Bluetooth Retrofit - Voice Control Support?

lawco

Reaction score
Another Bluetooth Retrofit question I'm afraid....

I am planning to buy this bluetooth retrofit kit from Kufatec; http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p401_Bluetooth-Kit-Retofit-Audi-A4-8E--only-bluetooth-.html and fit this in my 2007 A4 SLine SE.
After reading the numerous posts here and on Navplus.us I think I have a clear idea how to do this but I there is one grey area which I hope someone can shed some light on :-

If I fit this kit do I need to buy / do anything else to get the Voice Control to work (SDS)? I have a multifunction steering wheel.

With hindsight I wish I had the Bluetooth as a factory option instead of the CD changer which I won't use as the SD card MP3 makes this somewhat redundant!

Thanks in advance.

I take it that you have RNS-E already? In that case you dont need any more hardware to enable SDS, You just need to re-wire the Mic for the BT kit so it passes through the RNS-E instead of going straight to the BT module.

You will of course need to load the hacked SDS firmware into the RNS-E via a CD and re-code using VAG-COM.

Are you talking voice control of the phone kit, or voice control of the RNS-E (which is what SDS is)?

Voice control of the phone kit is an integral feature of the phone kit - so long as your MFSW and phone module are coded correctly.

Voice control of the RNS-E (SDS) requires connecting the phone mic to the RNS-E and the mic outputs of the RNS-E to the mic inputs of the phone module PLUS applying the SDS hack SW upgrade to the RNS-E (unless you have a "genuine" SDS capable RNS-E like I have).

BTW there is NO coding difference to the RNS-E with SDS - that's a great "urban myth", the only coding difference with SDS is to the phone module (you have to turn off the phone module voice recognition, otherwise both the RNS-E AND the phone module have active voice recognition)

Many thanks guys,

What are the chances that my RNS-E is SDS capable already? The car is a Nov 07 A4 Sline SE and the RNS-E was factory fit. Is it possible to what HW & SW version I have rom the RNS-E screens?

If your RNS-E was factory fit and you never paid extra for the SDS feature when you bought the car then it wont be an SDS unit that you have. Audi would never give it away without you paying extra for it!!

Check its part number to make sure, the last letter of the part number indicates what type of unit you have.

Press the CAR button, it will show what HW and SW you are currently running.

Thanks for your words of wisdom guys. I have searched high and low on the NAVPLUS.US site for the software upgrade/hack - found plenty of other people asking after it but no joy finding a link. I have even 'googled' the relevant terms to no avail. Does anyone know where this can be acquired from?

Many thanks

Many thanks s8craig, I was considering asking you to carry out the bluetooth retrofit but you are in Manchester which is about 4-5 hours drive from me. I am an electronics and software engineer so I should have the skills required to do this myself and there seems to be a wealth of experience and knowledge here and on the NAVPLUS forum.

Thanks again.