 miles) on a full tank of diesel.
I originally express my concerns over the economy and lack of power in the first two weeks of having the car!
It would seem that the combined MPG figure quoted for the 2.0TDi 170 Quattro Avant is a misprint in the sale brochure
and apparently Audi have now acknowledged this! But even based on the salon figure I never achieve anyway near this!
Car has been at the dealership since Monday undergoing tests – they said there’s nothing wrong with the car and they got 39.3mpg over a 100miles.
(Wasn’t thrilled bout the 100 miles on the clock or some punk driving round in my car but got a full tank of diesel out of it so can’t really complain)
Just spoke to the sales rep who sold me the car and basically the dealership have said the cars fine and if I’m not happy to take it up with
Audi customer services, just got of the phone to them!
I’m really F**ked off with the dealership as they seem to have taken a step back, as far as I’m concerned I bought the car off them and they should take this up with customer services on my behalf!

Just waiting for customer services to come back to me now!

Any one else having similar problems like this??

Keef

36mpg out of a quattro tdi sounds about right to me, i use to get 40mpg out of my FR TDI 150.
Try BP ultimate diesel, i used to get 100 miles more out of a tank

i used to see around 500 miles from a tank on that stuff. i think the tank was 55 liters or so from the red light.

However i might **** you off now as im getting up to 450miles per tank out of my Petrol quattro.
A diesel will improve with mileage as i wears in. a Diesel is always very tight for the first 5k or so

I have to say 36mpg is not hideous from a 170hp quattro car, what sort of driving do you do and are you heavy footed?

Thanks for the replies chaps

Sounds like I’m been unrealistic with my expectation of this car then.

Wouldn’t say i was heavy footed (but I’m sure my old S4 would disagree!)
Drive from Stratford upon Avon to South Birmingham and back every day
(bout 50 miles) mix of A roads, country lanes and bit of M42!

The mpg has improved with more miles but would have hoped for 40ish mpg!
Also performance isn’t great – should’ve kept the S4!!

What fuel are you using (ie brand and then type) for example Shell Extra, tesco city diesel?

Whilst my 170 (2wd) was service yesterday I had a 170 Quattro Avant. Without a doubt the Quattro is more thirsty by quite a margin (it had only done 500 miles) I am sure yours will improve as it loosens up. I can get high 50s and even low 60s mpg after 21000miles, when new could only get high 40s.

As an aside, I was impressed at how much more sure footed the Quattro was compared to my car.

I only got 32mpg from a 170Q Avant that I had on loan. However we typically only get 40mpg from our FWD 130 saloon due to the type of driving we do so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Well my B6 2.5 TDi Quattro Sport Avant (6 speed) is doing around 35mpg round towns and 40 to 41 mpg on a run....I was contemplating buying the 2.0 TDi Quatto S-Line Avant for my next car.....sort of surprised at the mpg your getting Macduff.....think I will keep my V6 as I reckon its a better engine in terms of torque than the 2.0 anyways...

My advice would be to see the Dealer principle!

I see on average about 500 miles from a tank in a re-mapped 2wd 140TDi. It's driven spiritedly on most ocassions but was also suprised at how un-effcient they are. I used to get 350 miles a tank out of my re-mapped Leon Cupra R driven in the same manor. With the cost of fuel right now, I could probably put another 150 miles worth in the Leon for the same money as the tank of diesel.

Did that make sense as i almost confused myself!!

I regularly get 40mpg in our A5 3.0 TDI quattro, all motorway driving and the engine's only got 3400 miles on it at the moment. In town I can still manage 30-35mpg, but this is without screwing it as the engine still needs to be run in.

I now realise my post was not at all useful, but I've typed it up now so I'll be damned if I'm deleting it.

Should have kept the S4 matey, lovely V8 in that!

Its usefull to me if I get the 3.0 TDi :) I get less than 40 out of my A3 TDi 140 s tronic its just been mapped so i'll see what effect that has, also if yours is like mine ignore dis, its hopeless, mine quotes an average of 44 !

Thank god i didnt opt for the 170 A4 !!!:ohmy:

Ive just ordered a 2.0 Tdi 140. What kind of Mpg can i expect?

I was under the impression that an engine remap would both increase power and improve fuel economy - based upon the earlier post, i take it thats incorrect?

I get between 37 and 40 mpg from my 170 Quattro - very much dependent on how I drive it......

I too was disapointed, but the rest of the car more than makes up for it. :yum:

I have the 170 avant tdi quattro, and i get around 450 - 550 miles to a tank. Remember the quattro has a smaller tank to accomodate the rear diff so in reality the 4wd is not as uneconomical as many think. At the end of the day i reckon the performance is comparable to my 1.8T golf gti i had a few years ago and considering the car is twice the size i get double the miles to the gallon! I would never go back now. I like performance cars but am no millionaire so a performance diesel is a good compromise. Sure if u want economy a renault laguna or other hellish car will always beat the pants of any VAG but there is more to it than that. I love my Audi and i love the quattro the diesel is hellish compared to a good petrol but once you are used to it its just as fun in real life situations. I'd love to try the 3.0 tdi and see how it was? :redrs4:

Also performance isn’t great – should’ve kept the S4!!

Well coming from a 4.2 V8 to anywhere near a 2.0TDI is a kinda silly to think about performance, no disrespect, I mean I had the S4 B6 Avant & I have a 2.0TDI 140 remapped & of course there's no contest, but as for fuel economy, 16-20mpg where as 36ish to 50, double or more at times, speaks for itself

It is also an avant so isnt it heavier??

For me the mpg is normal

I've just bought a 2wd B7 A4 Avant TDi 170.
I am too disappointed with the mpg figures. Around town is 35ish mpg which is as quoted in the book, but on a run I'm only getting 38-39mpg. This is in comparison to my 2001 Golf GTi 1.8T(with 86K on the clock) which returned up to 45 mpg on a long run.
I've been into Audi, who have checked the car and state there's nothing wrong with either the fuel computer or engine. Very disappointed, wish I'd bought petrol.
I'd be interested to hear from anyone with similar mpg figures, or even better a solution!!

I also have the 2.0 TDi Avant 170 S-Line Special Edition, fuel consumption about 36 mpg but what was quite shocked that I had to replace both front tyres at 9K, complained to Audi but was told this is quite normal, decided to buy Mitchelin's instead of Continentals to see if tyre wear improves. Currently have an issue with heavy steering at slow speeds car been into Audi, steering rack has been replaced but steering does not seem to have improved - happy days!