iPod Connectivity Question

MorkC68

Stationary
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm toying with the idea of buying an iPod and neccessary connection cable to connect to the Audi Symphony (with dah mounted 6 CD Changer).
My questions are:
Is the Audi Cable the one to go for or the Dension version or even the connects2?
Will it totally disable the CD changer (even if the iPod isnt switched on) permenantly or temporarily till the iPod is back on.
I am aware that there will be six playlists with 99 tracks each, which is okay and the audi cable will charge it up okay too.
These may sound daft questions but I'm not up on ICE related stuff!
TVM in advance

Mr_Sixx said:
Hi everyone,
I'm toying with the idea of buying an iPod and neccessary connection cable to connect to the Audi Symphony (with dah mounted 6 CD Changer).
My questions are:
Is the Audi Cable the one to go for or the Dension version or even the connects2?
The Audi OEM is actually a re badged Dension. Sorry no experience of the Connects2

Will it totally disable the CD changer (even if the iPod isnt switched on) permanently or temporarily till the iPod is back on.
Yes the CD changer uses the same wiring so its one or the other I'm afraid.
I am aware that there will be six playlists with 99 tracks each, which is okay and the audi cable will charge it up okay too.
Not really a question here. Both of those statements are true.

There is one other alternative which will enable you to have both the iPOD integration and the CD changer. Check out the Dension site www.dension.com and take a look at the Dension Gateway 100/300 + the CD retention kit.

Thanks for the replies guys - much appreciated, just gotta get an iPod sorted now with the necessary cable.

Mitch, yeah the CD Changer is built in (back of dash or summat like that).

It looks like the Dension is the way to go by your comments and looking round the website too.

Thanks again!

mitch78 said:
I have mine in the tray (non-smoking pack).

What is the non smoking pack? I have an ash tray (flip up) and a cigar lighter but would much rather have a tray for my iPod!

Dan

marms said:
The Audi OEM is actually a re badged Dension. Sorry no experience of the Connects2

Yes the CD changer uses the same wiring so its one or the other I'm afraid.
Not really a question here. Both of those statements are true.

There is one other alternative which will enable you to have both the iPOD integration and the CD changer. Check out the Dension site www.dension.com and take a look at the Dension Gateway 100/300 + the CD retention kit.

Can I ask who told you that the Audi iPod connection is the same as the Dension? It's just you're wrong, thats all...

It's actually only the external (i.e. glovebox mounted) 6CD changer that will combine with the iPod lead as there is only one outlet for external Audio Sources on the Gen 2 and Gen 2+ Radio's. The 6CD changer built into the headunit will still work.

Nelson_Wilbury said:
Can I ask who told you that the Audi iPod connection is the same as the Dension? It's just you're wrong, thats all...

Well I opened my Audi iPOD adapter (purchased from yourself) as I wanted to try a little project (but thats another story) and I can confirm that the circuit board in the Audi iPOD adapter has the name Dension stamped on it.

Not arguing here, just stating my findings.

Saw one of the Audi iPod connection kits on eBay at Stafford Audi - £89.00.
I emailed Ben, he stated that I will still be able to use the CD changer as its built into the Symphony - result!
All I gotta do is get an iPod now and get connecting. Hardwired the p/s to my Tomtom charger via a fused & switched live feed. No cable getting in the way now, much neater and tidier!:icon_thumright:

Thanks for the advice and replies

mitch78 said:
It removes the ash tray and puts a neat little tray in it's place that is an ideal size for maybe a few cds or a mobile and an iPod.

Is it factory or retro fit?

I just wanted to make you aware of another solution to this iPod or USB mem stick installation problem.

X-car-link make a solution for either dedicated iPod charge & control or another solution which gives you the option for USB mem stick for tracks to be played off or a 3.5mm input so you can use your own MP3 player and just jack-in to the Audi head unit.

More info here.
http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/home.php?cat=4

I put one of these into a car I had recently and it was easy to fit and use.

Mr_Sixx said:
Had the Audi iPod Adaptor fitted last thursday, glovebox mounted. Sound is great, works very well with the CD Changer too.
How do you select between the iPod and a CD?

PetrolDave said:
How do you select between the iPod and a CD?

If your in iPod Mode, you just press the CD button to transfer over to (Symphony) CD Changer and use as normal - it shows up in the DIS as CD whilst the iPod shows up as CDC. Pressing the CD button changes back to iPod again. Use the buttons to scroll from CD1 to CD6 moves between playlists on the iPod or CD's if in CD mode.

Mr_Sixx said:
If your in iPod Mode, you just press the CD button to transfer over to (Symphony) CD Changer and use as normal
As I thought - you still can't have the iPod interface and an external CD changer .... so if you have an RNS-E it's still a case of either iPod or CD changer if you stick to OE parts.