Moving to an Audi from a Subaru

ric355

Reaction score
Hello to all. First post and would like some opinions please :).

I'm currently driving an '03 Impreza turbo with a Prodrive pack. I've been using it to tow a car trailer for a short while and although it pulls ok once it has got going, I don't really think it's the best car for this kind of work. It takes a bit of effort to get it off the line being that the turbo doesn't kick in until around 3,000rpm. It's also a saloon so isn't quite as practical as it could be.

So I'm looking at various other stuff and fairly high up my list is a 3.0 TDi A4 Avant (I'm buying used). The torque curve looks pretty good for towing and with a remap I'm thinking it'll maybe get close enough to the performance of the impreza such that I don't miss it too much. As this is going to be my daily driver I'm trying to establish whether I'll get along with it or not given what I'm used to. I haven't driven one yet but have been to look at a couple and I rather like the styling - sort of surprised myself a bit tbh.

Has anyone ever moved from a turbo-nutter car like mine to an Avant 3.0TDi or something similar? If so, how was it? With the Audi being a bigger car I know it won't be quite as chuckable as the Impreza but I guess I'm going to have to live with that if I want something more suitable for towing.

I notice there are two engines - the earlier 201bhp and the later 229bhp. It looks like after a remap they can both deliver similar output (using superchips info, which I know is subjective). Is it worth holding out for the 229bhp version or given that I'm going to have it mapped, should I just not bother about that?

What's the feeling on leather versus alcantara with respect to resale? Spotted a rather nice looking one with alcantara which I rather like but I wondered if it is generally disliked.

What is the depreciation like on the bigger engined cars? I always expect to take a hit on a car but just like to know what I'm getting into.

Any pearls of wisdom around all this stuff most appreciated. :salute:

Ric.

If I was you, I'd look for the S-Line version, which is slightly lower (by 20mm) comes with uprated springs/dampers and different front bumper lip and side mouldings (among other bits).
Mine is the 140 2.0 TDi S-Line, handling is excellent, economy very good and for a big car, its very nippy (for me anyway).
I came from a VW Golf GT170 - very nice car but too pokey for my liking, I always have thumping headaches after driving it...glad I swapped for the Audi!
Some of the guys on here have chipped versions, I'm sure someone will be along to advise on performance etc.

Happy hunting!

Hi Mate

I had an 04 WRX STI I now drive a 2.0T S line special edition (220PS) and off the line in the dry this car is more responsive than the Scooby. There is no waiting for the turbo spooling up and no bogging down when pulling onto a roundabout (an annoying trait of non prodrive Impreza's:blush: ). Well after nearly 2 years in my A4 I don't miss the STI at all. In fact I absolutely love this car, it has the looks and the everyday performance I need. This model has the servotronic steering system from the S4 so its super quick. It also has drilled front discs off the S4, all this came as standard. Mid range performance is similar to a bugeye WRX prodrive I used to own but this car does not run out of breath at the top end of the rev range it just pulls like a train. The biggest improvement over Subaru WRX's is the distinct lack of turbo lag and superb build and fit and finish. You won't regret your switch!

I moved from a standard Impreza Turbo, which I then modified, to a MKV 2.0 TDI GT Golf, then moved on to the A6 V6

I do miss the performance of the Impreza, however, the build quality of the VW/Audi is far superior, the Audi in particular is a far more relaxed ride, the impreza probably bought out the worst in me !

I still miss it for the odd balls out thrash, but, 99.9% of the time, I dont

Please let us know if you do move on to an Audi

Thanks for the replies folks.

I know what you mean about a Subaru bringing out the worst in you at times. It does that to me too!

I definitely need to avoid waiting for the turbo to spool up as that is exactly the problem I've got now with the trailer+car on the back. Using the superchips torque & power curves, the impreza generates maybe 30bhp and 115Nm at 1500rpm, wherease the 3.0 A4 Tdi is roughly the same bhp but has a whopping 220Nm at the same revs, and only gets better from then on.

S-line is definitely on the shopping list. I went to see one the other day and will be going back to test drive it later this week.

My other alternative is a 3 series touring 330d - the torque curve is even more impressive than the A4 - but I don't think I'm a 3 series guy somehow and the styling leaves me a little cold anyway.

