Newbee - Concert II+ to RNS E RetroFit

pauladam

Reaction score
Hi,

Had my A4 (2.0TDI 170PS S-Line Avant) now for a month or so, bought used from local Audi main dealer - originaly reg'd June 07

Anyway, Im taking the plunge and planning (as so many people seem to) on retro fitting the RNS-E.

To this I have a couple of queries (apologies if these have been answered elsewhere in the forums...so many postings to trawl through...plus Im at work so cant spend the whole day going through them ;).

Firstly, in regards to the RNS-E from what I can tell I can go for quite a few of the 8E0 models - looking at the Q model as it seems to be one of the latest, but, what if any adaptors will I need to swap out my Concert II+ head unit with the RNS-E. - Ive seen some people mention its a straight swap out and some say you need adaptors...anyone know which is correct for this?

Then theres the VAG COM coding question, Im thinking of doing that myself also, is it difficult, do I definately need to do some re-coding for my car (again considering the head unit thats coming out).

My car has the GSM/Bluetooth factory prep and the Audi Ipod adaptor - suppose this comes back to the adaptor question above....but adding another bit - Will the sharkfin antenna I have be fitted with the GPS antenna already, or will I still need to get my own?

Think thats enough questions for now...

Thanks in advance

Paul

No adapters required if upgrading from a Concert II+, maybe a pin to move if you have BOSE.

Unlikely that your sharkfin will have GPS antenna included, easy to install an antenna behind the glovebox though.

VAG-COM will be required to make it function fully, ie to integrate it to the DIS and prevent fault codes being triggered. Very easy to do.

For all the RNS-E info you could ever wish for check out navplus.us

Thanks for the quick reply Isaac

Managed to get a quiet moment in the office so have done a bit further digging this afternoon - looks like Im sorted.

Still a little nervous about the VAG COM stuff though - Ive bought a VAG COM connector (and software) from ebay so will see how I get on - I made 100% sure its the right VAG COM as well as I know there are different versions based on the model of car.

Hopefully it'll be straightforward enough as you say

Issac Hunt said:
No adapters required if upgrading from a Concert II+, maybe a pin to move if you have BOSE.
Since we're talking A4 you HAVE to move the K-line (diagnostics) pin, and if you have Bose the Bose pin also.

Concert II+ to RNS-E Upgrade:

A3 without Bose - no pins to move, plug and play
A3 with Bose - have to move the Bose pin
A4 without Bose - have to move the K-line pin
A4 with Bose - have to move both the K-line AND Bose pins

Is that a definite for the b7 a4?

Dont think I have bose (guessing the speakers would have a bose logo on them if I did)?

going to be doing it tonight (my HEX CAN VAGCOM arrived this morning....is there wire cutting involved - had a look and all the connectors are the same no need for the adaptors I bought (doh!).

I am an audi newbee (hence why the questions) - so not quite sure what the K line is/what its for?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Again,

Been doing a bit further digging - whipped out my concert II+ and its pin outs are exactly as is shown here

Looking at these there is no obvious mention of a "K-Line" on connector B(apart from Connector C there is a "K-LTG" on pin 7 ????)

On the RNS-E there is the following pin out on Connector B
1 NC
2 CDC-NF GND
3 V-Signal
4 U14R-2
5 K-Line (BOSE line on the Concert Pin out)
6 CDC-Data OUT
7 BOSE pin
8 CDC-NF L in
9 CDC-NF R in
10 U14 ST CDC
11 CDC-Data in
12 CDC-Data CLK

So I can see where I might want to move pin 5 on the concert to pin 7 on the RNS-E (although I still dont think I have Bose, so do I need to?) - but where does the K-Line come from?

it cant be a swap over as pin 7 on the concert is AUX-R (again see the pic in the link above).

So, Im really confused

All help much appreciated

Thanks

Paul

or am I just being stupid here and by saying "move the k-line" you mean move the bose wire??

Cheers

Paul

pauladam said:
or am I just being stupid here and by saying "move the k-line" you mean move the bose wire??
NO!!!!!!!!!!

By K-line I mean the one called K-LTG.

What I posted IS definite for an A4 (I'm a moderator over on www.navplus.us).

Thanks PetrolDave :thumbsup:

:sorry: I do appreciate your assistance - just trying to be careful so not to fry my car a month after getting it

So out with the wire cutters then - fingers crossed!

Cheers Again

Paul

pauladam said:
I do appreciate your assistance - just trying to be careful so not to fry my car a month after getting it

So out with the wire cutters then - fingers crossed
No need for wire cutters Paul, with a bit of patience and some jewellers screwdrivers you can remove the connectors from the plastic shells and slide them into their new position.

I retrofitted the RNS-E and the glovebox coolbox the day after I collected my RS4 last year...

Cheers Dave - Sussed that out after I had a good look at the connectors - All in and working now - Just need to do the VAG COM bit now - although everything seems to be working DIS (guess I need to code it for NAV though??), Steering Wheel, GSM/Bluetooth.

Unfortunately I think my VAG COM (yes it was an ebay purchase!!) is fried as it doesnt install onto any of my pc's (Im in IT so Ive got a few to play about with...:)

It just appears as "USB Device" (tried heaps of drivers) and from what I have found I think thats a sure fire sign that its screwed, never even got a chance to plug it into the car :(

So Im waiting to hear back if the guy I got it off will replace it - If not Im going to be hunting around Aberdeen for anyone with a VAG-COM that would be willing to assist.

Cheers

Paul

Sorry to butt in.
Which Ebay seller did you buy your lead from?
:unsure: I am looking at buying one but you made me suspicious!:unsure:

Hi mavala - sent you a pm with it.

I wanted to say though that it did arrive quickly (next day!) and was exactly as described etc....I think I was just unlucky and might have got a duff one! - Will let you know if I get it replaced.

Cheers

Paul

pauladam said:
Unfortunately I think my VAG COM (yes it was an ebay purchase!!) is fried as it doesnt install onto any of my pc's (Im in IT so Ive got a few to play about with...:)

It just appears as "USB Device" (tried heaps of drivers) and from what I have found I think thats a sure fire sign that its screwed, never even got a chance to plug it into the car :(
If you didn't buy it from Ross Tech or a distributor then it's not a VAG-COM - it's a rip-off clone!

PetrolDave said:
If you didn't buy it from Ross Tech or a distributor then it's not a VAG-COM - it's a rip-off clone!

Yeah - Kind of knew that when I bought it (not going to expect it when you look at what I paid for it).

But had heard of some people who have had some success with them - so thought it was worth a try - Win some, loose some.

Nae sure if there is a dedicated forum for asking if anyone local (Aberdeen in this case) has an official Ross Tech VAG COM and would be willing to assist - if not....consider this a request :)

But I'll also have a quick check and see if there is a specific one for requests.

Cheers

Paul

Dear all. I read all your discussion but confused due to a lot information from this forum. Really it is helpful. I am also going to replace concert 2+EU to RNS-E on Seat Exeo 2012.I bought 2013 rnse and installed the rnse,only radio and media system working. At service no one could cod that. The rnse coud not seen from computer, it was not Vag Com. That is why I am going to get information from you. My car has Aux port to connect telephon to the concert 2. Now it is not working. I also bought BT bluetooth module to connect. Nothing worked. I found some information to change some pin location from here, but some people change diffirent pins,some say another things. That is way I confused.

Please direct me to solve this