New A4 review in Auto Express

mfspen

Reaction score
They rate it above its rivals :

"THIS test was very closely fought. All three German saloons are great compact executive cars, while the Mondeo was far from disgraced. But the Ford is at its best in more affordable trims, and despite its superb chassis and unrivalled practicality, its engine failed to shine and it has weak residuals. This leads to the highest running costs. It finishes fourth – yet can hold its head high.

Next up is the C-Class. Its air of refinement means it will be a top choice for many, but it’s pricey, and material quality continues to lag behind Audi’s and BMW’s. The 3-Series remains a fierce competitor. Its excellent chassis, brilliant engine and Efficient Dynamics package make it the top choice for keen drivers.

However, it’s no longer our class leader. The new A4 is a revelation – it’s great to drive as well as being refined, desirable, practical, beautifully built and well priced. Audi’s UK sales graph looks set to continue climbing for a while yet."

I have just read the same article and was shocked to see the A4 come top, I was expecting the 3 series to win (again), seems like Audi is going from strength to strength :)

Other magazines dont say its much of an improvement over the old one.

It'd still be between the A4 and Merc for me though.

Matt said:
Other magazines dont say its much of an improvement over the old one.

It'd still be between the A4 and Merc for me though.
Yes, I don't think I could put up with the ugliness of the 3 Series.

This month's What Car (I think) puts the A4 third, with the C-class second and 3-series still "light years ahead" (their words).
They summed up the A4 as 'not significantly better than the current model'.
A shame, because I wanted to like it.
I wanted them to say "wow, this is easily as good as the 3-series"
Coz I may have ordered one, with the B+O stereo option.:rockwoot:
The lukewarm reception put me clean off.
I had an A4 3 years ago, for 3 years.
If they say the new one is barely any better, ordering one would be a retrograde step.:no:

When I read the reviews especially a new model such as the B8 I look to see if its LHD or RHD because they don't necessarily have the same setup such as the suspensions. LHD were not designed for our roads yet (too common) they compare them with RHD UK rivals.

I remember just as the 2nd gen. S3 was launched almost every magazine slated it but when people took it out for a test drive they loved it! What counts at the end of the day is what the public think once they've taken the car for a test drive.