Worn Alcantatra trim on Spec ED.2.0T Q

neilmc

A4 quattro
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone with an a4 special edition with the part alcantara steering wheel and gear knob is having any wear issue.Is this a known fault,because after only a few months my gear knob started to wear and is now black and shiny,no material left at all and the steering wheel is going the same way.The car has only done 7000 miles and is valeted weekly.JHas anyone else had a problem? the dealer is looking at some pics I emailed them in the next few days,but would like to be forewarned if someone else has claimed under warranty.Many thanks.

Erm, I kind of expected the pile to wear off on mine, but after 5Kmiles ish they seem to be holding up well, maybe not quite as furry as the handbrake still is, certainly not black and shiny????? You say you have it valeted each week, have you checked the guy out for tins of kiwi?

I've got the same thing happening - gear knob after 6000 is getting shinny but I sort of expected it to be honest

YES I EXPECTED IT TO WEAR AS WELL,BUT HAD IT BEEN LEATHER AS PER PREVIOUS SPECIAL EDITIONS,THIS WOULD NOT LOOK ANYWHERE NEAR AS BAD.WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS HAS ANYONE TRIED TO CLAIM UNDER WARRANTY,AS ANYTHING THAT LASTS FOR AN UNREASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME IS UNFIT FOR ITS PURPOSE,IF EVERYONE JUST PUTS UP WITH IT THEY WILL NEVER KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM.WITH REGARDS TO THE VALETER,HE IS A LISCENSED ZYMOL DETAILER,VERY HIGHLY TRAINED AND HAS THE COMMON SENSE NOT TO CLEAN ALCANTARA,IT IS PRETTY OBVIOUS ANY ATTEMPT TO CLEAN IT WOULD RUIN IT ANYWAY,SO NO HE HAS NOT BEEN NEAR IT WITH THE KIWI!!:rolleyes:

THERE'S NO NEED TO SHOUT!
I agree that something that is not fit for purpose should be replaced as a warranty issue.
My controls are obviously not in the same condition as yours so I have not done anything about it yet, if like you say they go an unsightly black then I will be returning with it. Can you post or email me the pictures?
What does your valeter think, if he has so much experience then he's bound to have some advice.
Also maybe ask in the other models forums on here. Maybe a higher volume model like the A3 would have more incidencies of this wear.
The dealer may try to put this down to reasonable wear and tear, don't wear it!!

Also, when you buy suede shoes the girls always try to sell you the wee wire brush for fluffing it up and returning your shoes to the original finish. Maybe worth a try?

Please let us know how this one pans out.

Obviously the kiwi comment wasn't a serious suggestion or appreciated. Appologies!

Let us know how you get on with it, so far its only my gear knob but 3 other guys in work have the same car and the all their suede is like this (it actually dosent look too bad once its all changed).

Sorry forgot the caps lock was on again! We have actually tried to clean the material with some all purpose cleaner,but to no avail,and he and I just think it is owrn rather than dirty.Will post up what the dealer says in a few days.Ideally they will replace it with the all leather one and same with the wheel,as it will only happen again.Had the same problem with a Lancia integrale years ago,but as it was a Lancia I was just grateful it did not fall apart! Will update when i have some news.Thanks again and no offence taken,it is nice to have some help from from everyone.

Just noticed mine doing it too @ 12k 'ish - never gave it much thought, will be interested to see how you get on.:icon_thumright:

I have done 16k in my spec ed with alcantra goodies and to date nothing has worn off - I would chuck it back in an instant - we pay enough for these cars!!!

Mines worn too.

Question I'd like answered is how easy is it to replace? I always assumed the head was removable?