£10,000 and a Problem ! ! !

Spudgun

Reaction score
Help wanted ! !

The wife's 5 year old Fiesta is on its last legs, and we are on the verge of getting rid. We have the task of picking a new car, and would welcome your suggestions.

The criteria :-

Ten Grand is the Budget (possibly 11 but don't till the missus)

We have a 2 year old - so needs a boot/backseat area to accommodate.

Would prefer a diesel, cos mine drinks like its best mates with Kieffer Sutherland.

My Ideas currently are A3 (Don't know anything about A3's)

Thanks in advance . . . . .

Spudgun

If it was me I wouldn't hesitate in buying a Focus. A really good drive, great ride and great fun handling. The first one had a bit of a wierd interior and the plastics were a bit cheap but all screwed together well. Best seat I've ever had in a car too. New ones have a more traditional style interior and the materials are much higher quality.

Macduff

Not knowing a great deal about cars, the serviceing and the like have been done by my wifes uncle (who owns a garage).

About 6 months ago the clutch went and was replaced, since then the car has never been right.

What ever is the matter with it now is terminal, the uncle-in-law has advised to get rid. rather than throwing good money after bad.

This has really put me off Fords . . . . Especially the economy end of the range.

I did 77k on 4 years in a Focus, probably THE best car I've had.

Why not look at Octavias ? Either Mk1s or even the new Mk2s. Excellent car - don't be put off by the bullshite jokes. My Octavia vRS 1.8T petrol hatch had 230bhp and still did 35mpg with no problems.
There is loads of 55 plate Mk2 Octavia Estates for approx £10k, or loads of Mk1 Octy diesels for easily half this.
Or why not by another A4 ??? Plenty of Choice.

Or probably some of the best buys at the moment are the last run of the line Mondeo ST diesels. £10k will pick one up without too many problems. Awsome cars for the money.

I'm afraid £10k gives you too many choices !!!!!!!!! With £10k it gives you the chance to buy from main dealers (depending on brand) and get warranty !!

Andy

Fabia vRS?

Get a good un for £10k. 50+ MPG, £115 per year road tax, Skoda servicing costs, 4 doors and a reasonable boot...and built just as well as a VW.

I get more surprised with mine each month that passes.

Either a Fabia VRS or a Ibiza Cupra TDI would be slightly below your budget.

Both are really nice cars with the toss up between the slightly nicer looking but 3 door Ibiza vs the Fabia with 5 doors, like others have said ignore the Skoda badge, they are very well built and the qualitys pretty good too.

Or an import DC5 Integra Type R or CTR which would be completely barmy as the wifes run runaround but would both impress the boys down the pub when she comes to pick you up and hold their value, Hondas engines are pretty good too for reliability and servicing.

Second the Skoda Fabia vRS suggestion.

My wife drives an 05 Fabia, and I enjoy driving it (even though my daily drive is a B7 RS4). They're a surprisingly good car for anyone with or without Skoda badge "phobia".

Just like to say my Wife's car is a 1.2 Sport Fabia - lovely car to drive. We couldn't justify the vRS model as ours has only done 10k in 2 years !