Will keep you all updated.

Ric.

I have had cossie etc in the past and I currently drive an A4 3.0 tdi quattro s-line and in one word its Awesome!!!

I am not really a fast driver but it handles ok, acceleration in 4th and 5th is mind blowing. I recently had a play with my m8 in his civic type r and there was nothing in it really. The audiwould pull slightly if i caught him out of v-tec.

Unfortunately i may have to sell mine due to a change in job but hay ho nothing is deffo yet. If you in South Wales your welcome to have a go in mine!!!

Smudge

Well, took one for a test drive this evening and I was very impressed. It felt a little front heavy compared to the Impreza and I think I must have had the seat too far forward because the brake pedal seemed a bit high, but neither of those things are really issues.

Performance wise I was very impressed, and it was certainly a very nice place to be (it was dark when I drove it and the orange/red dash setup was rather nice). We were in rush hour traffic so handling was hard to measure but I reckon I would be happy driving it. Seemed solidly built - as expected - so good all round really.

It's got a lot of options and seems like a very good car. There aren't many around to compare it with which is unfortunate, because I generally prefer to look at several cars before taking the plunge.

Looks like I'm going to buy one. Just a case of which physical car really:rockwoot:

Ric, try a 2.0T FSI special edition quattro, you will be surprised at at the amount of low down torque and response. It also revs hard to the red line unlike a narrow power band diesel!

Figures from Audi Driver magazine:

0-60 = 6.7
30-50 in 3rd = 3.5
30-50 in 4th = 5.2
50 -70 in 3rd = 4.0
50 - 70 in 4th = 5.4
50 - 70 in 5th = 6.3
50 - 70 in 6th = 8.1

Max speed 152mph

A very flexible engine in the real world!:icon_thumright:

YorkieA4 said:
Ric, try a 2.0T FSI special edition quattro, you will be surprised at at the amount of low down torque and response. It also revs hard to the red line unlike a narrow power band diesel!

Figures from Audi Driver magazine:

0-60 = 6.7
30-50 in 3rd = 3.5
30-50 in 4th = 5.2
50 -70 in 3rd = 4.0
50 - 70 in 4th = 5.4
50 - 70 in 5th = 6.3
50 - 70 in 6th = 8.1

Max speed 152mph

A very flexible engine in the real world!:icon_thumright:
Thanks for the suggestion. Looking at the torque figures, I think the diesel car has the edge though; 200Nm torque from virtually at rest (1000rpm), compared to around 75nm for the 2.0T FSi. The peak torque is a good deal higher too. My principal reason for changing is to get something better for towing the car trailer so I need low down torque. Once the Impreza is moving it is fine, but it's the 0-30mph part where it struggles as the turbo isn't spinning from that point. Looking at the graphs, I imagine the 2.0T would have the same issues as the Impreza in this respect, although I agree that once in the power band it is obviously a good deal wider than the diesel car once you get there.

Ric.

Oops just paid a deposit on a 3.0TDi A4 Avant s-line.

For sale: Impreza Turbo etc etc.... :)

Hi Ric, I understand, you've made a good choice, you will not be dissapointed, I wasn't going from an STI to a the 2.0T I have now. The insurance and fuel bills are certainly a lot smaller!

Enjoy your car when you get it, let us know how you go on!

Yorkie

Make sure you get some pics of it up :icon_thumright: and some of the imprea too if you like.

Randomjim said:
Make sure you get some pics of it up :icon_thumright: and some of the imprea too if you like.

I'll be picking it up next week probably. Will be sure to post some piccies as soon as I get the chance :thumbsup:

Picked up the A4 last night. Very pleased with it - here are a few pics.

http://www.richmet.com/gallery/AudiA4/

One question: It has Xenon headlights with the light sensor so they come on automatically, and it also has the arrive home/leave home feature. Both of these use the light sensor in the interior mirror so they only operate in certain lighting conditions. This morning at about 9am, when I unlocked the car the lights didn't come on for the leave home feature because it was already light, but when I started the car the headlights did come on. Should this be happening? Daytime running lights switch is in the off position.

Cheers,
Ric.

Actually, ignore that question about headlights - just tried it again and working fine. Must have just been a bit too dull first thing :thumbsup: