2008 Audi A4 review

torres

Reaction score
"Audi opens up new horizons. The A4 is a sporty car with superb presence on the road; it takes Audi forward into a new dimension on the midsize car market. The engines that power the saloon, both TDI and spark-ignition, in all cases with direct fuel injection, combine effortless power with high efficiency. The dynamic running gear and the use of many technologies taken direct from the large-car category are evidence of the brand’s lead in technical know-how. The new Audi is a new way to drive. It will reach the market at the end of November 2007, at a basic list price of about 26,000 Euros in Germany..."

This is from a new review on the 2008 Audi A4, from Top Speed. It includes info on the design, safety and performance of the model, as well as other features.
Also available is a video and wallpaper / photo gallery.

audi_a4_1_6w.jpg

audi_a4_5_1w.jpg

audi_a4_4_dw.jpg

Here is the link to the full article:
2008 Audi A4 - Top Speed

And the link to the picture gallery:
2008 Audi A4 wallpapers and high resolution photos - Top Speed

The TopSpeed article isn't really a review, just a revamp of the marketing info already released. They don't claim to have driven the new A4 which I would say is pretty fundamental in reviewing a car ;)
Still, it's got some pics I've not seen before and I guess it's growing on me a little. My biggest gripe is that the styling isn't noticeably different from the current B7 and I thought/hoped Audi would be a little braver.
Look at what Jaguar have done with the S-Type replacement (is it the XF?). I know it's a different category of car although based on current price estimates it looks like it'll compete against a moderately specced B7 3.0Tdi Quattro A4!

Apparently it's available to order in the UK from the 11th, specs and prices appear then

RedSportback said:
Apparently it's available to order in the UK from the 11th, specs and prices appear then

I think it's the 23rd,after the Frankfurt show.
From the Audi website:

"The official unveiling of the new A4 will be at the Frankfurt Motor Show. The show runs from September 13 to September 23 at the Frankfurt Fairground in Frankfurt, Germany.
FOLLOWING THE SHOW,initial ordering for the new A4 will be open, and the first models are expected to be available in early 2008"

Sorry David,literally just noticed your message after posting the same link on the A3 forum !

Ye Gods! Audi are taking the michael on the A4 pricing (again). The prices are comparitive with the A6. They're also only a fraction short of the A5 but they've stripped out many of the goodies (leather, xenons etc) and made them expensive extras.

Then again, I wouldn't trust anything in the current online price list as it's got inconsistencies. e.g. which wheels come as standard with the SE model? SE spec list says 6 spoke but the subsequent pricing says 7 spoke.

It's also highly amusing that there's only one variant available ... but it's not the "standard" model, it's the SE model. Ah, marketeers, got to love 'em. Do they really think we're all as dumb as they are? Then again, I guess it wouldn't cut it if they launched with SE model rebadged as the "standard" model and then subsequently launched the A4 No Frills spec.

I don't get it. Why would anyone buy the new A4 rather than the A6? Many of you will ... but why???

Is it just me are does the new A4 lights (rear) remind you of the new 3-series lights ???. Also the way Audi are going with the interior (console area, ie radio heater controls ) in the A4/A5 kind of tilted slightly towards teh driver is a bit BMW esque ?????. any opnions

I agree with the BMw esque'ness of it, and I'm hateing the led lights. An A5 drove past me a few days ago and I thought it looked rather tacky (feel free to slate this opinion). I've just ordered one of the last B7's cos im really not sure about this one - I fell in love with the B7 the sec I saw it and have loved my big diesel for the last 3 years

Yarp, really not impressed with the 3 series dash and rear end look.....come on audi. the A5 is just fantastic so why not give us a new A4 that has something others might want to copy????

The front is nice though, very nice, and those LED lights need to be placed closer together so it looks like a seemless line.

audivirgin said:
I agree with the BMw esque'ness of it, and I'm hateing the led lights. An A5 drove past me a few days ago and I thought it looked rather tacky (feel free to slate this opinion). I've just ordered one of the last B7's cos im really not sure about this one - I fell in love with the B7 the sec I saw it and have loved my big diesel for the last 3 years

The LEDs look like fairy lights. They make it look like a council house at Christmas.

Ripped from JC Top Gear.

Phil's Barber said:
The LEDs look like fairy lights. They make it look like a council house at Christmas.

Ripped from JC Top Gear.

I laughed out loud when he said that.
He's right, of course.