EM TuningSky Insurance
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    ianhowell's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    42

    Day Time Running Lights A4 3.0V6 TDi

    Quick question, what are the bulbs in the Day Time running lights?

    Looking to try and get some LED replacements.

    Anybody recommend some?

    Ian
    A4 (B7) Saloon 3.0V6 Tdi Quattro S-Line in Red, 2006.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,155
    A guy I know bought his from HERE

    Dont forget you might need to wire in a resistor to each one to prevent the blown bulb warning triggering in the DIS.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

  4. #3
    andyccr's Avatar
    2003 1.8T Sport Ebony Black A4 Cabriolet

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex
    Posts
    440
    Would have thought it'd be the same as the B6 which uses '501' and I agree with the LED problem and DIS.
    Try www.ultraleds.co.uk for loads of different LED options

    Andy
    B6 1.8T Sport Cabriolet - Ebony Black & Red Sports Leather-19" Sportec Mono10s-Bootlip spoiler-One touch roof module-Green Cotton filter-Forge 007 - 2007 rear lamps-2007 OEM interior dimming compass mirror-OEM S4 heated, elec folding, dimming aluminium door mirrors-2007 RS4 cabriolet exhaust-2007 RS4 Carbon trim-2007 RS4 starter button-2007 RS4 inner door handles- A4 DTM carbon front splitter
    1994 UK MX5 in rare Laguna Blue
    2003 Yamaha R1 (5PW) Tech Silver - not standard !

  5. #4
    ianhowell's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    42
    Thanks guys, I am aware of those sites and also www.hids4u.co.uk.

    As for the bulb its not the 501.
    It isn't the side light bulb, it is a bulb similar to a small rear light bulb for the Day Time Running light. Only found on the B7 model onwards I believe onwards.

    Ian
    A4 (B7) Saloon 3.0V6 Tdi Quattro S-Line in Red, 2006.

  6. #5
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    up north...
    Posts
    767
    this might be the same as the DRL bulb in the a3 bixenon - its a 21w filament bulb similar to ones used typically for rear brake lights etc.

    if you use a led, you might be able to use vag-com to turn of the cold lamp diagnostics for the drl bulbs instead of using resistors, otherwise you are going to have to dissipate the majority of the 21w to not trigger the bulb sensor
    TT-RS 410hp revo
    Fiat 500 1.3 tdi 120hp
    A3 8P 2.0tdi 240hp Autograph Cars
    RS4 B5 520hp MTM
    S3 8L 345hp MTM
    Volvo 850 T5 300hp BSR
    Fiat Punto GT 130hp
    Lancia Delta Turbo 185hp
    Lancia Beta Coupe 122hp
    Mini 74hp

  7. #6
    ianhowell's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    42
    Yes it is the same I think, mine is the bi-xenon and the A3 uses the same DRL. Do you know what bulb it uses?

    Ian
    A4 (B7) Saloon 3.0V6 Tdi Quattro S-Line in Red, 2006.

  8. #7
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,155
    Loads of info about fitting LED's into the DRL's in this thread
    A6 3.0 TDI.

  9. #8
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Southampton/uk
    Posts
    6
    goto:
    http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/audi-...4-b7-drls.html

    Andyuk911 has a step by step guide on how to fit the drl's

    i've just ordered some white drl led bulbs, they are 1156 fitment.
    A4 B7 2.0T FSI Cab S-Line - Phantom Black = Something for the weekend!
    A3 8L 1.9TDI SE 5DR - Crystal Blue = Local Run-around

  10. #9
    Richardesty's Avatar
    loves quattro

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Louth
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by ianhowell View Post
    Quick question, what are the bulbs in the Day Time running lights?

    Looking to try and get some LED replacements.

    Anybody recommend some?

    Ian
    Hi Ian

    You'll need a BA15s bulb, also known as a 382 or 1156:
    http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/1156-sing...1_133_140.html

    Beware though - different led configurations can vary very much in appearance, as in how they work with the reflector. If you get the wrong one's you'll just end up with a 'spot' as opposed to a lens full of light. Also - some (like those in the RS4 thread) can look yellow in the reflector when off.

    The one's I currently use look more like this - and give full light:


    I've actually swapped mine over with the indicator position - but they look like this when on in comparison with filament bulbs. The left side shows an led, the right side shows a PIAA Xtreme white filament bulb (so not as yellow as standard!):


    If you go 'led' you will also need to fit a load resistor to each side, else you'll get the 'bulb out' warning as led's don't provide the resistance of a standard bulb:
    http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/loada-sol...bs-p-1213.html

    Hope this helps
    Last edited by Richardesty; 17th December 2008 at 07:13.

  11. #10
    V6 Quatt's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    744
    Is this possible with Audi B6 side lights that have OEM Xennons

    Advice appriciated.

    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardesty View Post
    Hi Ian

    You'll need a BA15s bulb, also known as a 382 or 1156:
    http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/1156-sing...1_133_140.html

    Beware though - different led configurations can vary very much in appearance, as in how they work with the reflector. If you get the wrong one's you'll just end up with a 'spot' as opposed to a lens full of light. Also - some (like those in the RS4 thread) can look yellow in the reflector when off.

    The one's I currently use look more like this - and give full light:


    I've actually swapped mine over with the indicator position - but they look like this when on in comparison with filament bulbs. The left side shows an led, the right side shows a PIAA Xtreme white filament bulb (so not as yellow as standard!):


    If you go 'led' you will also need to fit a load resistor to each side, else you'll get the 'bulb out' warning as led's don't provide the resistance of a standard bulb:
    http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/loada-sol...bs-p-1213.html

    Hope this helps
    Torque the Torque

  12. #11
    Richardesty's Avatar
    loves quattro

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Louth
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by V6 Quatt View Post
    Is this possible with Audi B6 side lights that have OEM Xennons

    Advice appriciated.

    Thanks.
    Anything is possible

    the only thing with side lights is you'll probably be restricted to small 501 bulbs, which aren't the brightest in the day time.

    PM me if you want some ideas.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO