One for the A4 TDi (140PS) guys

MorkC68

Stationary
Reaction score
Just a quick question/confirmation on my thoughts on a problem with dark grey/black smoke under acceleration.
Its a 140 TDi (55 plate 38K miles, no mods done) Avant which leaves a smoke trail when accelerating hard (usually when joining motorways and dual carriageways). Derby Audi very informativley told me "they all do it so its not a problem".
Searching round, some of you guys suggest the egr valve may be sticking or the solenoid has stuck. Alternatively a hose is leaking due to a split.
Does anyone else suffer the same problem and what have you done to rectify?

Thanks in advance

Maybe it just needs a good thrash to blow some of the soot of the exhaust system?

My superchipped 2.0 TDI doesnt leave a smoke trail that is visible in the rear view mirror. When I have followed my car with someone else driving it a very small amount of black smoke can be seen when accelerating hard upto motorway speeds.

It does get a good thrashing every other weekend down the M1, across A50, up M6 and across to Chester on the M56 (two round trips).
The smoke very visible but not under steady acceleration - I'll investigate further.
How does the Superchip fair, I'm gonna have mine done, got all the info off Superchips - how does yours go like?
Cheers for the reply

Its goes OK. I could never describe it as a rocketship but its an improvement over the standard car.

Some people claim its a total transformation (not me!), I've had much faster cars in the past so I guess I'm used to more power. Its much better when overtaking and on the motorway though.

you might find it depends on the fuel, My Leon TDI 150PS used to smoke more on some fuels than others. At 40k it should be due a good service, include diesel filters etc. Run it on some BP ultimate Diesel for a few tank loads and you should see it clean up. You should also see and increase on MPG for your money with the BP ultimate. Above all stay clear of Low Sulpher Diesel especially supermarket fuels.

However if you are doing less than 20-30miles in a trip on a regular run then you shouldn't really be running a TDI as they don't really get hot enough to burn of the soot. You can end up with over boost issues as the turbo viens start to stick.

I'll have to try the BP Ultimate - I normally use Total Excellium which is good diesel - I do get better mpg when using this. Wont touch supermarket with a bargepole now a days.

As far as service, its on the 20K interval (first at 15K, 2nd at 30K) but I plan on giving it a service at the 40K as a matter of course (I'm not keen on 20K intervals after seeing the oil colours and odours after draining).
Journeywise it gets a 40 mile round trip each day plus 2 x 240 mile runs alternate weekends down two motorways.